Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding/lapping/honing tiny bevels and corner roundings to cutting edges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding/lapping/honing tiny bevels and corner roundings to cutting edges?

On my quest to sharpen CBN inserts I was wondering what would be best home shop solution to bevel the insert edges?

Beveling or "Y" in this pic is something like 0.004"

How critical is the "sharpening" (intentional blunting, really)?

Just a rub on a diamond hone would probably do the job if you have the means to inspect the result.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

I guess, if you need any precision, it can be done on a surface grinder using a 20-degree fixture or sine plate, very fine grit diamond wheel and carefully approaching the edge. I'd try painting the edge with a marker and just touch the corner till the marker disappears along the edge.

A quick and dirty calculation shows that the total wheel downfeed after the initial corner touch-up will be about .0013". Seems to be quite doable. A good magnifier will be needed.

A low tech (and easier) approach would be to make a jig with a proper angle, set the insert edge protrusion (same .0013") and grind it against a diamond hone.
      Last edited by MichaelP; 12-11-2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

A Lansky knife sharpener system would do it.

I bet it doesn't need to be that precise though, and that in reality you could just knock the edge off at approximately 20* by hand and get great results. I do this with a diamond lap on carbide inserts occasionally and found that the actual angle is not as critical as just getting an even and flat edge.

Comment

Some of the manufacturer literature suggests pretty much that.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Use a goniometer.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
              I guess, if you need any precision, it can be done on a surface grinder using a 20-degree fixture or sine plate, very fine grit diamond wheel and carefully approaching the edge. I'd try painting the edge with a marker and just touch the corner till the marker disappears along the edge.

A quick and dirty calculation shows that the total wheel downfeed after the initial corner touch-up will be about .0013". Seems to be quite doable. A good magnifier will be needed.

A low tech (and easier) approach would be to make a jig with a proper angle, set the insert edge protrusion (same .0013") and grind it against a diamond hone.
              The insert has also something like 1/32" nose radius so that is added difficulty with surface grinder.

I was thinking of hand-holding the insert on end of stick/rod and rotating it against lap.
              Result depends a lot on fine motoric skills as you would need to go by "feel" and timing, examining the results later with loupe/microscope.
              Or maybe something semi-soft would be even better "lap". Perhaps not quite buffing wheel. MDF (wood fiber board) wheels are popular among knife folks, maybe I give that one a try.

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
                Use a goniometer.
                While a goniometer could be used, a goniostat is what you need They have been used since the mid 17th century for sharpening tool bits.

Comment

I'm trying to think of the name for a professional who uses one of these ginometer things...

Comment

Originally posted by Yondering View Post
                    I'm trying to think of the name for a professional who uses one of these ginometer things...
                    That would be a bartender

Comment

Originally posted by Yondering View Post
                      Must be somebody from the Veterans Administration (VA). A well calibrated VA ginometer is indispensable.
                      Last edited by MichaelP; 12-13-2017, 12:59 AM.

Comment

I think I want one of these.

Comment

Working...
                        X