90% OT.. riddle me this....Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90% OT.. riddle me this....Ebay

I bid on an item. Few hrs later there is a second bid and my bid gets run up close to my max, but I'm still high bid. I check the auction and it says '1 bid' which is a hotlink, so I click it. It shows another users name and bid (the second bidder I assume), but not mine. I then login, and again click '1 bid' and now it shows my name but not the others. I logout and it goes back to other users info. Then there is a third bid and I am outbid (thinking good riddance at this point). I once again go and check out the listing. It says '2 bids' when there are actually 3, and I click to see the bid history and this is what I see:
    Bidders:
    Bids:
    Bid Amount Bid Time
    d***m(0) $132.50 10 Dec 2017 at 10:41:04AM PST
    d***h(637) $130.00 9 Dec 2017 at 8:22:34AM PST

The two names are fishy to me. And why the hell the discrepancy on how many bids there are? I'm not listed at all. Just loony. I posted to ebay community and got crickets.

You will only see your name as a bidder when you're logged in. When you're not logged in, the bidder (you) will look anonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by softtail View Post
      I posted to ebay community and got crickets.
      Should see your Dr. about that immediately..

Comment

Even if you are logged in, other bidder names are redacted. You can look at their bid history and see if they only bid for this seller. Shill bidding is rampant on Ebay.

Comment

It sounds like you hit different servers. Not unusual.

5 years ago ebay switched from an architecture that kept thousands of computers that made up a massively duplicated and distributed database synchronized in real time to one that synchronizes them in batches on a schedule. The prototype had that exact problem where clicking multiple times will show information based on the point in time that the server was last refreshed.

I retired at that point so I don't know if they ever fixed it.

Oh well. At least it did not cost you anything.
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
            It sounds like you hit different servers. Not unusual.

Oh well. At least it did not cost you anything.
            Why would a different server not show the correct number of bids? If I hit a different server, I can do it 100% of the time in this case. Doesn't make sense.

But yes, glad to be rid of it...

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
              Even if you are logged in, other bidder names are redacted. You can look at their bid history and see if they only bid for this seller. Shill bidding is rampant on Ebay.
              I believe shill bidding is rampant all over the 'net. I have bid on a variety of relatively unique things from different sites and will see bidders come in late to drive the price up. When they win, I'll see the same item come up again for auction a week or two later. There are either a lot of folks who back out after they win - or a bunch of shill bidders...

Comment

Ignore the bidding items and only buy-it-now (if you think the price is reasonable).

Comment

OP--don't worry about the minutia. Enter your max bid and busy yourself with something useful while you wait until the end of the auction to see if you had bid enough to win.
                  12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                  Index "Super 55" mill
                  18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                  7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                  24" State disc sander

Comment

Seeing bidders with zero or very low feedback can definitely be an indication of a shill bidder, especially on expensive items. If it's something expensive and I want it, I establish a max price in my non-emotional mind well before the bidding ends - but I do NOT bid. Then I make a note of when the auction ends and log back in 15 minutes before it ends to see if the bidding has exceeded the price I was willing to pay. If it's still below my max bid price, I wait until 2-3 minutes before the auction ends and then simply queue up my max bid - but do not confirm it yet. Then wait until there's about 6 seconds left and submit my one and only bid (I have a pretty fast internet connection so 6 seconds is usually good). If I win it, I win it - great. If I don't, no loss because I didn't pay more than I was willing to pay in a rational state of mind. And in the event I get emotional (i.e. if it's something I really want or I've had more than 1 beer ;-), there's no time left to bid higher with only seconds left. Works for me.

Comment

Normally I don't fuss with bidding. Recently, however, I saw a MOS/NIB Airco handle plus cutting attachment listed for $10. I put in a bid for $12 and forgot about it. Naturally, my bid won! So I can say for sure there wasn't a shill on that auction.

BTW I don't need the torch stuff but someday I'll find someone else who is a fan of Airco oxyacetylene gear and offer them something they can't refuse.

metalmagpie

Comment

3 Phase is right... ebay generates fake user id's in a (lame) attempt to autonomize who is bidding. The dazzling part is that when you login, you get the privilege of seeing your real id while the others remain autonomized. Sheesh.

Anyways, carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by softtail View Post
                          Why would a different server not show the correct number of bids? If I hit a different server, I can do it 100% of the time in this case. Doesn't make sense.

But yes, glad to be rid of it...

Imagine a database that is duplicated on 1000 servers. When you access a particular auction, one of those servers is chosen more or less at random to provide the information that you see on the web site. When there is an update to one of the bits of data, you have to copy that change to all 1000 machines. If, for some reason, the update does not go as planned you end up with some of those 1000 servers with copies of the database that are out of step.

Over the course of a few minutes, the ones that are out of step are eventually updated. That's small comfort when you are trying to win a bid.

Dan
                          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by ezduzit View Post
                            OP--don't worry about the minutia. Enter your max bid and busy yourself with something useful while you wait until the end of the auction to see if you had bid enough to win.
                            This exactly. Bid what you want and don't worry about the process. I use a sniping service so my bid goes in at the last second so no one "outbids" me because they saw my bid. Either I get it or I don't. I set it and forget it. Don't play their game of second guessing your own bid.

Comment

Working...
                            X