OT: your credit card number....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: your credit card number....

I got a surprise today..... a charge for $99 on my new VISA credit card.

I've had what I consider scam artists after me. One of those deals where you buy something for a discounted price and if you don't cancel the deal they'll send you a refill in one year for $99.

Since I had canceled the original credit card my assumption was they couldn't charge my new card. That's the surprise, they put in the $99 charge against my old card and bank supplied them with the new card number for the charge.

The bank's reasoning is the charge isn't against the specific card, it's against the line of credit the bank grants you when you are given the card.

Something to be aware of......

BTW, I didn't get the new card to escape the scammers, but to get a card with better rewards. The bank has removed the charge from my account since they're sure it's a scam.

That is insane and outrageous. I would contest the charge. If you don't win, cancel the card.

Comment

I have wished the bank WOULD give the new number.... Had some things with annual charges that I WANTED and approved.... Card changed, but stayed with same bank and SAME card type (Visa, I think). All they did was adda "-1" or some such thing to the end of it, but that was enough to mess it up

So, next annual charge did not go through, but I did not realize it. That was a mess to clear up, it was something like software maintenance that had penalties for "restarting maintenance" that they wanted to apply. Because I had the automatic pay, there was no "amount due" notice sent, and I got the overdue notice about 6 or 8 weeks later.

Figures that the legitimate charge I had would not go through, but the scammers you had could get the info updated and do the deed.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        I have wished the bank WOULD give the new number...
        I'm just the opposite. The only times I've had cards cancelled and re-issued is when the card had been compromised. I damn sure don't want the bank 'forwarding' charges to those cancelled cards!

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
          I'm just the opposite. The only times I've had cards cancelled and re-issued is when the card had been compromised. I damn sure don't want the bank 'forwarding' charges to those cancelled cards!
          Yeah, but the thing is that THEY initiated the change of card, there was nothing ever cancelled "for cause", they just changed the cards for some reason. As far as I knew it was just the new card for the same account, which is just what it really was.

But it messed up the automatic payments.

Agree, if there was a cancelled card for the purpose of getting away from a "compromised" card, I'd want the change to work, not have everything follow to the new one, or there would be no point in HAVING a new card.... But it was not that kind of deal.
          Last edited by J Tiers; 12-11-2017, 07:53 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

The only times we have received new cards were
            a) The account was sold to another bank.
            b) The bank merged.
            c) The account was compromised, either directly or via a data breach. *

We have had more than one case where a credit card was honored despite the fact that the company who was "automatically renewing" was not given the new exp date nor security code. It was supposed to cancel the account when the credit card expired.

* Only a few accounts were compromised. Most banks sent me a notice that it was compromised. One simply sent a new card with no explanation and I found through the SANS mailing list that the bank had suffered a major data breach.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

possibly.... Obviously I do/did not know about it.

It would have been nice to know that it was changed for a reason that involved old authorized payments not working......

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                The only times we have received new cards were
                a) The account was sold to another bank.
                b) The bank merged.
                c) The account was compromised, either directly or via a data breach.

We have had more than one case where a credit card was honored despite the fact that the company who was "automatically renewing" was not given the new exp date nor security code. It was supposed to cancel the account when the credit card expired.

* Only a few accounts were compromised. Most banks sent me a notice that it was compromised. One simply sent a new card with no explanation and I found through the SANS mailing list that the bank had suffered a major data breach.

Dan
                I would add that banks also have been issuing new cards with a chip, usually with the old number.

I have had cards compromised twice in the last 5 years. Both times my CU and/or the card company replaced them immediately with a new card which had a new number. Both times the charges were cancelled. Now I check my cards accounts once or twice a week for fraudulent charges.

Comment

Had a sharp salesman in Vegas call the card company when someone was buying 2 Rolex's & he didn't complete the sale when they couldn't produce ID but they ran up about $2k in eats & drinks at places I'm too cheap to go.
                  "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                  world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                  country, in easy stages."
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

I don't know a lot about how they can finagle credit cards.
                    What I do know, is that if your wife of 23 years hand you her credit card to pick something up and says "The pin's easy to remember, it's our anniversary" The smart husband goes to the store, pays with cash and claims the scanner was down. He does NOT ask "what was that"

Comment

Originally posted by kendall View Post
                      I don't know a lot about how they can finagle credit cards.
                      What I do know, is that if your wife of 23 years hand you her credit card to pick something up and says "The pin's easy to remember, it's our anniversary" The smart husband goes to the store, pays with cash and claims the scanner was down. He does NOT ask "what was that"
                      LOL yes!

My wife knew me well enough to engrave our anniversary on my wedding ring when we got married. I've referenced it many times since then.

Comment

My MasterCard allows me to go online and generate a one-time use card number. That number expires at the end of the month it was issued in, it has its own CCV number and if you want, you can set a maximum charge amount. It is also only valid at the first merchant that puts thru a charge against it.
                        Its also a great way to charge magazine subscriptions with companies that insist on automatic renewal.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank K View Post
                          My MasterCard allows me to go online and generate a one-time use card number. That number expires at the end of the month it was issued in, it has its own CCV number and if you want, you can set a maximum charge amount. It is also only valid at the first merchant that puts thru a charge against it.
                          Its also a great way to charge magazine subscriptions with companies that insist on automatic renewal.
                          Same here in Portugal. I never use my original card. One deal, new virtual, one time value limited card.
                          Helder Ferreira
                          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Yondering View Post
                            LOL yes!

My wife knew me well enough to engrave our anniversary on my wedding ring when we got married. I've referenced it many times since then.
                            Last night I made reference to our anniversary saying our wedding was in 1978, she corrected me saying it was 1976. Took a minute to convince her that for once I was right on a date.

Comment

The one-use numbers sound like a good plan. I have never been made aware of any such option. But then I do not do much on-line banking.... it's been so long since I have that I probably do not remember passwords and verification facts.

Originally posted by rkepler View Post
                              Last night I made reference to our anniversary saying our wedding was in 1978, she corrected me saying it was 1976. Took a minute to convince her that for once I was right on a date.
                              You got equal positive ad negative "points" on that. "+" for actually remembering, but "-" because she was wrong...... Net result no change......
                              Last edited by J Tiers; 12-13-2017, 07:29 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X