Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1000 pieces, whats the best way to tackle this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 754 View Post
    Who care how long it takes within reason.. it could pay for 1/2 the price of a Turret used mill, or a fairly decent lathe..
    Or a car seat covered in tooling that you cant afford to order right now... or..?
    Customers care........

And folks who wanted a paying job and not a career.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

I don't know, he did not say., sounds like a hobbyistvthat just got a mill and wants more.
      I would be tickled to buy a machine and pay most of it off in one job..
      But maybe JT is right and that is not what is going on..
      But maybe he is wrong..

Comment

Better to suffer once in a while and reap the rewards, than to play it safe and be stuck where you are..

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
          Honestly...you might consider giving the job back, tell the customer it isn't practical to do with any degree of accuracy and success rate.
          Agreed. That or run away, no forwarding address. its tedious making a couple of 1/8 holes that long, and I was doing it in user friendly cast iron. even with a turret it will be bad....I've got a large(ish) cnc mill not doing much these days, make a fixture that holds a bunch, set 10 up at a time, spot, peck them all half way, flip and repeat.

Comment

Go with RichR and DRs advice and use a mill or drill press. Put a relief slot in a block of material that lets you locate the aluminum part flat against its widest dimension with a relief for the thicker middle section. The block can be mounted on an angle plate, or a flat plate clamped in a vise. Make the block long enough to hold the part against this fixture with a quick release type toggle clamp mounted to the block. DESTACO is a brand name of clamp that comes to mind here. This will allow you to quickly mount the part for spot drilling each end, and repeat its position in the block for drilling. Put a mark on one side with a sharpie to identify the side held against the block, which aids in mounting repeatably. This will allow you to quickly cycle through the spotting and drilling operations. Then you can move to the lathe and hold the part in soft jaws. Since the pieces have already been drilled, the 1/8 hole can accept a live center if additional stability is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              In aluminum, the feed would be faster, and I've never had to do that even in steel. Even adding in the time to clear chips, it has to be lots faster. If he did 0.001" instead of 0.0001" (per your numbers) that would be 44 hours.... better anyway.
              Never gun drilled aluminium but that was one gun drill manufacturer recommendation for gummy alu.

Comment

This is my setup test last night. Used a center drill to start the holes, after center drilling all of them I did the drilling through. Lots of pecking, short pecks to break chips then withdrawing to clear the flutes. Had to rub my brush handle on the drill a couple times to clear stubborn chips. Used rapid tap to lube, helps a ton. Had a pop out the side but then started indexing the parts and that resolved it. Takes about 3 minutes per part total.

The diameter turning takes only 90 seconds, and then washing the parts so it comes out to about 5 mins per part. Looking at 83 hours of labour total.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you just got one, that is far better than I have done. Good on yah. It looked harder from here (the other end of the wire)....

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

So do you want the job ? Its a nice chunk of money. I would not turn it down.

Your sideclamps holding the V block gives me an idea. My jaws have no vertical centering V.
                    Making a piece that looks like the work stop you clamp on the vice jaw. EXCEPT make it long, to straddle the Vblock, yet clamp to jaw on both sides..
                    Great idea, Thanks

Comment

Perhaps check a few of the parts to see if the extrusion is actually centered in the molded on ends. If this was all done with some room for error by the molding company it may explain bursting through the side on a couple. You may find you need to fixture off the actual extrusion in the gap between the molded on ends.

Comment

""The diameter turning takes only 90 seconds, and then washing the parts so it comes out to about 5 mins per part. Looking at 83 hours of labour total.""

Toss them in a bucket and wash in bulk.... if you can take a minute off the time per each. That is 1000/60 = 16 hours of washing etc taken off the total. close to 8 hours if the individual wash time was 30 sec.

edit: 90 sec turning, 3 min drill, 30 sec wash (or less in bulk). Then packing up parts to take/send back..... don't forget that part of it.
                        Last edited by J Tiers; 12-13-2017, 03:04 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

dishwasher, top shelf. Buy the wife a massage or something to get her out of the house for a couple hours

Edit: don't use standard dish soap. It's hell on aluminum motorcycle cases and case covers, and other aluminum parts.....or so I've heard.....

Comment

I'm taking the job. It's good money. Pays for more than half the shop (from what I can remember paying for most of my stuff...)

The aluminum seems well placed in the part with respect to the outer diameters I'm squeezing on. The "brake pads" that go into that middle gap that are forced outwards when the tube is twisted, would require a degree of sameness otherwise one would not get sufficient pressure on the tube inner wall before the other one maxed out.

The parts come loose in a box of 500 so packing them up is no problem, just pour them in.

I washed them in a tub with dish soap (if it works on aluminum pots, why not) but might buy some parts washer fluid to use. The rapid tap has a pretty gross smell. The reason for the longer cleaning time is to include blowing the hole out with the air gun after drilling, then the rinsing and a quick hand rub to get off stubborn chips, then blowing the water out of the hole. 30 seconds is probably more than it really adds up to.

This job isn't a rush so I have a few months to work through them.

Guys, you were all a big help in helping me figure out how to tackle this job. Much appreciated.

Comment

Dish soap like Dawn is fine.

The DISHWASHER soap is the bad stuff, lots of grease cutting alkali in it.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

But then you can't use the dishwasher...well, you still can, but you are in for a surprise.

Comment

Working...
                                X