Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1000 pieces, whats the best way to tackle this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I meant dishWASHER soap, the powdered kind, is not nice for aluminum.

Originally posted by dave_r View Post
    But then you can't use the dishwasher...well, you still can, but you are in for a surprise.
    I did that once when I was about 8. Boy mom was pissed. lol.

Comment

After doing about 80 pieces and getting a few bursting out the sides, I decided to make some vise jaws that would align it better. The issue is that the location of the aluminum extrusion is not consistent WRT the outer round plastic. The jaws grip the aluminum directly and so this no longer makes an issue. Using a drill to actuate the vise helps speed it up.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Only another 930 or so and you get the fat check.
        You are past the big hurdle..

Comment

Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
          After doing about 80 pieces and getting a few bursting out the sides, I decided to make some vise jaws that would align it better. The issue is that the location of the aluminum extrusion is not consistent WRT the outer round plastic. The jaws grip the aluminum directly and so this no longer makes an issue. Using a drill to actuate the vise helps speed it up.

When I suggested this method what I had in mind were jaws that overhung to the side of the vise so the parts would come in from the side rather than dropping down. Coming in from the side would only need a small movement of the vise jaw, no drill needed for the few turns of the vise handle.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
            When I suggested this method what I had in mind were jaws that overhung to the side of the vise so the parts would come in from the side rather than dropping down. Coming in from the side would only need a small movement of the vise jaw, no drill needed for the few turns of the vise handle.
            That would have been a good way to handle it.

Comment

You can stil, do that, just part of learning and stream lining the job.
              Note if you do that, you may want to put a block of same size on opposite end so give clamps evenly..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                You can stil, do that, just part of learning and stream lining the job.
                Note if you do that, you may want to put a block of same size on opposite end so give clamps evenly..
                I happened to have a nice piece of scrap for the way i did it there (the two jaws used 100% of the only scrap 1" thick piece I had) and considering it took me 4 hours or so to do those, redoing it to buy 4 seconds per part isn't worth it time-wise, plus going to buy suitable material.

With a drill it takes less than a second to move so I'll tough it out.

Comment

It's been nearly a month... how did this job turn out ???

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
                    It's been nearly a month... how did this job turn out ???
                    Work in progress. Christmas spirit kept me from doing too many over the break, and now the First robotics season is underway, and with my day job and cooking and keeping my 7 month old dog happy in the middle of winter has held it back.

I've got about 70 finished parts and about 300 drilled and waiting to be turned. I can drill about 25 per hour now so when I can find a moment I take a swing at them. The mill is right under the bedroom so I can't work after my wife goes to bed at 9.

Ive had about 20 fail from various issues. Broken drill bits in the part, side popouts, sometimes the bits wander in opposite directions and get zero overlap. Its gotten better now with the jaws so I only get a failure every 40 or so, usually a sudden drill failure. Sometimes they break for no apparent reason at only .5-.75 depth. Odd stuff.

Thanks for asking.

Comment

How often are you sharpening the drill bit? I've noticed that mine will often stop cutting just before breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdropper View Post
                        How often are you sharpening the drill bit? I've noticed that mine will often stop cutting just before breaking.
                        You should have asked how often do you change your drill bit (1/8" drill and looong hole in alu)
                        In my limited experience split-point drill needs less axial thrust and is less prone to make curved holes thanks to reduced thrust.

Matt: Did you try some of the better drills already or still going by common cheap ones?
                        118 degree split point in polished finish from real drill maker (ie. Dormer-Sandvik, Guhring, OSG, YG-1, Walter-Titex) would be still my choice if not something deep hole specific.
                        Last edited by MattiJ; 01-21-2018, 04:12 AM.

Comment

I was using some Cleline drills, black oxide that I think are made in Mexico. I tried a cheapo TiN and it went sideways in an instant.

After running low on the black oxide clelines I bought some Cleline polished drills (USA made) from KBC and it hasn't slipped or broke yet. So far they seem better than the black oxide ones.

None of them are split points, though.

Comment

Yep , black not made for hipo aluminum drilling..

Comment

Are you using appropriate techniques for Deep Drilling?
                              Peck drilling, near full retraction, adequate lube?
                              If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

Surpassed 500 parts drilled tonight, no broken drills in at least the last 100. Spun the shanks a few times and eventually got too chewed to keep using.

Anyone have tips for clearing stubborn chips from small drill flutes? With short pecking they still seem to re-combine and don't want to come off the drill. I used a wire brush but the brush didn't last. I took to rubbing the plastic brush handle on it and it wasnt effective.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X