3D Model for Timing Belt Pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Model for Timing Belt Pulley

Anybody know if there are any 3D models available for the timing belt pulleys?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Have you checked Grabcad or Thingiverse?

Comment

McMaster-Carr

Comment

Stock Drive Products SDP

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
          Stock Drive Products SDP
          Their models are not particularly accurate.

I use Gearotic, which has over 20 different timing pulley profiles. It can generate stl files for printing, but I usually export them as dxf, then create the model in Fusion 360.

Comment

Mcmaster are over-detailed, but seem otherwise OK.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Just don't use the McMaster model to 3d print the tooth profiles. That part is not exact.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                Mcmaster are over-detailed, but seem otherwise OK.

The image shows the problem with using stock models. You'll need to use supports to print one of the flanges. Cleaning these up without messing up the teeth can be hard. I would print this with the hub down and cut the upper flange off and print it separately. If you print in ABS, then use acetone to glue the pieces together. The glue joint will be as strong (or stronger since it will bind the print layers together) as the original.
                [IMG][/IMG]

p.s. The printer was under extruding when this image was made. It's still on the machine and working fine.

Comment

Elf, it reads like your model is referenced in the wrong plane making it a awkward vertical print.
                  Am I missing some nuance here? i.e. some some reason you cant flip it 90 in the slicer when going from stl or whatever to gcode? Pretty much all of the slicer programs allow this.

Edit spotted the flange bit, dont mind me.

Comment

section view.....

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

I used to make aluminum timing pulleys from extruded tooth profiles. They make a range of stamped flanges that you can stake in place on a small protrusion turned on the tooth profile. This would work good for printed pulleys too.

Comment

Duhhh, well that is exactly why I want them. What else would I do with them?

Originally posted by Erich View Post
                        Just don't use the McMaster model to 3d print the tooth profiles. That part is not exact.
                        Paul A.

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                          Duhhh, well that is exactly why I want them. What else would I do with them?
                          They are useful when you want to create a computer model of an assembly to check fits, etc. They don't work well for 3d printing because the tooth profiles are not exact (probably on purpose).

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
                            Their models are not particularly accurate.

I use Gearotic, which has over 20 different timing pulley profiles. It can generate stl files for printing, but I usually export them as dxf, then create the model in Fusion 360.
                            I use Gearotic also, but if it's just to test in model I will sometimes pull off of McMaster-Carr

Comment

There is a gear generator plugin for fusion 360. The down side is you have to know the tooth profiles and general specs for the teeth. The up side it will generate some nice gears that are accurate. The plugin was like 2$ or something like that.
                              12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
                              Logan 825 - work in progress
                              My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
                              Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
                              Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

Comment

Working...
                              X