Opinions on Acer lathes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Acer lathes?

Curious if anyone has any thoughts about Acer lathes? I might be buying a 1440G lathe soon and was wondering what people thought of their quality? It's a Tawainese machine, so I'm thinking it'll definitely be a step above a Grizzly or similar Chinese model. They're definitely more expensive than Chinese equivalents, so I assume it's a better product.

I have a Dynamic 1440G Acer lathe. It is very precision and high quality. Very heavy duty industrial grade. I have a DRO on mine and can easily hold any tolerance I need to. Highly recommend this one.

Comment

If I was to buy a Lathe from Chinese, or Taiwanese sources , I would pick the Acer First. Top notch castings of Meehanite Iron and superb finishing. Good Choice !

Rich

Comment

Friends have a Acer lathe, very nice to run and well built. I have a Acer 6 x 18 surface grinder and it is very good, also. I think a good choice.
        Toolznthings

Comment

You can tell a great deal about a 14x40 lathe from the weight. They vary from 1500 to 3500 pounds. Which one do you think is more solid and rigid?

I once owned a 14" YAM lathe. Thing was very heavily built. The company that bought it originally paid over $14k in '80s dollars. Absolutely no comparison with the cheapos.

I like my Nardini but I wish I hadn't sold that YAM.

metalmagpie

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like the 1440 is a great lathe, which is certainly what it appears to be. Hope to have it following me home very soon. And metalmagpie I inderstand what you're saying, but this lathe weighs the same as a Bridgeport which is at the very upper end of my ability to deal with it logistically moving around and storage-wise in my shop. So hopefully this machine will be more than an amateur hack like me will ever really need, which I'm pretty sure it will be. Thanks a again all for the help.

Comment

Well I bought the lathe, very happy to have it in my garage now. A hack like me doesn't deserve a nice lathe like this! Here's a few pics...

Comment

Very nice and congratulations on your acquisition.

Comment

Working...
                X