Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Table saw cast iron extension.. ideas for material repurpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table saw cast iron extension.. ideas for material repurpose?

I'm about to let my kid scrap this. From a nice old Atlas saw. Cast iron.. the widest face is 1.5". I've been try to come up with ideas... make a bunch of parallels, could make a square.. not coming up with any ideas that get me too excited. Anyone?

Being a woodworker as well I'm thinking that somewhere out there is a poor soul with one of those saws where someone broke the wing extensions. That person likely would give a pint of blood and an infrequently used internal organ to get these.

Comment

I've got a solid extension I removed from my saw over 10 years ago when I added a router table. Still havn't found anything to do with it yet, except move it around the garage.....

The one thought I had was to bolt it to my welding table as a right angle plate, but I picked up a nice big steel angle plate, so I don't really need it lol. Looks like if you chop the corners out of that one you'd get some nice little fab squares for welding. The middle sections could then be cut up for parallels. How close is the cross section to a tee nut for your mill table?

Or put it on craiglist and say interesting trades considered......I love doing that.

Comment

I made mine from a piece of MDF counter top that has a layer of formica or other similar on it. Very flat and friction-free. I put folding legs on it to allow me to roll the whole thing out of the center of the garage when other projects needed the space.

Comment

Manual plasma table?

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of cutting it up and using the bare material for something rather than just adapting it as a table. Probably a good thing nothing has really come to mind.. save me a bunch of work!

Comment

Ebay it. It will sell, and probably for a good amount.

Comment

Originally posted by softtail View Post
                I was thinking more along the lines of cutting it up and using the bare material for something rather than just adapting it as a table. Probably a good thing nothing has really come to mind.. save me a bunch of work!
                Do you do any welding and fab work? There are some nice shapes in there for corner clamps and such. But I have a feeling that once you start cutting into it, it's going spring and twist. Those corners won't be nice anymore, you'd probably have to skim them back to square.

Comment

Dan, yes that's along the lines I'm talking about..

Comment

Smooth the bottom surfaces up nicely and use it for a concrete stamp form.

Comment

I have the mate to it and have been wondering as well.

Comment

Granite slab on top and make a surface plate
                        Helder Ferreira
                        Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                          Being a woodworker as well I'm thinking that somewhere out there is a poor soul with one of those saws where someone broke the wing extensions. That person likely would give a pint of blood and an infrequently used internal organ to get these.
                          What he said. How many things have I tossed for a lack of parts.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                            You could post on the Vintage Machinery forum and see if someone has a saw needing one or both table wings.

Comment

Spark test it and see if its cast iron or cast steel. I recently used a saw table leaf to make a grinder stand by welding it to a poled mounted in a concrete filled truck wheel. It was a much newer saw though. An older saw is more likely cast iron. Yours might make a nice mini welding table with all the holes through it for clamping whether its iron or steel. Just have to figure out how to mount it to legs or a stand.
                              *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Working...
                              X