1/2" Goodyear hose real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2" Goodyear hose real

Created a separate thread for this as I think it deserves one. I haven't tested it yet; it just arrived at lunch time so I've only un-boxed it but I can't believe how big and heavy (65lbs) it is. I'll probably have to mount a 2x8 up on the ceiling lagged into a pair of joists and bolt this reel to the 2x8. It's about 2x bigger than I thought it was going to be. Hopefully it doesn't leak through the center fitting. It comes with 65' of nice soft rubber 1/2" ID hose. I'll post more pics and thoughts after I install it in the shop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GFA35SC

Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 12-14-2017, 02:48 PM.

Only has a bracket on 1 side, I think the ones with 1 on each side would be much better. I can see a helper pulling too hard & bending the bracket.
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
      Only has a bracket on 1 side, I think the ones with 1 on each side would be much better. I can see a helper pulling too hard & bending the bracket.
      The bracket is something like 3/16" thick plate with ribbing for even more strength. The bracket also has 4 guide rollers. I think it would be impossible to bend the bracket by pulling on the hose unless you pull the hose all the way out until it stops at the end then attached the hose to a winch and tried to pull the entire unit off the ceiling. Yea, probably would bend a little.

Comment

My 50 footer like that leaks and I have not been able to stop it. I put a valve in line so I could shut the air off when I didn't need it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobinOK View Post
          My 50 footer like that leaks and I have not been able to stop it. I put a valve in line so I could shut the air off when I didn't need it.
          Yup, that's the main concern I have. If it leaks at all then it's going straight back to Amazon. Thanks for reminding me to test the damn thing for leaks before I waste any time mounting it as it's a beast.I want to exercise the hell out of that center joint before wasting any time mounting it.
          Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 12-14-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobinOK View Post
            Do you have a picture of yours? I'm wondering if it's the same design/etc.

Comment

That should drive a 3/4" impact no problem.

Comment

Looks like the same construction as the 3/8" x 50' units from Harbor Freight. I've been very happy with mine. I have a 2nd one that I hvane't mounted yet.

Comment

I have a 3/8" x50' from Princess Auto(like Harbour Freight) doesn't leak at all. Very happy with it.

Comment

I bought a HF hose reel ~12 years ago and I remember it was complete junk so I've stayed away from hose reels in general. I don't think it was spring loaded like this one. I might have been a manual recoil version but I was turned off from hose reels completely after that.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                      The bracket is something like 3/16" thick plate with ribbing for even more strength. The bracket also has 4 guide rollers. I think it would be impossible to bend the bracket by pulling on the hose unless you pull the hose all the way out until it stops at the end then attached the hose to a winch and tried to pull the entire unit off the ceiling. Yea, probably would bend a little.
                      The forces acting on the bracket depend on whether or not you are pulling the hose directly away from the reel or if you are pulling at 90o to the reel. A friend has one of the Princess Auto units and if unreeled in line with the reeler it's quite stable but since he mounted it so that he usually pulls to the side, it did deflect quite a lot. End result was he had to make a small brace from the guides over to the wall which made it much much more rigid. He also had to tighten up all the fasteners since they were coming loose; factory tightening wasn't quite what it should have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                        The forces acting on the bracket depend on whether or not you are pulling the hose directly away from the reel or if you are pulling at 90o to the reel. A friend has one of the Princess Auto units and if unreeled in line with the reeler it's quite stable but since he mounted it so that he usually pulls to the side, it did deflect quite a lot. End result was he had to make a small brace from the guides over to the wall which made it much much more rigid. He also had to tighten up all the fasteners since they were coming loose; factory tightening wasn't quite what it should have been.
                        I don't think this unit will have any issues like that. It seems over built in that respect. This goodyear hose reel weights 64lbs. The biggest Princess Auto sells is a 1/2" 50' hose reel that weights 28lbs. This goodyear probably has 28lbs just in the arm. I'm going to need my shop crane to mount this beast.
                        Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 12-15-2017, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X