Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of lead hammers

Didn't want to do a Me-Too in the other thread but Me-Too

Just the other day I made two lead hammers, ran across this video and thought it was a pretty good idea.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnUk6EKUAKg

I used allot thinner walled aluminum tubing mainly because that is what I had. Used a step drill to drill the hole for the handle which worked real well. The handle in the larger hammer started life as the tie-rod end I replaced on my wife's Caravan some time ago. I cut the ball joint off the end and turned down the threaded section to remove the threads except for right at the end that is in the lead. I welded a nut on that end to give the lead something to grab onto. It is right at two pounds for really banging on stuff. The smaller one I didn't weigh. Handle is just a piece of aluminum rod I had laying around. Turned down the head end a bit and used a 1/8 inch roll pin to lock it into the lead.

Pouring the lead was pretty uneventful but did take two tries on the large one. I set it up on a piece of 1/4 inch plate steel with spacers to hold the handle straight. I preheated the steel plate and handles with a propane torch. First try I didn't preheat the handle enough and the lead tried to solidify before it flowed around the nut and I ended up with a mess. Just remelted it and started over, second try with more preheat worked as it should with a nice even casting.

Very nice. I need to do something like this. I misplaced my lead hammer and from time to time I need one. I might even make a mold for one just for fun since I make molds every day.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Nice work. I need to make a hammer mold as my lead hammer is getting beat up enough to recast. I'm going to try and make some lead face molds today if I get time.

Comment

P.S. One of the easiest ways to preheat a handle is to swirl the busy part in the lead. When the lead drips off nearly cleanly its fully heated. A thick shop type paper towel will help wipe off any dross before you place the handle in your mold. I do basically the same thing with lead ladles. I fill them full of lead and let them rest in the lead pot. Well, unless the pot is the ladle. Then it preheats itself. LOL.
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Nice work.

I picked up one of those hammer head molds a while back and made myself a hammer just to try it out. The lead hammer I ended up with is surprisingly useful, I find myself grabbing it all the time.

Comment

I love it for smoothing out and rounding or flattening out certain types of thin steel crumples. First time I ever used one was to round out the crumbled muffler tips on the down turned Super Craps I had on my old Electra Glide. Worked better than I hoped.

Comment

I made a hammer mold out of a piece of tail pipe tubing, split and a split bushing for the handle. Worked well. it's 10 lbs ( ) so not used all that much. I also made a green sand mold for the more commonly used size.
              mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
                Nice work.

I picked up one of those hammer head molds a while back and made myself a hammer just to try it out. The lead hammer I ended up with is surprisingly useful, I find myself grabbing it all the time.
                I have also picked up a hammer mold on ebay for about $30 was kinda beat up and had to weld up some cracks. Sold a lead hammer on ebay to help pay for it. I made about 7 a few weeks ago and will be giving some out to the son in laws for their shop projects.
                Ed
                Agua Dulce, So.California
                1950 F1 street rod
                1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
                1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
                1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame have a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
                1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S

Comment

Working...
                X