OT: Who came up with the term MAKER.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Who came up with the term MAKER.

Warning: This is a rant so feel free to hit the go back button.

When did the term MAKER come into popular use. You are seen to be someone who can fabricate something IE: a machinist, welder, woodworker, general metal basher etc. (professional or amateur) and now you are a MAKER.

Why.

Is it just people who don't know anything coming up with a term to explain what they don't know or understand or what. Too many people today can't comprehend the fact that you don't have to go to a store and buy stuff and that you can just build it (better) yourself. As a welder by trade for over 30 years and a amateur machinist for longer I hate it, when showing off something I built and somebody says "Oh, your a maker". I build models by machining, soldering, beating metal, whatever. I am a Model Engineer and proud of it, a term that has been around for over 130 years and now I'm suppose to be a MAKER. It is an insult of the first order.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that people are getting out and building thing again, no matter what it is. People who don't work with their hand are missing out in life so it is good that maybe there is a movement to reverse the tread of sitting on our arses and watching the tube in every spare moment but the term MAKER.......................................

I think we should research who came up with it, patient zero if you will and kill the bastard.

OK, the rant is over.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

There are many things in life that just need to be ignored.
    Len

Comment

first time iv really heard of the term being used like that...

Comment

Kill all these folks... you may get the right person...

https://curiositycommons.wordpress.c...f-makerspaces/

Comment

I share your dislike of the term "maker"

I'm pretty sure it has come about from the millennial generation raised by parents and grandparents who have bought everything ever needed. They're a generation or two removed from making and fixing things and therefore think they invented "making things". They have discovered all on their own (Via the internet) that your can actually make things instead of buy them, and pretty much ignore centuries of previous history and well documented trades. Growing up entirely in a time with internet they don't believe anything happened if it doesn't have a you tube video covering it from all different camera angles. They also need to put a label and category on everything, thus the "maker", or "hacker" moniker.

IMO it's both a good thing and a bad thing. It will bring more desperately needed people into the trades, and will fuel manufacturing with new idea's, enthusiasm and fresh perspectives. On the other hand, I've found it difficult to teach things that I know and have learned over the years, without referencing a video to explain it. Ie, show somebody how to machine something, and they come in the next day with a video from CNC zone (no offense to CNC zone....) and a guy with a harbour freight stepper mill saying I'm doing it wrong. Riiiight....That's a tough and frustrating hurdle to jump.....

Comment

Originally posted by softtail View Post
            Kill all these folks... you may get the right person...

https://curiositycommons.wordpress.c...f-makerspaces/
            Good start but what then?
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

The "maker" thing is just because actually making (or fixing) things is new and foreign to the millennials, and they needed a name for it. That one is catchy, and so it is what stuck.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Maker comes from users of a device known as an Arduino. A microcontroller, a percentage of a computer.

A very small percentage of the current generation of young people have ever made anything. Arduinos and their offshoots and variants have revived interest in DIY amog the young.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  The "maker" thing is just because actually making (or fixing) things is new and foreign to the millennials, and they needed a name for it. That one is catchy, and so it is what stuck.
                  +1

It's a new label which a new generation require for something which should be normal, a large part of which our grand parents used to call "Make Do And Mend".
                  If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Magicniner View Post
                    +1

It's a new label which a new generation require for something which should be normal, a large part of which our grand parents used to call "Make Do And Mend".
                    If you can change a tire on the side of a road, you are very special in the millennial world. Just wait until they are holding spots in office, if you think the snowflake movement is bad right now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Magicniner View Post
                      +1

Changing topic slightly. I become angry when I ( so often) hear the adjective " Amazing" totally misused. I would be " amazed" if a pop singer grew another head while singing, I certainly am not " amazed" when they sing well or badly. Regards David Powell.

Comment

It isn't just this one word. It seems to be the nature of modern humanoids to want to be constantly applying a new label to things. Where I first noticed it was several years ago in woodworking magazines. Someone decided to replace the term "planer" (i.e. wood planer) with the word "thicknesser." Thereafter every time I turned around I was encountering that damn word "thicknesser." I think it's some sort of ego trip to be the one to coin a new term.
                        Even so, it wouldn't be a thicknesser, it'd be a thinnerrerrrr..

Another example is the word fan; the word hasn't disappeared of course, but years ago I started seeing them labeled "Air Circulator"s ...what the hell is wrong with "fan?" Everybody knows the word fan, and it's shorter by several letters.

I especially notice the folks in my own former profession (meteorology) always coming up with new terms, for the same weather phenomena that's been around since the earth cooled.

The appeal really seems too great to resist if a foreign word can be found, ...must inflate the users sense of sophistication, I guess.
                        I'm with you, loose nut! Somebody needs to do something about all this horse hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                          If you can change a tire on the side of a road, you are very special in the millennial world. Just wait until they are holding spots in office, if you think the snowflake movement is bad right now!!!!!
                          I should have my fully paid for cabin in the woods by then. Prepaid taxes for years in advance. Do call me I'll call you......

Comment

Personally I don't find the name offensive or annoying.

Do you find craftsman annoying?

Maker generally implies the idea of hacking something together. Maker generally doesn't convey craftsmanship, rather a more general approach.

I'm a huge fan of the maker movement. For years kids and even adults were told working with your hands was not important, for stupid people etc etc. Now we finally have a somewhat charismatic movement that is engaging all ages to get their hands dirty and learn the joy of working with your hands.

The maker movement is engaging young people also to get into hobby machining. I see it all the time. First someone starts making stuff with a mitre saw and screws. Fast forward a bit and the light bulb turns on and they start looking for proper metal working equipment. 10 or so years ago the only people I talked to in machining were the older generation. Now there is a revival of sorts.

Without the charismatic "maker movement" the entire hobby would be a lot worse off. That is unless you enjoy the idea of your machines going off to the scrap yard when you are done with them.

The term maker isn't offensive, derogatory, or even imply something you are not. A lot worse things to complain about.
                            Last edited by enginuity; 12-15-2017, 01:54 PM.
                            www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

The term dates from, at least, the 14th century so it has nothing to do with Arduinos, computers or the like. It used to be a term of endearment or praise for those that could fashion useful items from raw materials. Only you guys have lowered it's value to a status of subordination. I'm proud to be a maker and a doer.

Comment

Working...
                              X