• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Builds What Tools

Handy info.
    http://pressurewashr.com/tool-industry-behemoths/

wow. great info. thanks.

Comment

Interesting read, Somehow I never heard about the Stanley/B&D merger til I read that page.

Comment

Its convoluted.. that site doesn't lay it out black and white.. as if anyone could. It's a global economy (despite what anyone says) and the bottom line drives everything.

For example:

http://toolguyd.com/snap-on-industri...s-bahco-tools/

Comment

That got me to thinking about Klein Tools. I looked up their site and they are almost all USA made.

Comment

Pretty much anything owned by Apex tool group is on my [expletive] list. It saddens me to see some great American household names go to crap in the name of somebody else's almighty dollar. I've been looking for decent files lately and I can't decide between used good American stuff on Ebay or new Swiss-made $$$$$.....

Comment

Plenty of companies missing from there. Ideal Industries being one I noticed right off. They own Ideal, Pratt-Read, SK, and Western Forge.

Oops, looking again I do see them in the lower left corner

Comment

Some great interesting facts here, thanks for posting this.

Comment

That's typically how the holding companies operate. They buy an American name brand that has a history of quality (Quality within a market) then streamline tool production. That usually includes shifting production offshore. Look what happened with the South Bend name. It was bought by Grizzly and now they sell offshore lathes with the South Bend name on them.

Comment

It's sad that Snap-on bought out Bahco. Bahco were a high quality tool manufacturer.
                    Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

It's interesting on another forum where the tool collectors know what factory made what era of tools. There are a few places that forge most of the tools and put whatever name on them the contract calls for. I'd bet that any list published is out of date within 6-18 months.

lg
                      no neat sig line

Comment

I build what I need based on two criteria.

1. Can I buy it or build it cheaper.
                        2. How soon do I need it.

Quite often number 2 is the driving criteria. I need a tool to finish a job I am working on RIGHT NOW, and the only one(s) I found for sale were either outrageously expensive or located on the wrong side of the pond.

Die drives for my lathe fell in that category at the time I needed one.
                        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Carl,

Thanks for posting the information, it was quite interesting. I've been thinking about stuff like that from time to time. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
                            It's sad that Snap-on bought out Bahco. Bahco were a high quality tool manufacturer.
                            Mark - you're joking right? Bahco have always been average quality IMO, whereas Snap-on are the best quality available.

That web site is sort of interesting, but including power tools and hand tools of all qualities makes it a bit meaningless I think. Who buys B&D more than once...and Bosch sell a Home handyman range (green) I wouldn't touch.

I noticed hand tool manufacturers Stahlwille and Koken are not mentioned.

JBS and Teng Tools are medium quality and reasonable price brands in this part of the world. Probably manufactured by one of those big conglomerates I guess..

Comment

Originally posted by Peter S View Post
                              Mark - you're joking right? Bahco have always been average quality IMO, whereas Snap-on are the best quality available.

That web site is sort of interesting, but including power tools and hand tools of all qualities makes it a bit meaningless I think. Who buys B&D more than once...and Bosch sell a Home handyman range (green) I wouldn't touch.

I noticed hand tool manufacturers Stahlwille and Koken are not mentioned.

JBS and Teng Tools are medium quality and reasonable price brands in this part of the world. Probably manufactured by one of those big conglomerates I guess..
                              Only that after new snap-on ownership the quality took pretty bad dive with some tools.

Im not sure how manu socket and combination wrench manufacturers there can be in taiwan.. many brands look like they come from same manufacturing line.

Hr tools (india) is big maker for spanners http://www.hrhandtools.com/index.php/infrastructure
                              Their forged cr-v tools are not too bad for the proce tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X