Welders all setup in new shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welders all setup in new shop

I finally got a chance to get over to a gas supplier (Thanks alanganes!) and got a 300cf bottle of Argon for TIG and a 300CF bottle of C25 for MIG. I cleaned up and plugged in my welders. I haven't used them in over 10 years! Boy they were dirty. Now I just need to build my welding table/shop bench and I'll be all set. I can't wait to see how easy or hard it will be to start welding again after taking a brake for 10+ years!

Looks good. I also have a box for my spare TIG cups and other accessories. It's not made by Miller, it's by Keds. But it does the job.
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

One thing I'll have to get is a 1.5x magnification lens as I now wear 1.5x reading glasses to clearly see stuff in front of me. Didn't need reading glasses 10 years ago!

Has anyone used a Miller Digital Elite helmet with a magnification lens installed?

Comment

Sweet setup, wish I had a getup like that. Cool helmet too, something like that may be in my future.

Comment

I have the Miller ELite, not the digital. I like it.

The cheaters make a world of difference. So does the extra tall viewport since it lets me see things outside of the puddle.
          Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Hey, it looks like you can get to them now! But I gotta tell ya, the one on the right doesn't look like a welder.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
              Hey, it looks like you can get to them now! But I gotta tell ya, the one on the right doesn't look like a welder.
              Actually, it's a plasma torch. Well, it feeds the plasma torch. Which melts metal. Which is sort of like welding. So it's sort of an accessory to sort of a welder.

Dan

Comment

Nice. A welding/tank cart is next up for me. Welders and plasma are sitting on the floor... rats nest of cables.

I have a digital elite and getting some magnification has been on my list for a while now. Love the helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                  I finally got a chance to get over to a gas supplier (Thanks alanganes!) and got a 300cf bottle of Argon for TIG and a 300CF bottle of C25 for MIG. I cleaned up and plugged in my welders. I haven't used them in over 10 years! Boy they were dirty. Now I just need to build my welding table/shop bench and I'll be all set. I can't wait to see how easy or hard it will be to start welding again after taking a brake for 10+ years!
                  Very nice setup, I think I remember you getting them and seeing them on these pages shortly after you acquired them. If you had the fundamentals down at that time I'm sure it won't take you too long to get back in the saddle again.
                  At least now that you have more time to do a little bonding with them it won't take long. Looks like the storage and subsequent clean up didn't do them any harm.
                  Nice to get reacquainted with old friends.
                  Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                    Actually, it's a plasma torch. Well, it feeds the plasma torch. Which melts metal. Which is sort of like welding. So it's sort of an accessory to sort of a welder.

Dan
                    That explains a lot! I thought it was a nitrogen tire inflation unit but it kept vaporizing the tire stems instantly. I explained the problems I was having with the manufacture and they told me to never call them back so never figured out why until now

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                      Very nice setup, I think I remember you getting them and seeing them on these pages shortly after you acquired them. If you had the fundamentals down at that time I'm sure it won't take you too long to get back in the saddle again.
                      At least now that you have more time to do a little bonding with them it won't take long. Looks like the storage and subsequent clean up didn't do them any harm.
                      Nice to get reacquainted with old friends.
                      I also have an Oxy/Acety setup with smaller 40CF tanks that I bought back around the same time as my welders but I left the Oxy/Acety rig outside under my deck a few years ago after using them to replace an A/C compressor and forgot about them. They are still outside under my deck. The last time I looked at it the hoses were completely faded and dry looking so I'll have to replace those but wondering if the regulators+tank can still be trusted. I'll probably just get new equipment but it would be nice if I can still use them as the tanks were purchased new in ~2005 but never refilled or inspected. There is probably still %50+ in them. Does anyone know if Oxy/Acety tanks are like propane tanks that need to be inspected every ~10 years or they because scrap/un-fillable/etc?

Comment

Pretty much all high pressure tanks need to be hydrotested periodically. There's a date code near the neck that tells when it was last tested.

That covers the Oxy. Not sure about the Acetylene tank.

Dan

Comment

Have you ever used those machines? They look brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by digr View Post
                            Have you ever used those machines? They look brand new.
                            Oh yea, I used the welders like crazy for about 2 years when I first bought them. Then my son was born and also got into fishing yachts and lost interest in my machining hobby until a few months ago. I've only used the plasma a few times (still on original consumable). They look new because I spent around 5 hours cleaning all of the black mouse crap and solid urine sheets off them

I'll see if I can find some pictures of what they looked like before I cleaned them yesterday.
                            Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 12-16-2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                              I also have an Oxy/Acety setup with smaller 40CF tanks that I bought back around the same time as my welders but I left the Oxy/Acety rig outside under my deck a few years ago after using them to replace an A/C compressor and forgot about them. They are still outside under my deck. The last time I looked at it the hoses were completely faded and dry looking so I'll have to replace those but wondering if the regulators+tank can still be trusted. I'll probably just get new equipment but it would be nice if I can still use them as the tanks were purchased new in ~2005 but never refilled or inspected. There is probably still %50+ in them. Does anyone know if Oxy/Acety tanks are like propane tanks that need to be inspected every ~10 years or they because scrap/un-fillable/etc?
                              Take the regulators around to a welding repair shop and they can check them for you. I took in ones I'd received from a friend that I expected hadn't been used in years and the knowledgeable lady there checked, said they were fine, did I want a new cover on the cracked one and did I prefer glass or plastic. Only charge was for the parts so I'd go back to them for anything.
                              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X