Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made marble camelback. Means lightweight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made marble camelback. Means lightweight!

90cm 40mm thick shaped like a camelback edge but obvious without the holes.
    At the moment it does not pass the hinge test. Probably because it is a 3 foot edge made on a 2 foot surface plate.
    It gives a variation of 0,02 mm. Less heat sensitive.

Giving you an idea when you think a piece of cast iron is unoptanable or to expensive or one of those reasons.

Angle grinder/ beld sander/ prussian blue and sandpaper various grits. Starting dry, ending wet. Up till now 6 hours in it.
    Stone gets more polished now and difficult to read the blue. False readings because of porosity.
    Already good enough for my plans, but will try to improve.

Do not drop.

Should put some pics up!

I'd actually considered doing something similar a while ago, but when I wanted it, I was only heating the shop when I was in it. Was afraid that temp swings would complicate it too much so kept putting it off.

Comment

I had been considering something like this myself. While thinking about it I learned that different types of marble have noticably different degrees of homogeneity, with the white marbles such as carrera and pentelic being the most homogeneous. Since the coefficient of expansion with temperature changes can vary quite a bit in a non-homogeneous piece, I figured that selection of a homogeneous blank would be important.

How/where did you get your blank ???

Comment

It is called cheating as always.
        Different people get different types of material for free. Going to cut up a Napolion II fireplace ,nobody wants, as soon as i need filler blocks for a door frame.

Got a very worn lathe i do not want to put money in. Not even a steel strait edge for 100 euro.
        So i made this from a piece leftover with vains that are dangerously fragile. Sometimes it does not even look like it is ¨glued¨ together. Watch your toes!
        Something without vains does not fracture at the last bit when cutting freehand.
        When i make something for a bathroom i do not handle with care. If it is going to brake its doing it anyway.
        They used to make lintels out of this material, strong enough with the right dimensions.

Downside is it gets scratched very easly if you slide something with a burr over it. But does not raise a burr.
        The bluing patches are big blotches of blue, unlike a cast iron surface plate. Feels more difficult to blue.
        My plate is granite.
        There must be a better way but not paying for it.

As for stability. I have seen table tops bend 2 cm over 1 meter without breaking. Sagging over time.
        For me it is a proof of concept with something to improve my lathe. Where i am at now it will.

A knowledgeble scraper at this forum said, check your camelback before using because it will move. And touch up.
        So whats the difference.

Btw no pics. Stopped buying smartphones.

Comment

Working...
        X