Real cheap skates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real cheap skates

Submitted as cheapest real skates ever. And oh, are they good.

I've used pipe to move stuff for years. But when I needed to move a 3000 lathe down sketchy trailer ramps, I was having trouble locating all of my pipe. Plus they were a bit short for the 4' wide skid, which had 4x4 runners. Did I mention the ramps (two of them), made from old rollback wrecker deck, were sketchy? They were also extremely toothy, with viciously sharp traction teeth punched up from the bottom.

But there it was, the lathe sitting on the trailer, at my storage, in the rain but covered, waiting on a couple of friends who would hopefully show up. I'd picked up some poly rollers at an online auction, 12 for $30. I was pleasantly surprised when I picked them up. They were about 2.75" wide, with 20mm ID bearings. They are basically pallet jack wheels.

With limited facility and tools, I used a chop saw to cut some 3/4" rod. Fortunately I had a drill press to drill holes for cotter pins. Sorry, this was field work - no turning grooves for snap rings! I untwisted some split lock washers to serve as thick washers. And.. VoilĂ !

The 4x4's (or 6") straddle the rod. Stuff glides beautifully. They glide over stuff that hangs up pipe. The rods tend to stay put. I wasn't really expecting that. I thought I might need to fix them to the skid, somehow. To turn, you just knock them to an angle (though there wouldn't be clearance for that on a 6" runner, at this length).

This design eliminates any attachment of a plate to the rod. I really don't see the need for it, in most cases. And welding in this critical application can create problems. Now, for moving a mill, I wonder at what weights you could just use a longer rod, and straddle the base?

The sharp teeth on the ramp did nothing to them. Any marks were temporary and they healed.

Surplus Center had wheels very much like these for less than $5 each. But it looks like they are all gone. Anyone have a link?

Of course the rain stopped right after we had it unloaded and inside.

That's a nice quick solution that will keep on giving (trying to go with an X-mas theme)!

Comment

I hit up the surplus center also and built some roller skates.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2-REUnnUww&t=9s
      Last edited by ncjeeper; 12-17-2017, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ncjeeper View Post
        I hit up the surplus center also and built some roller skates.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0X7AOCFqCA&t=51s
        I watched for just over a minute then killed it. Is this some sort of post to get views? Shame on you!

Comment

Those are the dullest looking skates I've ever seen. Get them sharpened already!

Comment

Real cheap skates
            I'm sure glad you used a space in the right spot or we'd all be looking around for the real cheapskates....

What a slick way to do it! But I feel it was good luck more than good planning that kept the axle rods from rolling along the 4x4's. I wonder if some sort of barbs in the middle of the axles could serve to keep the axles from rolling along the wood and at the same time dig into the wood with a small area to allow you to still kick them through an angle for steering.

But that would have needed a welder of course and this was a rapid deployment solution using limited on hand tooling. So we do what we can and if it works we grin a little, nod knowingly to ourselves and any others around and move on with the work.
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
              But I feel it was good luck more than good planning that kept the axle rods from rolling along the 4x4's. I wonder if some sort of barbs in the middle of the axles could serve to keep the axles from rolling along the wood and at the same time dig into the wood with a small area to allow you to still kick them through an angle for steering.
              I originally thought I would screw some wood into the 4x4 to capture the axle. But after I felt how well they rolled, I decided to skip it. I think the point loading of the shaft on the wood resulted in far more friction than the bearings. And also, the difference in ratio of rotation between the shaft and wheel.

I think a hose clamp or some zip ties would greatly deter any rotation.

Comment

Just add small 1/4" "V" notches in the 4x4 in locations where you want the axles to stay put.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                  I watched for just over a minute then killed it. Is this some sort of post to get views? Shame on you!
                  Um. No Ken. I was simply showing the ones I made. I don't make money off my channel.

Comment

Originally posted by ncjeeper View Post
                    Um. No Ken. I was simply showing the ones I made. I don't make money off my channel.
                    There were no skates of any kind in that video and it has nothing to do with this thread.

Comment

Ok I found the problem. The correct link didn't cut and paste correctly. I apologize for that. I put the correct link in my post. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

I made a set of skates to move a 15"x50" Colchester. I used double 6204 (I think) bearings on each axle. Cheapest Asian bearings given that they had to roll just about 40'. 32 x .60 USD= not much. Works very well but it is a dangerous setup because of not much rolling friction. If the floor is slanted and the machine slightly bumped it will move by itself, then You have to contend with the mass X acceleration thing.
                        mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Working...
                        X