Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: Cat stuff. Ranging and locating with head movement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T: Cat stuff. Ranging and locating with head movement.

Ok!! Solly. Way off topic for a machining forum. I like cats.

So all (3) of them seem to zero in a target with vertical movement of their head.

My thought is are they doing that head move (eyes firmly on the target) to determine distance? It seems so from here.

I think cats have a very good sensory for distance. Vectoring two views to give a distance. Impressive.

Ok, sorry. Cat Lady out JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Are they excited about what they are seeing, or are they sizing up a potential threat?

Comment

Ever watch lizards do "pushups"? They are ranging.
      Horses do it with side to side head motion.
      Cows just stand there.

Comment

What about when a cat's jaw goes into a spasm when you wave a stick with a feather around in the air.

EDIT: or they are watching birds. What's really going on here?

Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 12-18-2017, 12:06 AM.

Comment

I like their sound location by swiveling their ears independently.

Comment

My cat is really sweaty but also really sweet. One problem I keep having with him is he doesn't realize how hard his "love bites" are and I haven't figured out how to communicate that to him. Whenever I'm lying in bed watching TV or on the laptop he'll often come up and put his nose on my arm, sometimes lick it a little bit, then very slowly open his mouth and start chewing on my arm with very little pressure but then slowly starts increasing the pressure until I have to interrupt him as it's starting to really hurt. Also, if I stop petting him he will start staring at me and often will re-position himself so he push his head under my hand and if I continue to ignore him then he'll start biting. He's never drawn blood but I'm sure that's only because I stop him from doing so. I wish there was a way to stop him from progressing his bites that always start of softly. I think I read somewhere that often when cats don't experience play biting from other cats they don't realize their play biting hurts.

I think it's the same type of behavior like this cheetah does but more aggressive

Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 12-18-2017, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
              My cat is really sweat. ...
              Turn down the heat, then it won't sweat.

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                Turn down the heat, then it won't sweat.
                The cat is always sweaty and it's only 68 deg.

Comment

My cat is really sweaty but also really sweet. One problem I keep having with him is he doesn't realize how hard his "love bites" are and I haven't figured out how to communicate that to him. Whenever I'm lying in bed watching TV or on the laptop he'll often come up and put his nose on my arm, sometimes lick it a little bit, then very slowly open his mouth and start chewing on my arm with very little pressure but then slowly starts increasing the pressure until I have to interrupt him as it's starting to really hurt. Also, if I stop petting him he will start staring at me and often will re-position himself so he push his head under my hand and if I continue to ignore him then he'll start biting. He's never drawn blood but I'm sure that's only because I stop him from doing so. I wish there was a way to stop him from progressing his bites that always start of softly. I think I read somewhere that often when cats don't experience play biting from other cats they don't realize their play biting hurts.

I think it's the same type of behavior like this cheetah does but more aggressive

This pretty much describes my dog. Except there's more drooling.

Comment

The cat is not getting what he wants.... and he nips to get your attention.

Ours do the same.

If it gets annoying, I give the beast a "soft paw" to the face, just like mom-cat would. They "get it" and stop (for a while).

To have cats, you really need to understand cat customs and language. It's really quite interesting.
                    Last edited by J Tiers; 12-18-2017, 02:25 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

The difference between cats and dogs - if somebody attacked you your dog would fight along side you, a cat would sit back and take bets on who would win!
                      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Dogs have owners...Cats have staff.
                        Joe

Comment

I think I read somewhere that often when cats don't experience play biting from other cats they don't realize their play biting hurts.
                          Yep. I've got a cat that was abandoned as a kitty with her eyes still closed. She had similar biting problems but I fixed that by biting back. I wish I was kidding, but I'm not. It worked, though. We're thick as thieves now.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

To have cats, you really need to understand cat customs and language. It's really quite interesting.
                            Yep. They're tremendously interesting creatures.

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                            The difference between cats and dogs - if somebody attacked you your dog would fight along side you, a cat would sit back and take bets on who would win!
                            Just the way I like it! I don't want a lackey.

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                              Thats deference to you as head hunter though, its respect that they don't want to take your kills. The few occasions I have cornered a mouse with the cats about, they all just step back and let me deal with it, really really stand offish and I know theyre all superb hunters. It really puzzled me at first, but I found if instead of trying to catch it myself, I left the room about 0.5 seconds after I had gone, there was squeals inside as small rodent was being slain by fluffy assassins.

Owls bob their head to rangefind, but thats because their eyes are too large to rotate to percieve depth of vision. I've never noticed our feline assasin squad doing that, but they do make the mental chirp watching birds through the windows from inside.

Comment

Working...
                              X