No announcement yet.

opti visor plus light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using glasses and visors for close-up work for several decades now. I keep several pairs of glasses and several visors in the shop at all times. They do the same thing so if a 2X pair of glasses works for you then a 2X visor will do the same. It is a matter of convenience: the glasses are more comfortable while the visor can be flipped up and down as needed.

For choosing the power, understand that with simple lenses the power determines BOTH the magnification AND the working distance at the same time. So, if you want 10X you are going to be working with your head close to the work. If you back away things become blurry. And if you want to be further back, then you need a lower power.

Some systems use a more complicated optical system and get around this restriction, at least to a certain degree. These tend to be bulkier, heavier, and more expensive. The Optivisor brand is somewhat more expensive ($35 to $45 or so). I have found that there are many less expensive visors available but the quality varies. I would stay away from the $5 ones but there are some in the $15 range that are quite usable: I have one of these and am quite happy with it. I also have one of the Optivisor brand and it is also good.

Most of the less expensive brands have dual lenses; a low power one that is always there and a second, high power one that flips down. This can be a great convenience and I use it all the time. You can also use glasses under the visor and the powers of the two will add together. I do not do this often.

If you are uncertain about the power to buy, you can go to Wal-Mart or a drug store and find the reading glasses display. They will have several powers and you can try them out and see what effect each has on your vision. Remember I said that power and distance go together so check them at the distance(s) that you will be working at. Once you know what power you need, you can purchase the glasses in that power and try them out in the shop. They can be purchased for $5 or less and the quality of the lenses is as good as those in a pair of $300 prescription glasses. I know a lot about optics and I use Wal-Mart readers all the time: I am using a pair of them as I type this. I have multiple pairs of different powers scattered around the house and shop for use wherever I need glasses. My eye doctor knows this and does not raise any objections. Of course, I do not have any special needs in corrective lenses, just the proper power. This way I have just the power that I need for every task and the cost is nominal compared to even a single pair of prescription glassed. And if they break, I just toss them or save them for parts.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

You can also try a good camera and monitor combination. Electronic guys use it all the time.
      Helder Ferreira
      Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Is there an issue with the "impact safety" factor of the generic glasses?

Comment

I have probably 30 pairs of reading glasses all over the house, all over the shops, all over my office, in all of the cars, etc. My most expensive pair was $15 or $20 and I only have a few of those. The rest were packs of 3 or 5 with an average price of around $2 or $3 per pair. I also put Zeiss lens cleaning wipes everywhere because it seems like I clean my glasses 2-3 times a day -- especially since I take them off and put them back on a lot and I guess I'm always touching them. I have no idea how anyone can only have one or two pairs of reading glasses. I find when I put them down and pick them back up, it's always a different pair. I'd be looking for reading glasses all day long if I only had one pair.

Anyway, I'm glad I'll soon have some reading glasses with built in light. Hopefully will save a lot of time looking for those 40 flashlights that are all hidden somewhere.

Comment

I, too, have 2 sets of OptiVisors and 1.5x, 2x, and 2.5x lenses. I have the LED light on one but really don't like the way it works, so I just don't use it. I swap the 1.5 and 2.5 lenses as required; I use the 2x the most. I also have really bright craft room and work shop lighting.
            Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

I have been interested in trying some of these dental/surgical loupes.
              https://www.magnifier.com/dental-loupes.htm
              Anyone have anything like this?
              Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
              Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

I use a magnifying visor almost all the time when working on circuit boards as well as machining. I don't need glasses for anything else, although sometimes I use a a diopter 1.25 or 1.50 (weakest generally available) for reading, especially in low light conditions. I had a cheap visor with two side-mounted lights (old school incandescent lamps with built-in lenses) but it was uncomfortable and mostly fell apart. The one I usually use has a lens stamped "5" and it is so old it is made in USA! The forehead pad for the headband fell apart but I replaced it with a strip of leather I bought from Tandy back in the early 70s when I did some leather work.

More recently I bought a magnifying headset from Banggood that has five optical glass lenses. They seem to no longer have them but I found the same on Amazon for $25:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RFZS94...detail_6?psc=1

This one from Banggood for $15 looks interesting:

https://www.banggood.com/8-Lens-Head...r_warehouse=CN

I have a pair of bifocal safety glasses that I usually use when machining.

https://www.amazon.com/bifocal-safet...fety%20glasses

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Save you money guys..............

This is the future, won't need no optivisor!!! Not far away.

JL......................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                    Some of the Optivisor clones have plastic lenses.
                    At least the original Optivisor made by Donegan is a quality lens.

JL..............
                    Even Donegan made an Optivisor clone. It does say Donegan, it doesn't say Optivisor. It was less money, slightly cheaper hardware, plastic lens with plastic waves. Almost usable when I'm desperate. I do love my other two glass lens ones. It would take a glass lens, but I already have two other visors.

I got the plastic one from one of the surplus electronics places most would recognize. It was quite a few years ago now.

My only issue with the Optivisor is trying to use it with bifocals if the lens is too tall. I can't get the visor in line with my bifocal lens.

Comment

I miss my old eyes, before cataract surgery. 20/1000. Hold something up an inch in front of an eye and it was just as sharply focused as the end of my nose! Number on a #80 drill no problem. Now I have perfect distance vision but need readers, though I opted for progressive lens so I have eye protection and I know where they are.

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                        More recently I bought a magnifying headset from Banggood that has five optical glass lenses. They seem to no longer have them ...
                        Still there: https://www.banggood.com/MG81007-B-1...r_warehouse=CN
                        Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Originally posted by KJ1I View Post
                          Only 4 on those, but dang! I may have to spring for a couple of those. I could even toss the Donegan plastic lens for one from a set of these.

Comment

Before my eyes started getting worse, I invested in good optics and have never regretted spending the money. Meiji binocular microscope, Dazor Circline magnifyers and Optivisors.

I had a Pelican Versabrite light and I used velcro to mount it to an Optivisor.

The light is mounted on the side of the Optivisor and pointed at the focal point. With the light coming from the side, it does cast shadows across the item so details are visible. I tried it on top and did not like the way it illuminated the work. If you try the Visor Light from Donegan, you may want to try mounting in on the side instead of the top middle of the visor.

I can't use the inexpensive cheaters. My eyes need two significantly different prescriptions in my bifocals I asked my optometrist and we figured out the bifocal prescription for the focal length I wanted. I ordered a pair of single vision glasses with the bifocal prescription from Zenni Optical. $14 for cheaters with the focal length I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Beazld View Post
                              I have been interested in trying some of these dental/surgical loupes.
                              https://www.magnifier.com/dental-loupes.htm
                              Anyone have anything like this?
                              You need to spend, at least, three times more to buy something well built. But even then it takes time to get used to them.

I use those built into my prescription glasses at work. It's not something you want to wear for an extended period of time. When my DA3 Optivisor (which I wear almost all the time) is not sufficient magnification wise, but use of a microscope is not yet warranted, I put those telescopes on. They have excellent optical quality, but the field of view is very limited. Their focal depth and distance are better than those for simple lenses of the same magnification, but I'm relieved when the detailed work is done, and I can switch back to my Optivisor.
                              Last edited by MichaelP; 12-20-2017, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KJ1I View Post
                                I tried searching for them and only found items like the one I linked. Their search engine is not too good and I probably did not use the right keywords. I even looked in my purchase history and it seems it doesn't go back that far - it's been a few years. They are pretty good quality for $15. The older ones I use for everyday work came from, I think, Marlin P. Jones, and were about $25. Now they have this for $9:

http://www.mpja.com/3-LEVEL-MAGNIFIE...tinfo/18336+TL

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                                X