opti visor plus light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opti visor plus light?

The time has come that I need more magnification for my eyes when I am doing detailed work. I looked on line and found the Opti visor with a light mounted to it. Do any of you use one or have another idea for my poor tired eyes?

I was going to order the 2.5 magnificaton or should I go stronger?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Hi,

I use this: https://pt.rs-online.com/web/p/lente...abeza/5342400/
    Helder Ferreira
    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

I have three optivisors........DA3, 5 and 10. They all have specific uses depending on what I'm doing....... however everyone's eyes are different.
      The 3's are nice for machine work because of the focal length, you don't have to put your face right into the work. Half an arms length or so.
      The 10's have a focal length of about 3 inches or so, not good for machine work. I think they have a chart that gives you the focal length of each magnification.
      I have the magnifier lens on the 5 and 10. I don't have the light.

JL................

Comment

I have the Magni-Focuser by Edroy Products. Pretty comfortable with good optics, headband ok. You can upgrade your headband by fitting a welding helmet replacement headband, more durable and comfortable. I always found the lights that come on these to be rather cheesy and usually fall apart. If you really want to upgrade, look into dental/medical binoculars, not cheap, but omg awesome.

Comment

The lights I've seen on these have been uninspiring. I use my Black Diamond headlamp when I need additional light. Almost too bright in some cases. Lots of models to choose from and I'm sure you could cobble a mount to an existing visor.

Comment

One of my Optivisors has light. I cannot say I use this pair often because I have a good focused outside light. The attached light is OK, although not as comfortable as more sophisticated ones.

Optivisors I use professionally and at my home shop have x1.75 magnification (14" working distance). They call it DA-3. I find this to be an ideal combination.

DA-5 (x2.5 magnification) has a very limited focal length (8"). I have one (I don't remember offhand if it's x2.0 or x2.5), but almost never use it. They are suitable for those occasion where I'd use a handheld loupe.
            Last edited by MichaelP; 12-19-2017, 12:07 PM.
            Mike
            WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Having the light on the visor was a pain, did not like it, prefer separate light.

As for magnification, many come with a selection, so you choose your weapon.

I finally got tired of having to find the optivisor in the shop, and just got the eye doctor to make the bifocal so I could read the numbers on a 1% 805 SMT part. Because I am nearsighted, I could read them with NO glasses, and did not see why I should see "less well" with them on. He finally understood.

His optometrist, WITH glasses could not even see the part, let alone the numbers.... I was NOT impressed... but the ophthalmologist is the best one in town, so......

EDIT:

The problem with head-mounted lights is that the shadows thrown are away from you, and do not help with 3D items. For leatherwork, aligning punches, etc, that would drive me nuts. I like to have side light, that shows objects in good 3D with shadows and bright areas.
              Last edited by J Tiers; 12-19-2017, 02:52 PM. Reason: add bit about shadows

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

I've always felt that head-mounted lights were kind of a gimmick, but now you've got me wondering because I now NEED to wear 1.5x reading glasses whenever I'm doing anything up close and I'm often wishing I had more light whenever I need to get behind something and see what's going on. A good pair of 1.5x reading glasses with some kind of built in light or head-set might actually be really useful to me now.. I'll have to look around and see what I might be missing out on.

Comment

I need the visor for doing my leather work actually, not machining.
                  This is the type of thing I work on at the moment. It will be a photo/scrapbook for my daughter. The basketweave stamping is the hardest for me. The stamp has to be exactly lined up or one wrong hit and the whole piece is ruined.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                    The time has come that I need more magnification for my eyes when I am doing detailed work. I looked on line and found the Opti visor with a light mounted to it. Do any of you use one or have another idea for my poor tired eyes?

I was going to order the 2.5 magnificaton or should I go stronger?
                    I bought my Optivisor 20 years ago and the quality is first rate. I bought the 3.5x version, but if were to replace it, I would go with a 2.5x or 2.0x for
                    the longer focal length. Here's a chart of magnification version focal length:
                    Code:
                    Item No. 	Focal Length 	Magnification
                    DA-2 	 	     20 	1.5 times
                    DA-3 / LX3 	     14 	1.75 times
                    DA-4 / LX4 	     10 	2 times
                    DA-5 / LX5 	      8 	2.5 times
                    DA-7 / LX7 	      6 	2.75 times
                    DA-10  		      4 	3.5 times

Comment

I just ordered a few of these to try out. I like the idea now that I'm blind as a bat without my reading glasses

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GWM9QN

Comment

Just get a pair of reading glasses on a string around your neck. I'm on 1.5 but will get 2.0 next time.
                        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                        country, in easy stages."
                        ~ James Madison

Comment

I have optivisors, a clone, 2 different desk magnifiers and some other stuff. BUT, 90% of the time I use cheap generic $3 reading glasses. I have them in 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 and maybe some stronger. The advantage is that they are comfortable and I can grab the pair that focuses properly at the distance I am working (like say, under a dashboard), plus they are cheap enough that I can have glasses scattered at every location where I might need them.
                          The 3. glasses combined with the desk magnifier works great for the tiny stuff.

I use a small but bright headlamp quite often, but for what you are doing, I would think task lighting would be the best.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                            I just ordered a few of these to try out. I like the idea now that I'm blind as a bat without my reading glasses

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GWM9QN

Looks like something off of Star Wars...........

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                              I have optivisors, a clone, 2 different desk magnifiers and some other stuff. BUT, 90% of the time I use cheap generic $3 reading glasses. I have them in 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 and maybe some stronger. The advantage is that they are comfortable and I can grab the pair that focuses properly at the distance I am working (like say, under a dashboard), plus they are cheap enough that I can have glasses scattered at every location where I might need them.
                              The 3. glasses combined with the desk magnifier works great for the tiny stuff.

I use a small but bright headlamp quite often, but for what you are doing, I would think task lighting would be the best.
                              Some of the Optivisor clones have plastic lenses.
                              At least the original Optivisor made by Donegan is a quality lens.

JL..............

Comment

Working...
                              X