Kennametal "heavy metal" boring bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kennametal "heavy metal" boring bar

Does anyone know what the difference is between Kennametal's carbide boring bars and their heavy metal ones?

It looks like a lower cost bar that is stiffer than steel but cheaper than solid carbide. I found this press release from 9 years ago..

New Heavy Metal-Boring Bars from Kennametal Engineered for Extended-Length Applications

Press release date: Jun 19, 2008
    LATROBE, PA - Engineered specifically for extended-length boring applications (from 4:1 up to 6:1 diameter-to-length ratio), new heavy-metal boring bars from Kennametal Inc function equally well in finishing and medium-machining ID turning, grooving and threading tasks.

A hybrid of heavy metal construction with brazed steel heads, these boring bars are more rigid for greater extended-length capability compared to steel bars and are less expensive than carbide boring bars. The Kennametal design also supports the insert better than heavy metal alone, reducing failure possibilities while in use.

"The brazed joint is proprietary and provides superior protection for the heavy-metal body, which minimizes breakage issues," says Alexander Momm, Global Product Manager, Turning.

The new bars are available in a variety of sizes, including 8, 10, 12, 16, and 20 mm and 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, ¾, and 1 inch. For more information, visit www.kennametal.com.

Kennametal Inc., Latrobe, PA; (800) 446-7738.
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Thanks, it's a shame they fail to explain what the heavy metal actually is. All interchangeable tip solid carbide boring bars also have brazed on steel ends.

Comment

It's a tungsten-nickel-iron alloy, commonly used where high density is needed. Density around 17 but machinable.
        https://www.mi-techmetals.com/tungst...s/chatter-free
        Last edited by Optics Curmudgeon; 12-19-2017, 02:28 PM. Reason: Added link

Comment

We made bars with a sliding plug inside in work to cut down chatter, works too.
          They were big buggers mind
          Mark

Comment

Some spent uranium would be really good for boring bars.

Comment

The reason why I was interested is that a new Kennametal 12mm heavy metal boring bar is on ebay UK 352233680717 for £ 33.70 including postage.
              I don't need it as I have three 12 mm diameter already, two shop made with different tips and a Walter with a wcgt 04 tip.
              Osmium would be first choice, but the price, modulus of elasticity and tensile strength are factors.
              Last edited by old mart; 12-20-2017, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                Osmium would be first choice, but the price, modulus of elasticity and tensile strength are factors.
                about 100 to 500 times the tungsten price so it is sort of expensive

Comment

There was a pic in a Kennemetal catalog I had.
                  A woman was measuring something on a boring bar that was on a rack like people use for barstock.
                  It was 5 or 6 ft long and I think like 8 or 9 inches diameter..
                  Pretty sure it was heavy metal. .

Comment

I just picked up a a Kennematel boring bar from an action site. I still need to get insets but dam that is a heavy bar. The back end has a threaded hole that allows coolant to flood the cutter.

Comment

Working...
                    X