Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battle Shaper - CLANK evicted - thanks for the help !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle Shaper - CLANK evicted - thanks for the help !!!

Thanks to the suggestions of BCRider, boslab, and J Harp I found the clank, and EVICTED it !!!

The first thing I did was to wipe the ram ways off and then re-oil it with 20 ND oil. Since the temp in the shop was a balmy 45 F this allowed the ram to slide much more easily. It reduced the clank, but didn't end it.

So then I focused on the sliding block. I videotaped it getting as close as I could, and ran it under power and by hand. I did frame by frame analysis to see if I could see it shift suddenly. I couldn't convince myself that I could see it shifting. So, I used the screwdriver trick and listened as best I could to the yoke, the block, and the bull gear. It seemed loudest on the bull gear ... Chasing it backwards I listened to the gears that drive the bull gear (the little ones - 'only' 8 inches in diameter) and it was louder still... So, I video taped all the gears. I found that the clank was associated with a side-to-side movement of the first drive shaft. I had left 1/8" play in the shaft, and for some reason as the ram started to reverse the change in forces caused the shaft to slide suddenly to the other side... *clank*

Well, that was an easy fix. I loosened two set screws, moved the bushing over until it was snug but not tight, and tightened the set screws.

The CLANK is gone. Thank you everybody who helped.

Now I have to have a long talk with my bandsaw. It's feeling depressed because everybody made fun of it's pinkness.

Thanks
    Dan

Well done, nowt worse than an unidentifiable clunk in a machine, spoil the soothing sound of a shaper faster than a rat trapped in your B&O speaker
    Mark
    Btw I suggested painting my excavator pink along with the loader, the Mrs can drive them, I thought a female operator might be the edge needed, the guy who was there at the time painted all his cement trucks pink shortly after, made a fortune idea thieving bstard, teach me to keep my big gob shut, pink is an ok color .(wasn't there a film about a pink submarine with Tony Curtis,
    Mark
    Last edited by boslab; 12-19-2017, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
      Well done, nowt worse than an unidentifiable clunk in a machine, spoil the soothing sound of a shaper faster than a rat trapped in your B&O speaker
      Mark
      Btw I suggested painting my excavator pink along with the loader, the Mrs can drive them, I thought a female operator might be the edge needed, the guy who was there at the time painted all his cement trucks pink shortly after, made a fortune idea thieving bstard, teach me to keep my big gob shut, pink is an ok color .(wasn't there a film about a pink submarine with Tony Curtis,
      Mark
      Pink submarine full of sailors. HA! Full of innuendo?

Well Dan what ever you do don't wipe your bandsaw with a 'shop rag' (old underwear) if that paint comes off you will never hear the end of it. Like getting your white underwear washed with your wife's red ones, don't ask me how I know this is a problem.

Glad to hear you traced the sound, it's amazing how that travels through stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
        ... pink is an ok color .(wasn't there a film about a pink submarine with Tony Curtis, ...
        Yes there was. It was called Operation Petticoat, funny movie.

Comment

On the pink band saw and with fair reference to the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off where Ferris is commenting on Cameron's piece of **** car....

"Don't worry about it, I don't even have a Band Saw. I have to envy yours."

Seriously, when I finally get to acquiring one of the 4 x 6 saws, color will not be considered.

Glad you got the clank fixed and thanks for sharing.

Comment

It's salmon guys. Not pink. Salmon.
            www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

Working...
            X