T8/LED upgrade - woops!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T8/LED upgrade - woops!

I have 8 dual 4' fluorescent fixtures in half of my shop. I tried a pair of LED tubes from Costco. They worked great so I bought seven more. Now six of my eight fixtures light up. The bulbs in the others are good (i.e. they light if I swap them to other fixtures). All eight of my fixtures worked with T8 fluorescent bulbs.

Anyone have an idea why these two fixtures aren't working?

metalmagpie

Some double lamp fixtures are single ballast units. Led tubes are direct drive (at least in Europe). On single ballast systems they just swap the stater with a dummy jumper unit. I usually rewire the fixture and disconnect the ballast but it's nor necessary. In your case, I suspect that you have to rewire otherwise your lamps are connected in series and are receiving half the voltage.
    Helder Ferreira
    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

I have two luminaires out of 20 that didn't work with LED replacement tubes, the tubes work elsewhere so it is my assumption that the luminaires in question do not have "compatible" ballast as described in the instructions and so will need rewiring as described in the instructions.
      If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

All of these fixtures are identical. Same ballast; same wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
          All of these fixtures are identical. Same ballast; same wiring.
          Identical is not the same as equal. The proof is, the don't work right. Try turning the tube around otherwise, rewire without the unneeded equipment and problem solved.
          Helder Ferreira
          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Some ballasts don't work and some are just marginal. I have no issues with dozens of them here yet at my buddy's he only got one to work out of 15! Mine are typical "reputable brand" (Sylvania) 2 tube ballasts; his are typical of what Home Depot and Costco ships in their cheap fixtures. Changing to my ballasts fixed his problem, but if you are going to do that buy the LED tubes that don't need ballasts (same price now).
            Last edited by lakeside53; 12-20-2017, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I've rewired all the lamps I replaced with LED, now I just buy new LED fixtures. Same cost as LED T8 bulbs.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                Some ballasts don't work and some are just marginal. I have no issues with dozens of them here yet at my buddy's he only got one to work out of 15! Mine are typical "reputable brand" (Sylvania) 2 tube ballasts; his are typical of what Home Depot and Costco ships in their cheap fixtures. Changing to my balasts fixed his problem, but if you are going to do that buy the LED tubes that don't need ballasts (same price now).
                Are those the "Lights of America" 2 bulb fixtures that did not work?

What happens as far as the "starter"? With old plug-in starters, one would remove them, but with the "LOA" and other similar types, there is an electronic starter circuit permanently wired in the place that the plug-in starter would have been expected to go.

Tjhose might foul it u, as they are intended to close the circuit and then open it to give a "kick". If the LED uses full voltage, then the starter may continue to try to start the fluorescent tube that is no longer there.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Like mine these are modern electronic ballasted units, just "different" (and not on the LED replacement tube list) ballasts.

Comment

I replaced about 66 four foot fluorescent tubes in my house and shop with LED ones. I used a type that can be used with or WITHOUT the ballasts. I and my electrician just rewired all the fixtures by removing the ballasts and connecting the LED bulbs directly to the 115V line. All of them worked perfectly. This job included many older, four tube fixtures, older two tube fixtures, and some new fixtures of each type. It only took 47 LED bulbs to give me more light than the 66 fluorescents.

I wanted to remove the ballasts because:
                    1) they are no longer needed and can only go bad.
                    2) the same bulbs are more efficient when wired directly in stead of through the ballasts.
                    3) some of the ballasts were close to the end of their life and would have needed to be replaced anyway.

I got my LED bulbs from the internet (Sunco brand). I had no problems with them; each one worked perfectly. They may have cost a bit more than at Costco but I am delighted with them. I figure I will save the full cost of the bulbs in three or four years. It depends on the actual usage. But with 66 bulbs in my house and shop, I am sure the usage was and is a lot.

And now I need sun glasses in my shop:

Paul A.

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Check the tombstones that connect to the ends of the tubes in the fixture.
                      The cheap brass tabs can easily get out of whack and the cheap push in connections for the wires can fail easily, particularly on line voltage rather then the high voltage from a ballast.
                      Good luck!
                      Jon

Comment

Working...
                      X