Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a re-threading die for external 5C collets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a re-threading die for external 5C collets.

Is there such a beast?

1.238" x 20. Sounds like a non standard/oddball thread, does a die exist? I can't find one.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Do you need to clean up existing threads or cut threads that don't exist? You'll probably need a carbide die for a hardened 5C collet if you're going to cut new threads.

Comment

I wish you luck. I have never seen or heard of such a thing, and I doubt there is a market. That does not mean it does not exist. Bear in mind that good collets have hardened threads that would kill a die in short order. If I had to make 5C threads, I would single-point them in a lathe, and would do the same if I had to clean up threads on an existing collet. For cleanup, I would go with a brazed carbide tool that I could resharpen, and take very light cuts. I would make up some soft jaws or a pot chuck to grab the neck of the collet below the splits.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

Comment

https://www.aronson-campbell.com/ind...TOOLS%2CWIDELL

Order 10 and sell them on ebay.

Comment

For just cleanup - thread file. For those that have never tried one... they work amazingly well.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
            thread file.
            Where can I download a thread file?

Comment

+1 on the thread file.....is that all you are trying to do, clean up some dings?

Comment

I use a 1-1/4 - 20 tap & die. A good quality High Speed Steel (HSS) die works. If you get the adjustable split kind, you can squinch it down a few thou. with the die holder screws. I haven't come up with a good way to do the 1.048 - 24 thread for the inside part yet.

Comment

Same here - HSS adjustable die squeezed down and did a nice job .

I got my die from Victor for about fifty bucks: http://www.victornet.com/detail/RD-1-1/4-20-E.html
                  Cheers,

Frank Ford
                  HomeShopTech

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                    +1 on the thread file.....is that all you are trying to do, clean up some dings?
                    +2 thread file. They are useful for so many other jobs. Way cheaper than a die.
                    It's all mind over matter.
                    If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Hi,

Toss messed up collet and buy a new one.
                      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I did this recently and it worked great.

I had a part with messed up threads. I chucked the part in a 3-jaw, threaded end out towards the tailstock. Then I spun the lathe backwards and held a thread file by hand, letting it feed out and off the end, focusing on the screwed-up part. Took me about 2
                        minutes to get a usable thread. I'd worked that part with the thread file by hand before.

I also recommend the NES thread chasing tool made in Israel but sold widely. That tool alone might do the job. I use mine at least
                        twice a year and if I were doing nothing but machining, I'd use it much more often than that.

metalmagpie

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
                          Hi,

Toss messed up collet and buy a new one.
                          A lot of new collets have messed up threads.

Comment

Egg-xactly

It is just to clean up some threads not to cut new ones. Tried the thread file, limited success and was hoping to get a die to take a lick off the threads. A lot of new collets threads are off just a bit. I will try the 1 1/4 x 20 die.
                            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

For touching up a nasty spot and light burr removal I'd say thread file.

For an overall skim to final size along with de-burring I think this would be the time to buy a 20TPI full profile thread cutting insert.

And with only 5 or 6 turns to the thread I'm thinking that this might be the time to set up that crank handle to allow me to "power" the spindle and lead screw for such a cut via a hand crank. It's something I've been meaning to do for quite a while to allow threading up to a close spaced shoulder.

Comment

Working...
                              X