No announcement yet.

The XXX lathe is worthless because....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The XXX lathe is worthless because....

I hope to draw the haters to this thread instead of derailing Epicfails' thread on how he wants to improve his lathe. It's really not fair to him.

So if you hate 7x10 lathes, this is the place to tell us about it. Tell us why it's a piece of crap. It's best if you include specifics and actual measurements, but generalities are OK.

You can also spew hate against other lathes if you want. You know what I mean. The zamac parts on Atlas lathes. The screwy QCGB on the HF 9x20. That kind of thing.

By the same token, rebuttals are encouraged, especially if there are numbers and measurements included.

I'll start. I hate the fact that my 9x20 has a spindle that is threaded in metric. It's one of the few that use that specific size ( m39x4.0 ). To add insult to injury, the lathe does not cut a 4mm thread so I can't make a backplate to fit my lathe. EDIT; In post #55 user John B says it can cut those threads.

Your turn.
    Last edited by danlb; 12-26-2017, 02:06 PM.
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

I hate the fact that my 7x14" is so damn cute. I can't stand it.

I hate the fact that my 7x14" doesn't have a DRO.

I hate the fact that my 7x14" has limitations that my full size lathe doesn't.

ADDED:

I hate the fact that my 10yr old Son can safely use the 7x14" and will soon want to use the big one...... yikes!
    Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 12-25-2017, 12:59 AM.

Comment

I hate the fact that my Chinese lathe can cut a 4mm thread but I have never had a need to do that!

Comment

I hate the fact that no 7x10 lathe has seen fit to be at my shop as I suspect it would be a quite useful size for some jobs I do.

Comment

I hate that nobody will give me one of those worthless lathes for free!

Comment

7x10 is a heck of a lot more than 0. You wanted numbers
            http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

I hate the fact that I don't have a matching mini-mill to put next to the mini-lathe.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                I hate the fact that I don't have a matching mini-mill to put next to the mini-lathe.
                Oh, come on now... I looked at those mini-mills... they really are junk
                http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

The closest thing to a worthless lathe I know if is the 6" Craftsman made by "AA", code numbered "109" (as in 109.20630) and sold by Sears.

Very lightweight. 0.5" spindle, NO DIALS on any feeds. If you put a dial on the crossfeed, it would move 0.0416666" per turn, so your dial was not very helpful.

I had one of them.... did a fair bit of good work on it, and that machine had so many faults that I learned a lot about running a POS and getting the most out of it.

I'm glad I got rid of it (for more than I paid), but I am also glad that I used it, it was a great teaching machine.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by fixerdave View Post
                    I've been thinking about getting a mini-mill for those small jobs that don't need a full size machine for. And it would be a good mill for my 10yr old to play with before I let him loose on the BP. But I'm sure I'd use it a lot too...

Comment

Originally posted by fixerdave View Post
                      I can go one worse. I have the MICRO mill. It's even smaller and less rigid. I updated it to the 20 TPI lead screws and the replacement table that's twice as long.

Added a 1 inch dial indicator as my Z DRO. It makes a right handy 'sensitive drill' as well as a backup for my knee mill when I need to do pieces under 5 x 12 inches.

Still want to make a better dovetail clamp for the head which slides up and down the dovetails on the solid column.
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                        The closest thing to a worthless lathe I know if is the 6" Craftsman made by "AA", code numbered "109" (as in 109.20630) and sold by Sears.

Very lightweight. 0.5" spindle, NO DIALS on any feeds. If you put a dial on the crossfeed, it would move 0.0416666" per turn, so your dial was not very helpful.

I had one of them.... did a fair bit of good work on it, and that machine had so many faults that I learned a lot about running a POS and getting the most out of it.

I'm glad I got rid of it (for more than I paid), but I am also glad that I used it, it was a great teaching machine.
                        Get a metal lathe next time.. Those wood lathes are a real challenge to use in the machine shop

Comment

Get a metal lathe next time.. Those wood lathes are a real challenge to use in the machine shop
                          Naw, it wuz cast iron all right........less'n it was thet ironwood.... the stuff wuz magnetic....

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

I've been thinking about getting a mini-mill for those small jobs that don't need a full size machine for. And it would be a good mill for my 10yr old to play with before I let him loose on the BP. But I'm sure I'd use it a lot too...
                            They do fill the role of second machine fairly well. But don't let yourself be lulled into a sense of security. A 3/4 HP lathe or mill is still enough to cause damage flesh and bones. A spinning 1/2 inch endmill at 2000 RPM will take a healthy bite too. All the safety rules for a big machine come into play with a table top machine too. Even when not spinning, an endmill can slice the back of your hand as you reach past it.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                              They do fill the role of second machine fairly well. But don't let yourself be lulled into a sense of security. A 3/4 HP lathe or mill is still enough to cause damage flesh and bones. A spinning 1/2 inch endmill at 2000 RPM will take a healthy bite too. All the safety rules for a big machine come into play with a table top machine too. Even when not spinning, an endmill can slice the back of your hand as you reach past it.

Dan
                              Agreed.. But it's still many orders of magnitude safer than my 3-axis CNC ProtoTRAK SMX Bridgeport. I even get scared sometimes A fully manual BP is much safer. I think a manual mini-mill is definitely the safest milling machine intro beyond our drill press.

Comment

Working...
                              X