OT: train set for grand kids.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: train set for grand kids.....

My grandson got a Bachmann N gage train set for Xmas, via Amazon. Absolute junk, the engine's motor is dead. List is $220, Amazon is $125.

Any recommendations for something good in the price range? It doesn't have to be N gage.

Look on eBay or Craig's List for older, well-built model trains. You don't have to give new items as gifts, although corporate shills try to shame you if you don't support the end of year shopping frenzy.

Marklin is pretty good:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marklin-HO-...k/332494075933

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARKLIN-HO-...0/132441445441

Also Fleischmann:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-FLE...2/253322436920

Various other brands:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-trains-s...r/222770338857

I have a large amount of HO track that I got for cheap, (as well as other items), so if you need some, contact me.
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Macklin. A bit pricey but they run. Most HO stuff you have to constantly clean dust to keep them running. Old Lionel will run forever.

Comment

My first train set, Fleischmann, brought from Germany by my uncle around 1954:

I still have it. Note the old style couplers:

A somewhat more recent picture of a gear-driven locomotive whose metal frame had deteriorated and cracked:

A similar Athearn engine with rubber band drive. It was a hassle to replace the rubber bands, but I liked how smoothly it ran:

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Build them a 3 1/2", 4 3/4" or 7 1/2" gauge live steamer then you will be the best grandad in the world.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Lego trains!

Maintenance workers on their track speedster!

Morning inspection and lube..

Rare 4-4-4 steam loco.

Marshalling yard...

Comment

N gage is really too small especially for little kids. HO was the better choice. I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that. Anything bigger takes up a lot of real estate.

JL..................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                N gage is really too small especially for little kids. HO was the better choice. I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that. Anything bigger takes up a lot of real estate.

JL..................
                Indeed it does. Our Lego train layout takes up 6x6 metres (double garage size).

Comment

I also had one of those rubber band drive Santa Fe's. And yes, it did run well.

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                  My first train set, Fleischmann, brought from Germany by my uncle around 1954:

I still have it. Note the old style couplers:

A somewhat more recent picture of a gear-driven locomotive whose metal frame had deteriorated and cracked:

A similar Athearn engine with rubber band drive. It was a hassle to replace the rubber bands, but I liked how smoothly it ran:

Paul A.

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Good news is now they're $101 -$3.82 coupon so about $98 at Amazon, Bad news is the ratings suck, one person bought one last year & this one & neither worked. Are these made in the U.S.? Very sad if so.
                    Last edited by flylo; 12-27-2017, 05:52 AM.
                    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                    country, in easy stages."
                    ~ James Madison

Comment

A good choice for trains for children would be most anything by Lionel in O scale, or possibly American Flyer in S scale, the older the better. They are larger and they always run. Some are battery powered with plastic track and have wireless controls. Others have metal track with two or three rail designs.

N scale and even HO are rather small for children and most of the modern brands are notoriously unreliable. It's not much fun for kids when Daddy has to fix the trains all the time. Been there and done that.

I once had a large (14' X 14') HO layout in my barn. I spent more time cleaning track and working on the trains than I ever did running them.

About 20 years ago, I solved that problem by changing over to G Scale with LGB track and a mixture of LGB, Aristocraft and Bachmann rolling stock. With track cleaning cars, the railroad runs anytime we want to run it. Admittedly it's a large scale, but there are ready to roll combination kits that are relatively inexpensive and can be set up and taken down when needed.

Comment

I'm surprised to hear that. Bachmann products are usually good. You're covered for a year under warranty, and models over a year old will be repaired or replaced for a $25 service fee.

Send Bachmann's Customer Service an e-mail, Laura Harris is excellent. [email protected] She'll answer any questions you may have and probably direct you to fill out a return form.

Comment

As you know,the OP was referring to Bachmann's N Scale products. I don't know about the Bachmann N scale items, but their G Scale cars and locomotives work very well.

Their freight cars in G Scale are well detailed and very durable and the locomotives are gnerally very good.

All in all, Bachmann is a good company,

Comment

OT: any of you good people familiar with the old Meccano sets we had in the fifties? Anyway have any of you tried the new Meccano offerings? And how do they come out cost whose? Thanks for any/all help, Wayne.

Comment

Don't know about the '50s stuff, but I was happy playing with a set in the 70s. Have not played with a set recently.

Comment

Working...
                              X