Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some details are here:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/ftdi-ad...silent-update/

It says it programs the USB PID (Product ID) to zero.

More:
    https://arstechnica.com/information-...-a-hard-place/

Bricked USB:
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Hmmm interesting. So, if I'm reading and interpreting that article right it would mean that the initial arduino I got from Elegoo in late November contains a counterfeit chip because it bricked on plug in, whereas the 2 arduino's I just bought from the same manufacture at the end of December contain genuine chips be cause they both work fine. I find that highly unlikely, but then again I know nothing of this stuff and how possible that could actually be. The first one came as part of a kit, but the second 2 were individual, so I guess it's possible they came from different pipes in the supply chain....

Comment

I've brought them all to work with me to give it one last shot at a different computer. Currently installing the IDE. Will update if I get into Arduino masonry.

Edit: It's toast.
        Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 01-04-2018, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Uno is a bit oddball and does not use FTDI chip so you can ignore the warnings about it.

Comment

Also interesting. So something else caused this Arduino to brick itself? Possibly me.

Amazon approved the return, it's going back today.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
              Hmmm interesting. So, if I'm reading and interpreting that article right it would mean that the initial arduino I got from Elegoo in late November contains a counterfeit chip because it bricked on plug in, whereas the 2 arduino's I just bought from the same manufacture at the end of December contain genuine chips be cause they both work fine. I find that highly unlikely, but then again I know nothing of this stuff and how possible that could actually be. The first one came as part of a kit, but the second 2 were individual, so I guess it's possible they came from different pipes in the supply chain....
              No, FTDI withdrew the driver that bricked clone chips due to the bad publicity it gained.

FTDIs attitude was that you should buy direct from them to ensure that you had a genuine chip, but they often simply couldn't supply enough of them.

Manufacturers would approach wholesalers to make up the shortfall and then chip brokers if that failed. Some or all of the chips sourced may have been fakes.

FTDI were upset that they weren't selling chips they couldn't supply and decided to punish the end user, who had bought the product in good faith.

If the new driver (bundled in a Windows update) had simply flagged that the chip was fake, warned that the performance might not be up to FTDI specs and recommended contacting the supplier, then that would just have been annoying. Instead, they just rewrote the USB ID to zero and the user had no idea why their device had died.
              Paul Compton
              www.morini-mania.co.uk
              http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Had some fun today playing around with the kiddo's.

Just getting started doing some of the examples, but having fun and learning. My Son's eyes lit up when he started moving the servo motor by twisting the pot, and immediately looked at me and said "we can make a robot with this thing". That's what it's all about. Building stuff and having fun. Looking forward to getting deeper down this rabbit hole. It's going to open up a lot of fun possibilities.

Now I gotta go sharpen some scissors, so I can cut that mop on the boy....lol

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                X