Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aduino help please.

Dumb Arduino question #1/many.

Got this arduino kit for christmas and I'm having issues getting the computer to even recognize it. When I first plugged it into my Laptop (lenovo p50 w/windows 10) it made the connection beep, but wouldn't show up in device manager. I used the add legacy hardware option to install a driver for it from the cd, but it still wouldn't connect. Uninstalled everything, reset everything, different cable, different computer (acer aspire w/windows 7), but I still get the same thing. The on light comes on, and the "l" light blink rapidly at first, then a slow steady blink.

In my initial googling, I read about the cheap copies using a different usb chip, so I downloaded and installed drivers for that. Still nothing. Then after more googling I realized that wasn't the problem with this Uno. Now I'm at the point where I'm reading about using flip to re flash the firmware. But I don't think I can even do that because it won't even connect..... I'm not getting the connection beep anymore (with either computer). Did I kill it, or do something wrong by installing those ch340 usb drivers?

If it's not apparent by now, I don't have the foggiest clue what I'm doing. I'm at the stage right now where I'm chasing my tail in circles. I'm lost, any idea's? Should I take this as a sign I wasn't meant to learn and play with this stuff lol. Should I hand it too my 5 year old to figure out?

I've got way more time involved in this so far than I'd like to admit.

Have you installed the Arduino IDE on your computer yet? https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
    Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Originally posted by KJ1I View Post
      Have you installed the Arduino IDE on your computer yet? https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
      Yes, first thing I did before I even plugged it in. I've since uninstalled and reinstalled it in an attempt to go back to zero. It's currently uninstalled.

Comment

Try going into Control Panel/Device Manager, then under serial, uninstall all serial/USB drivers you see. Then try reinstalling the IDE and then connect the Arduino.

Comment

It should show up as a serial port on device manager.

If not you have likely some usb related problem: try different computer, unplug all other usb hardware, try with and without usb hub and try usb connectors on different side of laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
            Try going into Control Panel/Device Manager, then under serial, uninstall all serial/USB drivers you see. Then try reinstalling the IDE and then connect the Arduino.

This? for all?

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
              It should show up as a serial port on device manager.

If not you have likely some usb related problem: try different computer, unplug all other usb hardware, try with and without usb hub and try usb connectors on different side of laptop.
              I've tried every usb plug on every computer in the house.

Comment

Like MattiJ said, it will show up as a serial port in device manager. Look under Com Ports and see if there is a strange numbered on like Com 3 or Com 5. If there is, it is connecting just fine. Then under the Tools menu in the IDE, you have to set the board type, processor type, and com port.

Best of luck.
                Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

This? for all?
                  Don't uninstall anything under "Universal Serial Bus"... Look up a few items for "Serial Ports".... Open that item up and remove everything.. Unless you can specifically tell what you're uninstalling under "Universal Serial Bus"..

I can't read that, but if you're selecting "Uninstall Driver" then yes, do that for everything under Serial Port.. You might end up uninstalling something you need for another device, but you'll be avble to re-install it later. For now, uninstall everything under serial and then re-install the software then plug it in and try again.

Comment

Also look on the Arduino IDE, under tools. Be sure to select the board , in your case UNO. Then under port, select which driver to use. On my clones I use, /dev/cu/wchusbserial 1460

Comment

Originally posted by browne92 View Post
                      Like MattiJ said, it will show up as a serial port in device manager. Look under Com Ports and see if there is a strange numbered on like Com 3 or Com 5. If there is, it is connecting just fine. Then under the Tools menu in the IDE, you have to set the board type, processor type, and com port.

Best of luck.
                      it doesn't show up there unless I use the "add legacy hardware" and install the driver manually. "ports" doesn't even show up at all in my device manager until I do that. when I open it up it says this device cannot start.

Comment

Could be it needs to be programed with the Arudino IDE with the proper emulation, port and board before it knows it is suppose to be a serial device.

Comment

Looks like it's finding the arduino. Go into the IDE, set the board, chip, and port, and give it a try.
                          Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

I'm betting your good to go and don't even know it.

When you go to tools (in the IDE) .. are you saying that there are no comm ports listed ?

Select any/every one listed .. and

Just connect everything back up .. IN the IDE load up
                            Files/examples/blink and send it to the arduino.

watch close at the bottom of the screen for the messages it is telling you.

As far as not sure you can do it ... nawww .. you got this. Just study the blink
                            program until you can write it .. start to finish (its not that long). Once you have
                            the basic construct of a sketch (program) down ... setup() loop() etc, your foundation is
                            set. Then just look at the arduino reference and think of it as tools you can use.
                            John Titor, when are you.

Comment

I had no end of trouble with a generic Arduino clone not working on Windows 7. Same issue, different USB chip. It works just fine on an old iBook running Mint-PPC (way out of date) so that's what I've been using to program it.

Do you have another computer to try?

Comment

Working...
                              X