Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Had some fun today playing around with the kiddo's.

Just getting started doing some of the examples, but having fun and learning. My Son's eyes lit up when he started moving the servo motor by twisting the pot, and immediately looked at me and said "we can make a robot with this thing". That's what it's all about. Building stuff and having fun. Looking forward to getting deeper down this rabbit hole. It's going to open up a lot of fun possibilities.

Now I gotta go sharpen some scissors, so I can cut that mop on the boy....lol

Thanks for all the help

Leave a comment:

• EVguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Hmmm interesting. So, if I'm reading and interpreting that article right it would mean that the initial arduino I got from Elegoo in late November contains a counterfeit chip because it bricked on plug in, whereas the 2 arduino's I just bought from the same manufacture at the end of December contain genuine chips be cause they both work fine. I find that highly unlikely, but then again I know nothing of this stuff and how possible that could actually be. The first one came as part of a kit, but the second 2 were individual, so I guess it's possible they came from different pipes in the supply chain....
    No, FTDI withdrew the driver that bricked clone chips due to the bad publicity it gained.

FTDIs attitude was that you should buy direct from them to ensure that you had a genuine chip, but they often simply couldn't supply enough of them.

Manufacturers would approach wholesalers to make up the shortfall and then chip brokers if that failed. Some or all of the chips sourced may have been fakes.

FTDI were upset that they weren't selling chips they couldn't supply and decided to punish the end user, who had bought the product in good faith.

If the new driver (bundled in a Windows update) had simply flagged that the chip was fake, warned that the performance might not be up to FTDI specs and recommended contacting the supplier, then that would just have been annoying. Instead, they just rewrote the USB ID to zero and the user had no idea why their device had died.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Also interesting. So something else caused this Arduino to brick itself? Possibly me.

Amazon approved the return, it's going back today.

Leave a comment:

• MattiJ
    replied
    Uno is a bit oddball and does not use FTDI chip so you can ignore the warnings about it.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    I've brought them all to work with me to give it one last shot at a different computer. Currently installing the IDE. Will update if I get into Arduino masonry.

Edit: It's toast.
    Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 01-04-2018, 11:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Hmmm interesting. So, if I'm reading and interpreting that article right it would mean that the initial arduino I got from Elegoo in late November contains a counterfeit chip because it bricked on plug in, whereas the 2 arduino's I just bought from the same manufacture at the end of December contain genuine chips be cause they both work fine. I find that highly unlikely, but then again I know nothing of this stuff and how possible that could actually be. The first one came as part of a kit, but the second 2 were individual, so I guess it's possible they came from different pipes in the supply chain....

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    Some details are here:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/ftdi-ad...silent-update/

It says it programs the USB PID (Product ID) to zero.

More:
    https://arstechnica.com/information-...-a-hard-place/

Bricked USB:

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    There’s been a rash of FTDI counterfeits our there, and FTDI released a newer driver that apparently bricked them. FTDI are idiots, because rather than risking that, I will just buy their competition, no worries.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Wasn't there some comment a while back on here about the copy units?

I seem to recall that using the wrong S/W would brick them permanently. If so that may have occurred.
    You might be on to something. I do remember it made the "connection" sound initially, but failed to do anything thereafter. I'm wondering if that initial power up fried something, or If I did something different after that, that turned it into a paper weight. I've got an email to the mother ship about a return and am waiting on a reply. Amazon is usually really good about returns, but I hate to send something back if it was my fault if it broke. Especially if I'm doing something wrong that might wreck the other ones.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Wasn't there some comment a while back on here about the copy units?

I seem to recall that using the wrong S/W would brick them permanently. If so that may have occurred.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Glad you are up and running. Yes, troubleshooting these devices can be difficult and substitution is often the best way. I have had to troubleshoot devices that had dozens of boards with hundreds of digital chips on them. Talk about fun. Can you say "Factory Engineer"?

I remember one in particular where they advised me to try different series of logic chips (74xx, 74Lxx, 74Hxx, 74Sxx etc.) to fine tune the timing. Hit and miss style. Duhhhhh?

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    New arduino's arrived today. Plugged them in and both were instantly recognized by windows as a serial device. Updated the drivers, and both new ones working as they should be. Tried original one again, and it's still doing the same thing as it was. Windows doesn't see it at all. I'm going to send it back for an exchange.

I hate trouble shooting computer stuff. Mechanical stuff is no problem for me, hydraulic's I can logically pick my way through, simple electronics I can sometimes fumble my way through but computer stuff always has me pulling my hair out with no idea what I'm doing.

Anyway, thanks all who tried to steer me in the right direction. I appreciate it. Now I can spend some time trying to figure out how to program and use this thing......

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    New arduino's arrived today. Plugged them in and both were instantly recognized by windows as a serial device. Updated the drivers, and both new ones working as they should be. Tried original one again, and it's still doing the same thing as it was. Windows doesn't see it at all. I'm going to send it back for an exchange.

I hate trouble shooting computer stuff. Mechanical stuff is no problem for me, hydraulic's I can logically pick my way through, simple electronics I can sometimes fumble my way through but computer stuff always has me pulling my hair out with no idea what I'm doing.

Anyway, thanks all who tried to steer me in the right direction. I appreciate it. Now I can spend some time trying to figure out how to program and use this thing......

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    As far as I know, theres at least three different usb to serial converter chips floating around on various Arduino boards. You installed the CH340 driver? Cheap clones from Hong Kong usually use that. PSTechPaul is correct.
    I did initially install that driver thinking that was the problem. After looking at it more and comparing my board to others on the net, that wasn't it.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    As far as I know, theres at least three different usb to serial converter chips floating around on various Arduino boards. You installed the CH340 driver? Cheap clones from Hong Kong usually use that. PSTechPaul is correct.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    It's com13 now, but I believe it started off as com4. Every time I uninstall/reinstall it goes up a number. I don't believe "installing" that way by adding legacy hardware is actually doing anything, because I can do that without it even connected. The computer (both) just don't seem to know it's there.

Originally posted by IanPendle View Post
    There was an issue if Windows assigned a COM port with a number higher than 10 to the Arduino. I can't read the assigned number on your screen capture on my laptop.

Ian.
    I just ordered 2 more. A heat treat oven was one of the eventual uses I want one for. After I figure out how to plug it in.....ha ha.

I've got an old XP workstation buried in the rubble in the basement I'm going to try it on, hopefully today.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X