Shop Lights Are Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Lights Are Done

I finished installing and wiring up all of the lights in my shop. In the first two bays with 10' ceilings I installed three rows of five lights. In the 3rd bay with 12.5' ceilings I installed 2 rows of two and one row of three for a total of 22 4' lights. It's now daylight bright in my shop.

These are the lights I installed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DBFG1TO

Aint it great having good light? I love my LEDs.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

How did you wire them up to the 3 phase?
      Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
        Aint it great having good light? I love my LEDs.
        There was one time when I went into my shop and turned the lights on and it felt like when you wake up in the middle of the night and turn the lights on. Took a minute or two before the light was completely welcome I think I was previously somewhere dark for awhile then went into the shop and turned the sun on.

Originally posted by vpt View Post
        How did you wire them up to the 3 phase?
        No 3 Phase Lighbulbs in my shop except me.

Comment

Nice price on those.

Comment

Originally posted by Forestgnome View Post
            Nice price on those.
            It looks like they are $119 for a 4 pack now. I paid $104 for each 4 pack so they were actually cheaper a little while ago. I think I even saw them for $99 for a 4 pack last week.

Comment

The more people that look at them, the higher the price will go. Amazon uses demand pricing like most other sites.

Comment

Here in the North East we have a store called Ocean State Job Lot they have 48" LED light's for $15.00 ea, 4,000 lumen, 5,000 kelvin and 48 watt I replaced an 8' 2 tube florescent with a 48" led it was night and day different plus no hum or flicker at 50° F . I forgot to add the lights can be daisy chained, corded plug on one end and a plug receptacle on the other.
                Last edited by duckman; 12-28-2017, 11:09 PM.

Comment

The feature I really like about the lights I used was the mounting system and you can connect up to 5 of them in a single string. For mounting, you just install cup-hooks into the ceiling and hang the lights from ~6" cables that attached to each end of the light and have a loop on the end that you slip over the hook in the ceiling. When you attach them together, you just have to power one end which makes it really quick+easy to install them. If I had to wire every single one of them up separately then it would have taken 6-7 times longer to install and would have been a real PITA. Also, when you chain them together, they share the same hook so you only install 3 hooks if you're creating a chain of two lights, or 4 hooks if you're chaining 3 lights together. It's a really nice system. I'm going to install them in my wood shop too which currently has florescent lights.

Comment

Looks really great!

Were you kneeling on the floor to get the angle right for the photos or is that a really high ceiling?

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                      Looks really great!

Were you kneeling on the floor to get the angle right for the photos or is that a really high ceiling?
                      There are two sections of lights. One section has 10' ceilings and the other section has a 12.5' ceiling which is where I built the mezzanine. I'm only 5'9" so it's a really high ceiling for me

Comment

Here are some better pictures including one panoramic which shows all 22 lights.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                          There are two sections of lights. One section has 10' ceilings and the other section has a 12.5' ceiling which is where I built the mezzanine. I'm only 5'9" so it's a really high ceiling for me
                          To me that just screams for high shelves around the walls that are about 18" wide to store all manner of things up out of the way. Nothing majorly heavy like engine blocks or anything. But that still leaves you lots of room for options.

I'd forgotten that you were the one with the very slick mezzanine too. So you're already half way there. After all what's a mezzanine other than a really big shelf? ! ? !

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                            To me that just screams for high shelves around the walls that are about 18" wide to store all manner of things up out of the way. Nothing majorly heavy like engine blocks or anything. But that still leaves you lots of room for options.

I'd forgotten that you were the one with the very slick mezzanine too. So you're already half way there. After all what's a mezzanine other than a really big shelf? ! ? !
                            What I REALLY need to do is go through all my shelves and get rid of everything that I don't need. That should free up 1/3 of my shelving space. There is also a lot of stuff that belongs in my wood shop but haven't moved it down there yet.

Comment

Being old, broke, and cheap by nature, I made my own LED lights. As I don't have any "real ones" to compare with I can't tell you how they compare, but I can tell you that they are sooooo much better than fluorescents it's amazing.

I go to eBay and search for "LED strip". Every day the Chinese put up hundreds of listings for SMD2835 or SMD5050 strips, all for 1 cent starting bid and free shipping. All sorts of colors, lengths, etc. I just search for the cool white, 12 V, etc., and bid 26 cents. I don't get most of them. Every now and then I get one and it's "WOW"...

When they arrive I save them up until I have 4, then I stick them to a 1.5" PVC pipe (most are self adhesive), wire them up to a large 12 V wall transformer that has sufficient current, and I got a new light for my shop. I've been running my oldest one for over a year and it still works.

Where do I get the high power wall transformers? Those are also available on eBay, but at about $3 buy it now...

It's not pretty, but considering that I'm paying about $4- 5 for the electronics and $5 for the PVC pipe, I'm okay with "not pretty" However, now that I have a half dozen unused fluorescent reflector hoods, I figure I can save half the cost by sticking the led strips onto the metal reflector hoods of the old fluorescents without the glass tubes.

Comment

Working...
                              X