Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clamps that never should have been invented!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clamps that never should have been invented!

The clamps in the picture are the worst ever. The bigger they are the harder they are to keep straight while you squeeze them. I would like to put one on the nut sack of the inventor and give him a pair of pliers to remove it himself. Can you tell I have had a recent encounter with one of these?
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Yes, they really suck. Did the water pump on my truck, and GM decided to use them for every water hose on the truck.

Comment

What pliers did you use? One of this style should make it easy-peasy. I've used regular pliers on the smaller ones with no problem so it must be the way you're holding your tongue.

Comment

Nothing wrong with them if you have the right tool.
        Nev.

Comment

Just bought big assortment box of them. They work better than other clamps for small hoses.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
            The clamps in the picture are the worst ever.
            -I bet you're the type of guy that keeps tightening worm-drive clamps until the rubber from the hose extrudes out of the slots in the band like Play-Doh.

Doc.
            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
              -I bet you're the type of guy that keeps tightening worm-drive clamps until the rubber from the hose extrudes out of the slots in the band like Play-Doh.

Doc.
              Nah, I am the type of guy that needs to buy five of these clamps in order to get one to finally make it onto the hose end. The other four have escaped my pliers and are now somewhere in orbit around Earth.
              How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I just use my Snap-On Lineman Pliers on those, never had a problem ;-)
                If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

I use oetiker clamps myself, found them neat, they don't shake loose or gash the back of your hands
                  They have a lug or lugs you bite with a flush end cutter type of plier.
                  You do have to cut them off though.
                  Mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                    I use oetiker clamps myself, found them neat, they don't shake loose or gash the back of your hands
                    They have a lug or lugs you bite with a flush end cutter type of plier.
                    You do have to cut them off though.
                    Mark
                    I have a whole kit of those type clamps. I use them on air hoses and such or on my O/A hoses. The pliers are good because they also have the side cutter and crimper.

Comment

I like those clamps as well. Quick and easy and keep a constant pressure.

Rusty crusty worm screw clamps are what I don't like. Always pointing in a direction you can't get a screw driver or nut driver on them. Bunches up the hose under the worm drive and leaves a "soft spot" that leaks. The crimped metal always lets loose just as you are getting close to tight. And constantly spin around when you are trying to put some pressure on the screw while turning.
                      Andy

Comment

use a vise grip instead of regular pliers to install these and your troubles will be less.

Comment

"ALL YOU NEED IS THE RIGHT TOOL"The problem is ,the right tool wont fit in the confined area.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post

Doc.
                            Old Sarge used to tell me that when you take the hose off, if you haven't necked down the metal tube by at least .010" you ain't nearly tight enough.

Comment

Needle nose vise grips will hold these clamps open and in any position to reach where you need to. Just saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X