Stuff for Atlas 618?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff for Atlas 618?

The 3-jaw chuck in my little lathe isn't the best thing anymore, and the 4-jaw isn't much better. Is there another manufacturer that makes chucks with the same thread that the headstock on the Atlas has? Also this lathe came with a few of the change gears for cutting various threads and I'm still missing some. I guess the same question applies here as well. I noticed that the Microlux (?) 7" lathe has change gears and in the catalog I have it appears they have a 1/2" bore but I have no info to back that up.

Check Ebay. Stuff is available all the time.

Here's a gear set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162811806540

Comment

I have a 618 and love it to bits. Wouldn't mind it being a bit bigger but you can still do a lot on it.

If it's a proper 618 (Timken bearings) you need a 1x10tpi backplate. If it's a Craftsman 7301 (sleeve bearings) you need a 1x8tpi backplate. I would suggest looking for any 4" 4 or 3 jaw, then buy or make your own backplate. I got a nice Bison 3 jaw with mine but I got a tatty looking 4" 4 jaw Buck for $70 which is the chuck I use the most. Once you get set up with gears you can even make an ER25 or 32 collet chuck, which is also really handy.

To be honest, with the going price of Atlas change gears on eBay, you're probably better off buying a 3D printer and making your own for similar money

Comment

To help you expand your search, the gears you seek also are used on the craftsman 109 series lathes and are often available individually under that listing on ebay.

Comment

If that's true I learned something as the 109 was made by Dunflop & not Atlas & I never knew the gears interchange. I have a 6" Atlas/Crapsman with Timkin bearings with all the accessories & have really enjoyed it.
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

MyMachineShop.net is an advertiser in the magazines and a source for Atlas as well as some Logan and South bend parts. Their prices are not terribly out of line, and they seem to have a good supply of parts.

http://www.mymachineshop.net/
            Jim H.

Comment

He's not far too from me & does alot on Ebay & has been to my shop. Seems to do a good job but if you need parts check Clausing/Atlas in Kalamazoo first as many sellers buy the parts & doubles the price as people don't know Atlas is still in business & would/will e-mail manuals no charge.
              Address: 3963 Emerald Dr, Kalamazoo, MI 49001
              Hours: Open today ยท 8AM–4:30PM
              Phone: (269) 345-7155
              ~ James Madison

Comment

I second flylo's suggestion to contact Clausing.

When I approached them with an inquiry about certain spares I wanted for my Atlas 7B shaper, they sold me what they still offered and gave me shop drawings for the items that were no longer available.

Her name escapes me at the moment, but the woman I dealt with was the same person others had mentioned dealing with several years earlier.

Customer service well beyond that you are likely to experience very often elsewhere.

Edit: Jolene Olds. She was Customer Service Manager for Clausing in 2012

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-Atlas-Machine
                Last edited by EddyCurr; 12-29-2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                  I have a 618 and love it to bits. Wouldn't mind it being a bit bigger but you can still do a lot on it.

If it's a proper 618 (Timken bearings) you need a 1x10tpi backplate. If it's a Craftsman 7301 (sleeve bearings) you need a 1x8tpi backplate. I would suggest looking for any 4" 4 or 3 jaw, then buy or make your own backplate. I got a nice Bison 3 jaw with mine but I got a tatty looking 4" 4 jaw Buck for $70 which is the chuck I use the most. Once you get set up with gears you can even make an ER25 or 32 collet chuck, which is also really handy.

To be honest, with the going price of Atlas change gears on eBay, you're probably better off buying a 3D printer and making your own for similar money
                  Two questions, what is a backplate and why do I need one?
                  I've seen the prices of the change gears on fleabay and that's why I was wondering what other manufacturers have 1/2" bore gears I could use instead. Like, why buy 50 y.o. gears?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                    Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                    If it's a proper 618 (Timken bearings) you need a 1x10tpi backplate. If it's a Craftsman 7301 (sleeve bearings) you need a 1x8tpi backplate. I would suggest looking for any 4" 4 or 3 jaw, then buy or make your own backplate.
                    ..., what is a backplate and why do I need one?
                    A backplate can be thought of as an adapter; it is used for the purpose of mounting a generic/universal chuck to the spindle of a specific lathe.

For example. mattthemuppet points out above that an Atlas 618 fitted w/ Timken bearings has a spindle with a 1x10 TPI thread for mounting a chuck. An economy version of this lathe sold under the Craftsman brand and fitted with sleeve bearings has a spindle w/ a 1x8 TPI thread. A South Bend 9" lathe spindle has a 1-1/2x8 TPI thread. A Myford 7 has a 1-1/8x12 TPI Whitworth thread. Provided that it is suitable in other regards, a given chuck designed to mount to a backplate can be fitted to a wide variety of lathes by pairing the chuck with an appropriate backplate.

Note. Not all chucks utilize a backplate, some are machined to mount directly to a particular spindle.
                    Last edited by EddyCurr; 12-30-2017, 02:31 PM.

Comment

As eddy wrote some chucks have the mounting threads built into the Chuck body (the original equipment chucks for this lathe) but newer chucks need an adapter bolted on to mount the chuck. Using an adapter (backplate) opens up your options as OE chucks are going to be pretty old by now and the command a premium on eBay.

Comment

Oh, okay. I get it. This is an actual Atlas. If I had the proper change gears I could make my own adapter. Kind of a cart/horse situation.

Comment

Also this lathe came with a few of the change gears for cutting various threads and I'm still missing some.
                          This is an actual Atlas. If I had the proper change gears I could make my own adapter.
                          What gears do you have in hand?

Per mattthemuppet, the Atlas 618 has a 1x10 TPI spindle thread. Per the Atlas 618 manual, 10 TPI calls for
                          • Screw: 40F
                          • Position C (B/F): 32 64
                          • Position A (B/F): 64I XXS
                          • Spindle Stud: 32

Alternatively, backplates for an Atlas are not prohibitively expensive. Buy one with the appropriate spindle thread, machine to fit the chuck of your choice and proceed.

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
                            Alternatively, backplates for an Atlas are not prohibitively expensive. Buy one with the appropriate spindle thread, machine to fit the chuck of your choice and proceed.
                            I have not dealt w/ Little Machine Shop, but I remember satisfactory comments from those who have.

LMS has a variety of other choices - be sure to see what suits your needs best there or elsewhere.

Comment

If you ever need a motor a ConSew commercial 3/4 hp variable speed with on/off switch, reverse & brake works well for about $100 on Ebay. They are a DC motor with good low end torque but plug right into a 120v ac outlet. Like this Ebay item number:112418407289 Install it on the rear pulley & use the change belts for speed ranges along with the variable speed. Put a tach on the spindle & you have a nice set up. Google Paul Kuhni guns & you'll see some of the wonderful miniature firearms made by Paul on a 618 Atlas with tooling he made, a grinder & hand drill in a tiny shop dug out under his home. His 1st gun he sold to the owner of Sutherland Lumber, a SYP producer for enough to buy a
                              new BMW. People will tell you they're junk but try buying parts for a 75 year old chinese lathe & Paul prove it was way more skill than machine. Many people started on this very brannd & model lathe, Enjoy it!
                              ~ James Madison

Comment

Working...
                              X