OT: New Years day polar bear swim...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: New Years day polar bear swim...

For the flat-landers a polar bear swim is when you put your swimming suit on and join a bunch of other crazies to jump into the cold ocean or river or lake.

What I'm wondering is would it be better to wear one of those swimming shirts or go bare on top? You don't have to do anything other than wade into the water to get wet up to your neck. Then out to a beach fire and wrap in a towel where everyone burns their Christmas trees.

Not having done this for many, many years I don't recall if the worst part is going into the water or trying to dry, warm up after.

BTW: tomorrow is predicted part sunny, 40F.

Originally posted by DR View Post

Not having done this for many, many years I don't recall if the worst part is going into the water or trying to dry, warm up after.
    Yes to both.

But the real polar besr swim is in a lake in MN on the first.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

You want as little on as possible. If you're intentionally doing it, and have a way to quickly get dry and warm up.

If your on a back lake somewhere and go through the ice unintentionally you want to be wearing natural wool as it retains it insulating properties even when wet.

Having done the latter, I think you're nuts for wanting to do the former. Although If I had a hot tub near by I think I'd give it a try again.

Comment

What's the big deal with polar bear swims?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x768VAsOQSw

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
          BTW: tomorrow is predicted part sunny, 40F.
          I thought you said polar bear swim??
          We'll be in single digits again tomorrow.

Comment

I am not jumping in the water but I will break out the Harley and go for a ride. Been doing this for the last 10 years. The coldest was a high of 21 for the day. All I have to say is "Grab some kind of dead animal skin and lets go for a ride".

Happy New Year

Comment

Oh, they keep startup company pitching talks out of ice hole in here:
              https://youtu.be/LBrb-ZDbOQo?t=76

Good way to keep the talks short and to the point!

Comment

im medical terms look at it as a pressure test for your entire blood system,

first off - you know what your going to do before you do it so your heart is already rapping out at about 120 beats per minute then you jump into freezing cold water which INSTANTLY restricts all your blood vessels and capillaries all while the "oil pump" is "churning the butter" at an even higher rate due to the shock, then there's the fact that god himself forgot to install a pressure relief valve (rookie mistake) bottom line is - if you don't blow a head gasket during this "exercise" you probably never will doing anything else, it is a good test - but one that can kill you in an instant if you fail it...

Comment

Love that Boomer. :-)
                  <there's the fact that god himself forgot to install a pressure relief valve (rookie mistake)>
                  ...lew...

Comment

Wisconsin does this too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkoanmukXvM
                    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                      Love that Boomer. :-)
                      <there's the fact that god himself forgot to install a pressure relief valve (rookie mistake)>
                      ...lew...
                      If you don't hear back from me it's safe to assume Im the first man to die by getting hit by a lightening bolt on a 15 degree winters day ...

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                        must be kevlar padded bra's ?

Comment

Working...
                        X