Any tips for boring Magnesium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips for boring Magnesium

Would prefer my lathe not to melt down in a bright flash ...

Need to bore out a magnesium spindle - what kind of tool grind to use - what kind of speeds not to exceed ...

tell it about your health problems

you knew that was coming. best to get it out of the way early

Comment

Treat it like aluminum. It's probably alloyed with aluminum. It's soft like aluminum but a little on the brittle side. HSS cuts it without a problem. It won't ignite easily unless it's in powdered form so don't grind it! You would need a torch to ignite large pieces. Where oxidized aluminum has a white look, magnesium turns a dark grey with greyish powder. It will oxidize pretty quick so it's needs treated or coated. Polishing won't help. The stuff I machined started turning grey within a week.

Comment

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post

Was this meant for a different thread?

Comment

Sharp HSS tools work well
          Just don't let a pile of chips/swarf build up if you are worried about machining it.
          Maybe collect them in an aluminum pan ( cool) and dump the pan after every pass.
          If you are still concerned, keep a coffee can full of sand nearby ( to smother any smoking chips) NO WATER !

Rich
          Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
            Was this meant for a different thread?
            He was describing how to bore magnesium. Other time honored techniques to bore someone include showing your baby pictures.
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I don't think you could generate enough heat to ignite it by boring and it's probably not pure magnesium.

JL...............
              Last edited by JoeLee; 01-06-2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Are you talking real magnesium or AL-Mag-alloy? AL-Mag alloys are easy, not really "dangerous", and machine like very nice (non gummy) aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post

Seems every ~6 months my left thumb develops trigger finger/thumb and get's very sore.. I can always use it, but sometimes if I push it the wrong way I'll get some really sharp pain. After getting a cortisone shot at the base of my thumb it's good as new ~2 weeks later and stays good for another ~4-6 months. Exciting stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                    Sharp HSS tools work well
                    Just don't let a pile of chips/swarf build up if you are worried about machining it.
                    Maybe collect them in an aluminum pan ( cool) and dump the pan after every pass.
                    If you are still concerned, keep a coffee can full of sand nearby ( to smother any smoking chips) NO WATER !

Rich
                    Just remember to shut the lathe off before you dump that can of sand on the flaming stock in the chuck.

Comment

Joe, I have turned lots of this and pretty much everything has been said, treat as aluminium best finish with a rad on the tool, use suds when turning -- the fire danger is mainly caused by very fine shavings and dust but once ignited the swarf will burn vigorously -- the suds keeps helps this in check.

A bucket of dry sand and a small shovel accompanied the work around the machine shop, however today, and I say this without and first hand experience, a CO2 extinguisher may be a better and cleaner option ? Opinions please ? I have one of these in my shop all the time and have done for many years, handy when welding incase of sparks going where they are not wanted !!
                      John
                      Knowledge withheld is knowledge lost

Comment

Magnesium has an extremely high affinity for Oxygen, especially when it's hot, which is why water doesn't work on a Magnesium fire. The Magnesium reduces H2O to Hydrogen and Magnesium oxide.

It burns more vigorously in CO2 too, for the same reason.
                        Paul Compton
                        www.morini-mania.co.uk
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Sorry for being such a dummy, but are you saying that H20 or CO2 actually become a source of additional Oxygen if used on a Magnesium fire?

Comment

Neither water nor CO2 is suitable for extinguishing burning magnesium. Most common Class D (burning metal) extinguishers use some kind of dry powder:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_e...or_metal_fires

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oQ_9nFe9HU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAhsvOP5yaM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J60J-g4ifXg

Comment

Working...
                              X