OT Rattlesnake ridge cracking up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Rattlesnake ridge cracking up

I have just watched some drone footage of some large cracks forming as part of Rattlesnake Ridge near North Bend, Washington starts to fall into the valley where the I90 runs.
    I wouldn't want to be on that road when millions of tons start moving in earnest.

I had not heard of this till I read your post.
    Is this the drone video you spoke of? Looks damn scary. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that one!!!

https://201tube.com/video/7DATFoizswY

Edited to add an illustration of the slide area.

Last edited by Willy; 01-08-2018, 10:34 AM.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I'm not sure if it is the same footage, the one you found looks better, and the scale of the slip shows up well as there are vehicle tracks across the fault.

Comment

If it goes, the effects on the river will be the biggest issue...

Comment

Not North Bend WA. Closer to Yakima WA

Comment

Appreciate the "heads-up". My wife and I go through there a couple of times a year...visiting a daughter in Seattle. The daughter and family do the same. Hope the hiway dept. is staying alert.
            Jim

Comment

Even if it goes slowly the slump is going to cover both roads..... wow.... I've ridden my motorbikes and driven my truck through there a few times over the years.

I would imagine that they are working at re-directing the highway. Because slow or fast the new slump angle is almost sure to bury both roads even if it slides down slow and doesn't reach the river. If it goes all at once then it'll be a real mess.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Looking at the top of the slope you can see what is causing the area to be evacuated.
                This is a perfect example of a slump fault. The shear displacement along the face of the main crack, with smaller cracks displacing at about 30 degrees from the main crack where the vertical displacement is greatest indicate the primary direction of the rock mass will be perpendicular to the smaller cracks.
                The telling feature, which is not observed in the video, will be vertical uplift at the base of the slump fault. I'd look for changes in the topography near the right bank of the river, because ultimately the water drainage through the fault ends up in the river.

Comment

of course the quarry has nothing to do with it starting

Comment

After the slide a Oso WA I'm sure they will watch this very carefully.
                    https://www.google.com/search?source....0.Awv2xzMG1jg

They have had a lot of earth quakes in WA over the last month or two. Sure that would help loosen it up a bit as well.

https://earthquaketrack.com/v/pnw/recent

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                      of course the quarry has nothing to do with it starting
                      Yeah. Experts paid by quarry say it's no big deal. Other experts disagree. Anyone who spent an hour in a sandbox as a kid knows if you remove the toe of a mound of loose material, things start moving.

Same thing happened in Jackson WY.. Walgreens built a multi million dollar showboat store and excavated into a toe of a butte to do it. The proverbial 'chit show' ensued. Houses lost, store abandoned, entire store contents taken to landfill.
                      http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/t...77b714a7a.html

Comment

I looked in the wrong place, the footage that I first saw referred to Rattlesnake ridge, North Bend, and I found a Rattlesnake Mountain just west of the town. That's why I mentioned I90 in my original post.
                        Things could get dodgy when the next heavy rains begin later in the year.
                        Last edited by old mart; 01-08-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Wow! Looks like the "Crack of Doom"!

A few containers of JB Weld should fix those cracks.
                          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I'm thinking the ridge is cracking down.

Comment

The earth is constantly changing either by nature or man.

I would imagine the liberals will have a field day with this.

JL................

Comment

Working...
                              X