Rapid return lathe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapid return lathe?

I think that's the correct description.So how does a typical rapid return lathe work and is the speed adjustable?I tried searching and got the ole marketing BS.Figured ya'll would have light years more insight.

I have no insight, but I looked it up and found mostly CNC solutions. Then I stumbled on the 1918 book on google that shows how it was done before CNC. On page 39, figure 12 look for the part labeled "A".

Yes, they literally have a weight attached to the saddle and dangling off the end of the bed. In operation, the saddle moves to the left when halfnuts are closed on the lead screw. When the half nuts are released the weight drags the whole saddle to the right until it hits a stop of some sort.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Found it on some Lodge & Shipley lathes.It's a clutched,electric motor drive,hung off the tail stock end.

Comment

Originally posted by BWS View Post
        Found it on some Lodge & Shipley lathes.It's a clutched,electric motor drive,hung off the tail stock end.
        Here is a pic of what you described. I did a brief search and couldn't find a good pic of the lead screw on the back of the lathe.

Comment

My Lathe has Rapid Travel on the apron,when doing long cuts on a shaft or tube towards tail stock just push the button to return back towards Chuck for another cut.I believe there is a Sprague Clutch in there as well.

Comment

Working...
          X