Milling Machine Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post
    I'd say that diagram is, at best, ambiguous. If the arrows indicate the rotation and direction of the cutter, then the diagram is wrong. Also, the usual terminology is "climb" and "conventional" milling.
    Doubtful; however, this might help

https://www.cnccookbook.com/climb-mi...ional-milling/

Comment

I assumed that the part was moving when I looked at the diagram. After all for manual machines that's by far the common method. But I guess in this age of CNC where often the cutter head moves around a stationary part it's more important to specify.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
        Someone not familiar with climb and conventional milling could easily come to that conclusion since the cutter and arrows are all the same color.
        Yep.

Here's a better diagram -- simple, unambiguous, and conveys more information:

Comment

You will need to use a corner radiused end mill. Instead of having a sharp 90 degree corner there is a slight radius.
          This radiused corner will help alleviate the 'circles' you are seeing in the finished cut.
          These are not cause by swarf on the top of the part. I may cause a little.
          The radiused end mill comes at a higher price.
          If you have a grinding shop nearby you can have a few made with a 0.030 to 0.125 radius depending upon the size of the end mill.
          One of the only ways to help bypass that finish is with a fly cutter or surface mill that is wider than the piece you are cutting.
          Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
          X