Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK... it's pretty, but $7k?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/t...460042649.html

Just off the cuff I'd say that's about right. Brand new with everything? And a machine that's no longer made?

Pete
    1973 SB 10K .
    BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Maybe for a collector, but it's still a 7x19 belt driven lathe. IMHO for real use there is way better value in multitudes of other used excellent condition lathes, or even new south bend griz lathes, or...

Heck, it was introduced the year I was born, and I'm 64 ok.. there were a few updates.. but like me it's still a old design.
      Last edited by lakeside53; 01-15-2018, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Oh, no question that there are many other machines that are more for the buck. You're right in that a collection minded person would be the buyer.

Sure is pretty...

Pete
        1973 SB 10K .
        BenchMaster mill.

Comment

You said it yourself, better value for used.. you are not the right guy.
          I saw a well tooled almost new Unimat with more accessories in the mid ninetys in Calgary, they were asking 10 K for it.
          7 years earlier I bought a new offshore 16x67 lathe for around 12,500.. so yeh. It a good chunk if money..
          but it not how much it cost... it how easy you can get the money.. usually
          Someone may like it, they won't find better.

Comment

1st cut & it's no longer new & you'd be lucky to get 1/2 back for it as it's still a 7" lathe. As the song gays, "First cut's the deepest"
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

Someone should post a couple pictures so this thread has some meaning after the ad dies. Too bad posting pics
              on this site is such a pain in the *ss...
              Keith

Comment

Nice that it has the hardened ways but the standard Super 7 has a pitiful through capacity, for the money I'd be shopping for an Emco v10p or a Harrison M300.
                If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

I love it, You guys drooling over a a $7000 small flat way lathe The below is from Lathes UK

The foundation of this success - and the rise of Myford to pre-eminence amongst the then many competing makers of small lathes - was a range of just four machines: the very similar ML1, ML2, ML3 and ML4. Neat, compact and of appealing appearance all were designed and priced to appeal to the amateur market. However, despite their success, not even the most enthusiastic of owners could boast of them as state-of-the-art products and, by the close of the decade, the new-for-1937 American Atlas 6-inch (with its all-V-belt drive countershaft, roller-bearing headstock, fully-guarded changewheels and a host of user-friendly details) was setting the benchmark for hobby-lathe design. In response, and designed during the closing years of WW2 (1939-1945) by Ted Barrs**, Myford launched what was to become the most popular and sought after small lathe in the UK, the ML7.
                    Undoubtedly drawing some design influence from American Atlas
                    ~ James Madison

Comment

I'd say its worth it all day long, super 7, gearbox, brand new with a great selection of accessories. They are a beautifully made lathe, I think he could ask more for it

Comment

Now it it were the Big Bore than maybe.http://www.lathes.co.uk/Myfordsuper7bigbore/
                        Where's the switch on the one for sale, did I miss it?
                        ~ James Madison

Comment

They seem to be going for around that figure in the UK, in that kind of condition.
                          http://www.myford-lathes.com/used.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 10KPete View Post
                            Just off the cuff I'd say that's about right. Brand new with everything? And a machine that's no longer made?

Pete
                            Not only that, compare it to something comparable today that's made off shore !!

JL.............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                              Not only that, compare it to something comparable today that's made off shore !!

JL.............
                              The 7k lathe isn't a kit of parts either, like many import lathes in the 7 and 9" swing size.

Comment

Working...
                              X