Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boring Head with horizontal square hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring Head with horizontal square hole?

I just picked up a used boring head that looks similar to the 2,3,4" style import ones for sale all over.This one has a 3/4" square hole for horizontal position and two 3/4" round holes for vertical.It is 3-3/4" dia with NMTB 40 shank ,with 5/8" set screws for securing the bars,built very sturdy.Why the square hole?

My understanding is that it's for a bit that sticks out to the side, allowing you to enlarge a hole that is larger than the swing of the boring head.
    Last edited by danlb; 01-20-2018, 02:39 AM.
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Right. Its for boring sideways. JR

It sounds like it is a very large boring head. Cat4 prolly in 5 also. I think it might be for side boring. Single point? rough. Through hole? (two points) nice
      Last edited by JRouche; 01-20-2018, 02:14 AM.
      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Sounds like something cooked up by a "Crazy Albertan".

On a more serious note, I suspect the square hole is for a piece of square HSS stock.

Happy New Year Dale...
        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post

On a more serious note, I suspect the square hole is for a piece of square HSS stock.

Happy New Year Dale...
          I agree, it's for square HSS stock or a 3/4" square toolbar for carbide insets would also fit nicely.

Comment

We had one in work that had a square bar with a vertical cutter hole to fly cut with, it wasn't a cheap head think it was a German beasty.
            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post

Happy New Year Dale...
              Happy New Year as well Keith,I know the horizontal portion is for larger boring was puzzled that it was square and vertical were round.I would have been crazy for sure if I came home with a Radial Drill that they gave away at Auction.There was a massive Archdale Radial Drill in Pristine condition,I would have rated it at a 9.9 out of 10 original paint.It could have passed for new if price tag was hanging on it,sold for $1000.I'm guessing it weighed 15000-20000 lbs.
              Originally posted by boslab View Post
              We had one in work that had a square bar with a vertical cutter hole to fly cut with, it wasn't a cheap head think it was a German beasty.
              Mark
              This head has no name it maybe a knock off of some Famous Brand,Dove Tail is 1-1/8" deep and all functions are done with 5/16" hex key.

Sorry no pics with PB Gongshow,will have to master some other image hosting site,not my strong point!

Comment

You guys seem to be missing an important use of the crosshole.
                COUNTERWEIGHTING for when the lower toolblock is way off center. .
                Counter weights allow you to keep the speed up and likely improve finish.

That said, not sure why some use the square hole, but I suspect if you buy their full kit there is a square bar with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                  You guys seem to be missing an important use of the crosshole.
                  COUNTERWEIGHTING for when the lower toolblock is way off center. .
                  Counter weights allow you to keep the speed up and likely improve finish.

That said, not sure why some use the square hole, but I suspect if you buy their full kit there is a square bar with it.
                  Good point 754 I will keep that in mind when I get to use it.Hope to dismantle and clean today.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                    Good point 754 I will keep that in mind when I get to use it.Hope to dismantle and clean today.
                    I used to alway have a 3/4 bar handy near mine with a flat on one side. Around 3 inches or so, just to use as a counterweight.
                    Tundra machine would soak up a lot of imbalance, but on a B,port type, the spindle can vibrate vquiteceasily if tool is off balance.

Comment

Got it dismantled,cleaned,lubed and assembled all critical parts are like new no galling or scoring on dovetails or gib.It has been used a lot and lots of nicks from being handled rough but will last me a life time.Got accurate measurement 3-7/8" dia with 1-3/4" travel,the adjusting screw is 5/8" x42 tpi ,only one 5/8" set screw for locking travel.I never found a name any where,seems strange being very well built.

Comment

Found out Boring Head is a Flynn 65 Made in USA for a 100 yrs a $1000 US at MSC.

Comment

nice score!

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                            nice score!
                            Ya I think it will be good,I got that Boring head,3" facing head,6"facing head all with 40 taper shanks to match my mill and some other stuff for $150.00 cdn.The Flynn stuff seems pricey the shank alone at KBC is $775.

Comment

I found a Criterion SL-202 in the tooling from Fred. It ONLY has a 1/2 in. horizontal slot, no vertical options at all. Well, that's how it was before...

They're fine if the hole is already bigger than the head.
                              It's all mind over matter.
                              If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X