Price of gas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price of gas.

Mixed gas that is. I bought/leased a 40lb bottle of mixed gas for my mig $170.00. The gas cost $4.00. It had been awhile so I was a little suprised at the cost, but when you need it, you need it.
    I'm honing my welding skills as part of my job search.

Maybe I'm a little dense this morning, I don't understand what you're saying.

You bought OR did you lease the bottle? And the gas to fill it cost $4?

On the advice of friends I bought all my bottles. They're a size that supposedly is only sold, so I have no trouble about ownership when going back to refills. My actual bottle is not refilled and returned to me though. They exchange my empty for a full bottle. In this case I guess possession is ownership since every fill up I end up with a different bottle.

Can't remember my bottle sizes, but I don't think I've ever got a refill for only $4!

As for bottle ownership, I bought a small bottle at auction for portable use with my inverter TIG. Only a couple bucks, I took it in to get a refill and thay tell me it's out of certification, so it'll cost me an extra $20 to get it pressure tested. Still a deal, just not as good as I thought.

Speaking of the other kind of gas, paid $1.89 a gallon yesterday in Seattle. Last week I paid $1.77 in Tacoma.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DR:
      Maybe I'm a little dense this morning, I don't understand what you're saying.

You bought OR did you lease the bottle? And the gas to fill it cost $4?

On the advice of friends I bought all my bottles. They're a size that supposedly is only sold, so I have no trouble about ownership when going back for refills. My actual bottle is not refilled and returned to me though. They exchange my empty for a full bottle. In this case I guess possession is ownership since every fill up I end up with a different bottle.

Can't remember my bottle sizes, but I don't think I've ever got a refill for only $4!

As for bottle ownership, I bought a small bottle at auction for portable use with my inverter TIG. Only a couple bucks, I took it in to get a refill and thay tell me it's out of certification, so it'll cost me an extra $20 to get it pressure tested. Still a deal, just not as good as I thought.

Speaking of the other kind of gas, paid $1.89 a gallon yesterday in Seattle. Last week I paid $1.77 in Tacoma.
      </font>

Comment

oops, double post.

Comment

I own my bottles and to fill an 80 cf of C25 costs me about $38 bucks in Wy, so your getting a great price

Walt
          Walt

Comment

My bottle is a medium size, don't even know, maybe 20 lb, it cost me about $18.00 to fill.
            Michael

Comment

DR. Since you never really own the tanks I guess I leased it. And yeah. Mixed gas for $4.00 .

BTW. Are you still in the screw machine business? What are you running? Any Brownies?

Comment

Some safety/liability law makes ownership or gas bottle not possible. I life time lease several bottles. For my Argon Super Bottles, I have two pony size vessels. They cost like $6.00 to exchange. The neat thing is when you lease for life, you never have an out of date bottle.

Jerry

Comment

I own all 5 of my bottles outright. Never had a problem getting them refilled or exchanged.

Comment

Ditto Joel. I also own all my bottles. Every time I go to "exchange" them for a filled tank, I take my Gas folder with me. It has all the purchase receipts in it. My regular place never even checks any more.

You could probably take a tank to a refiller and wait for "yours" to be filled but you might be there all day. Exchanging for a filled tank will mean that you always get a certified tank (up to date). My originals are out there somewhere. A few are probably in China by now--With scrap prices what they are.

Comment

They don't sell tanks anymore around here. I tried.

They do lease them, you can get a lifetime lease for about twice what a 5 year contract is for.

I paid 340 for my cutting bottles 5 year lease.. mig bottles are $40 each per year.. yeah, I should convert it to a 5 year contract too.. and then the propane bottle I should've bought for the casting furnace.. and.. bottomless pit here..

They know me by name at all the welding shops around here.

------------------
                      David Cofer, Of:
                      Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Comment

The local Tractor supply store now stocks oxy/act and will supposedly exchange bottles (have not used their service yet ). I "own" my bottles, alway exchange. I see no reason for the company re-filling to charge a test fee unless you are insisting on keeping your bottles. I get bottles near time for re-test and bottles that are just out of test. If you exchange, there should be no cost, they test when needed. BTW, I exchange bottles any place there is a service. No need to stick to one supplier. Prices for the jugs are high at Tractor supply, refilled (exchange) gases are cheapest I know of around here.

Smart man might buy empty at a flea market and exchange- but there is a code on the necks- rail road has a code, federal Gov't has one, I have no idea how many codes there are, I see some now marked clearly " customer owned" or something like that. Beware the cheap jug that is borrowed from a company with a code. You lose the jugs at exchange.

Comment

Working...
                        X