3 jaw lathe chuck jaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 jaw lathe chuck jaws

I have no outside jaws for my 3 jaw. I am considering buying a new one and was wondering if there is any reason to choose either two sets of jaws or 2 piece jaws? Is there some advantage to one system? I like the idea of the two piece reversible jaws, nothing to get lost. If they are equal to interchangeable jaws that's what I will get.
    Thoughts?

2 Piece jaws also let you make soft jaws, which can be pretty useful at times.

Comment

Given a choice I would not even consider a chuck with two sets of jaws. Two piece jaws only for me.

Back in the day USA made chucks with two piece jaws were more expensive. These days off shore chucks may be reasonable with two piece jaws.

If you go with two piece jaws see if the jaw mount pattern is "standard" so you can buy off the shelf machinable soft top jaws. (Surprisingly, USA made Buck two piece jaws are not standard.)

Comment

you can often find jaws for sale, might be worth if its a really good chuck. You'll need to measure the slot and pitch
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
          you can often find jaws for sale, might be worth if its a really good chuck. You'll need to measure the slot and pitch
          Good point.. JR
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by Captain K View Post
            I have no outside jaws for my 3 jaw. I am considering buying a new one and was wondering if there is any reason to choose either two sets of jaws or 2 piece jaws?
            I mis-read your post. For some reason I was thinking jaws with both on one. I have never seen a chuck with two sets, one inside one outside. I do have the two piece and the reversible and like either of those. Maybe see if there reversible type for yours. Might save some cash. I can swap either type out at about the same rate. The reversible lets me get in with a brush to clear chips and metal dust. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
              I mis-read your post. For some reason I was thinking jaws with both on one. I have never seen a chuck with two sets, one inside one outside. I do have the two piece and the reversible and like either of those. Maybe see if there reversible type for yours. Might save some cash. I can swap either type out at about the same rate. The reversible lets me get in with a brush to clear chips and metal dust. JR
              I think you've confused 3-jaw and 4-jaw. Reversible one-piece jaws are the norm on 4-jaw chucks, not possible on a 3-jaw. In the old days, 3-jaw chucks came with 2 sets of jaws. Then came 2-piece jaws where the top jaws can be reversed.

I'm a fan of 2-piece jaws. They're more versatile (soft-jaws, pie-jaws, etc.) and there is no second set of jaws to lose.
              It's all mind over matter.
              If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

I want to find that special place where all the "other" sets of jaws end up hiding...

Comment

In general, two piece jaws are not available for lathes under 5 inches.

There is a standard for two piece jaws that lets you buy off the shelf. For instance, Shars has a set of "soft" steel jaws for only $24 that meet the American Standard tongue and groove specification. If you chose a chuck with a proprietary design the replacement costs may be very high.

Dan
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                    I want to find that special place where all the "other" sets of jaws end up hiding...
                    Perhaps they immigrate, I have one chuck with two sets of outside jaws and one chuck with outside jaws only.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhoopee View Post
                      I think you've confused 3-jaw and 4-jaw. Reversible one-piece jaws are the norm on 4-jaw chucks, not possible on a 3-jaw. In the old days, 3-jaw chucks came with 2 sets of jaws. Then came 2-piece jaws where the top jaws can be reversed.
                      I have a small 3 jaw scroll chuck that has reversible jaws. Instead of making a partial thread on the back of the jaws they simply put in posts. That let the jaws go in either way.

I wish I knew where the second set of jaws are for my 3 inch chuck. They come in handy.
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                        In general, two piece jaws are not available for lathes under 5 inches.

There is a standard for two piece jaws that lets you buy off the shelf. For instance, Shars has a set of "soft" steel jaws for only $24 that meet the American Standard tongue and groove specification. If you chose a chuck with a proprietary design the replacement costs may be very high.

Dan
                        Even if non-standard (I have several chucks like that) soft jaws are dead simple to make.

Comment

I think you've confused 3-jaw and 4-jaw.
                          I dont think so but you may be correct. I thought I had my three jaw on the SB when I went to look before posting the first time and I WAS confused there LOL

While looking at my chuck I was thinking of my Southbend three jaw chuck. What I was actually looking at was my six jaw that has reversible jaws.

I need to get my eyes checked.

So this sixer has reversible, ill take three jaws out and make it a three jaw. Kidding. I cant get to my SB three jaw right now but I would bet it has reversible jaws as well. JR

OR!! Maybe I really dont get it. These might not be reversible IIEEEE!!

Last edited by JRouche; 01-24-2018, 10:26 PM.

Comment

How can you reverse one piece jaws? The curved "teeth" are made to fit the curvature of the scroll and are offset. Unless, of course, it's a scroll-less chuck. But I see teeth on the back of your jaws.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                              How can you reverse one piece jaws?
                              You cant. I have too many chucks .. I dont know what the hell I was thinking. Oh well JR

I think this
                              I think you've confused 3-jaw and 4-jaw.

Comment

Working...
                              X