Which side for Dial on Boring Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which side for Dial on Boring Head?

Are the Dial on Boring Heads designed to be pulled toward the body when boring.

Dale,

It depends on how you configure the boring head. Theoretically you can go either way--it depends on the tools you're
    using. My boring head rotates clockwise and uses a RH tool if it's mounted in the vertical position and a LH
    tool if it's in the horizontal position. To extend the tool out--increasing the size of the bore--the dial turns CCW. If I
    wanted to run the mill in a CCW direction I would have to reverse the position of the tools.

When using a boring head it doesn't matter which way you have to turn the dial as long as you make sure you take all
    the backlash out of the travel. One of the keys to getting accurate results with a boring head is to make sure that
    each time you adjust the cutter you only loosen the locking screws just enough to allow the slide to move to the new
    position and never reverse the direction of travel (of the screw) once you've started on a bore...
    Keith

Comment

I prefer the dial opposite the cutter. Then the big, clumsy hands don't get nicked by the sharp cutter while adjusting the size.

Mike

Comment

I'm not clear on the question.

While all of the above is true, does it answer your question? I'm not sure.

Are you making your own?

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
          I'm not clear on the question.

While all of the above is true, does it answer your question? I'm not sure.

Are you making your own?
          The reason for the question is I have to turn the Dial clockwise for the cutters I'm using and in pic of boring head the fine setting hash marks are for counter clockwise rotation.

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
          Dale,

It depends on how you configure the boring head. Theoretically you can go either way--it depends on the tools you're
          using. My boring head rotates clockwise and uses a RH tool if it's mounted in the vertical position and a LH
          tool if it's in the horizontal position. To extend the tool out--increasing the size of the bore--the dial turns CCW. If I
          wanted to run the mill in a CCW direction I would have to reverse the position of the tools.

When using a boring head it doesn't matter which way you have to turn the dial as long as you make sure you take all
          the backlash out of the travel. One of the keys to getting accurate results with a boring head is to make sure that
          each time you adjust the cutter you only loosen the locking screws just enough to allow the slide to move to the new
          position and never reverse the direction of travel (of the screw) once you've started on a bore...
          Thanks Keith was looking for reasonable priced 3/4" round for vertical boring and remembered that Auction Stuff we looked at in summer.I was pretty happy ,here was a Kennametal End Mill that fit perfect,I removed about 20 thou for more clearance.I just bored a sample at 600 rpm taking 50 thou cuts seemed effortless and left a nice finish.The Narex head that I mentioned did not happen,but this Flynn Head should cover my needs.I should have a Asimetto centering device by end of week off there winter sale flyer.Could not find any square boring bars for the horizontal,the ones I made will work fine for a project coming up.It been very cold here so getting shop time,goofy drilling machine just about done!

Comment

Had a Moment,just realized the square horizontal bar just needs to be put in the opposite side to feed it counter clockwise.Still have to do clockwise for round vertical as flat spot for indexing only on one side.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
              Had a Moment,just realized the square horizontal bar just needs to be put in the opposite side to feed it counter clockwise.Still have to do clockwise for round vertical as flat spot for indexing only on one side.
              Yeah, if you want to rotate the tool in only one direction then the "hand" of the tool will change as you go from horizontal to vertical. When you reverse
              the rotation the hand of the tools must change as well. To confuse things even more there may be the occasional time when you need to machine a
              spigot instead of a bore in which case the tools would be reversed again. Confused yet? It's easy enough to visualize if you have the tools right in front
              of you.

Another thing to consider is that you don't necessarily need a square tool to fit in that square hole. Most carbide boring bars have multiple flats and will
              work just fine. If you use a boring bar in a toolholder in a lathe there is no round hole; the bar is just clamped between two flat surfaces...
              Keith

Comment

The reason for the question is I have to turn the Dial clockwise for the cutters I'm using and in pic of boring head the fine setting hash marks are for counter clockwise rotation.
                Instead of referencing the zero mark on the body, can't you just pretend the zero mark is at the other end of the fine hash marks. Then it would
                work for clockwise rotation, right?

Comment

If that is a vernier scale, it wouldn't matter which side of 0 it's on. I can't tell from the pic if it's vernier or not. Even if not vernier you should still be able to tell how many marks it's moving going either direction.

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
                    Yeah, if you want to rotate the tool in only one direction then the "hand" of the tool will change as you go from horizontal to vertical. When you reverse
                    the rotation the hand of the tools must change as well. To confuse things even more there may be the occasional time when you need to machine a
                    spigot instead of a bore in which case the tools would be reversed again. Confused yet? It's easy enough to visualize if you have the tools right in front
                    of you.

Another thing to consider is that you don't necessarily need a square tool to fit in that square hole. Most carbide boring bars have multiple flats and will
                    work just fine. If you use a boring bar in a toolholder in a lathe there is no round hole; the bar is just clamped between two flat surfaces...
                    Yes I am getting it figured out when looking at on machine,I have a 3/4" bar like used in lathe but does not seem to fit tight in sqaure hole.Just thought the full square bar would be a bit more ridget than the 3/4" round with flat spots.
                    Originally posted by RichR View Post
                    Instead of referencing the zero mark on the body, can't you just pretend the zero mark is at the other end of the fine hash marks. Then it would
                    work for clockwise rotation, right?
                    Yes I think that would work.
                    Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                    If that is a vernier scale, it wouldn't matter which side of 0 it's on. I can't tell from the pic if it's vernier or not. Even if not vernier you should still be able to tell how many marks it's moving going either direction.
                    Yes it is vernier.
                    Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 02-07-2018, 12:55 PM.

Comment

...I have a 3/4" bar like used in lathe but does not seem to fit tight in sqaure hole.Just thought the full square bar would be a bit more ridget than the 3/4" round with flat spots...
                      It should be fine unless you're really hogging on the cut. Quite often when I'm using a boring bar on the lathe it's only
                      touching the bottom of the slot in the toolholder--only the compression of the screws to hold it in place...
                      Keith

Comment

Working...
                      X