Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Case hardened mounts for security chain

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Case hardened mounts for security chain

    I just bought a heavy duty, case hardened, Pewag security chain for the back of my truck. This thing has a RC62 hardness and is pretty much impossible to break into.
    The problem is how to anchor it to the truck. Kind of silly to mount a fail safe chain with an easily cuttable bolt or eyelet. I'm having no luck finding anything close to hard enough to hold up. I don't need high strength, just hardness so it can't be easily cut off with a cutting wheel.
    Any kind of fastener will do, bolts, eyelets, etc.
    Ideas?
    Last edited by Roxtar; 02-08-2018, 01:25 PM.

  • #2
    Well I don't know what will resist the action of a cut-off wheel that you can use. Unless the chain emerges though a hardened base plate and attached by the underside, there are very few options that will resist the cut off wheel.

    R,
    HAP
    Who do I think you are...?

    Comment


    • #3
      General Purpose Abrasive wheels rated to cut up to Rc 65:
      https://www.kemet.co.uk/products/met...cut-off-wheels

      Comment


      • #4
        If they want to steal it they will. You might find a hardened bolt or eye, but ulitmatly, your truck is non hardened sheet metal easily cut into with a cutting wheel.
        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by HAP View Post
          Well I don't know what will resist the action of a cut-off wheel that you can use. Unless the chain emerges though a hardened base plate and attached by the underside, there are very few options that will resist the cut off wheel.

          R,
          HAP
          A bolt or eyelet case hardened to a 60RC (similar to what the chain is) will help to make it difficult/slow enough to convince a thief to move on. Yea, if they're really persistent they can cut the truck apart.

          Comment


          • #6
            Now that they sell diamond cutoff wheels for 4 and 4-1/2” grinders there really isn’t any such thing as a secure padlock, chain, or cable. For those of you that haven’t tried one yet I can report they work very well. They don’t get smaller in diameter and you get metal filings but no grit. In cutoff application the rim diamonds wear out first but the ones on the sides will still cut very well.

            Comment


            • #7
              All true, but if you can make cheap bolt cutters ineffective, surely you have foiled the vast majority of thieves.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                Now that they sell diamond cutoff wheels for 4 and 4-1/2” grinders there really isn’t any such thing as a secure padlock, chain, or cable. For those of you that haven’t tried one yet I can report they work very well. They don’t get smaller in diameter and you get metal filings but no grit. In cutoff application the rim diamonds wear out first but the ones on the sides will still cut very well.
                At least these will take on the standard, non-diamond, cutoff wheels and bolt cutters can't make a dent:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3VTyNGPuVo
                Last edited by Roxtar; 02-08-2018, 06:53 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  And to make things worse, those 4-1/2 grinders are now all over in cordless variety. Sub 10 seconds to cut a lock, cable etc. with a cutoff disk. Harder metals actually cut better. Fortunately, most thief's are not very tech savvy and stick with crowbars and bolt cutters.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Bolt it trough the hole(s). Bolt cutters are not a problem if you can't get the bolt shank between the jaws.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Roxtar View Post
                      At least these will take on the standard, non-diamond, cutoff wheels and bolt cutters can't make a dent:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3VTyNGPuVo
                      Did you not watch the video that you posted? The standard cutoff wheel made quick work of that chain. Hardly what I would call "can't make a dent"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
                        Did you not watch the video that you posted? The standard cutoff wheel made quick work of that chain. Hardly what I would call "can't make a dent"
                        I read that as ...bolt cutters can't make a dent

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
                          Did you not watch the video that you posted? The standard cutoff wheel made quick work of that chain. Hardly what I would call "can't make a dent"
                          It took him almost 5 minutes to cut through it versus about 10 seconds for a standard chain.
                          As far as bolt cutters go:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE1N...ature=youtu.be
                          Yea, that's "can't make a dent"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Obviously you are better off with the good chain. I am just pointing out that your description of the chain in you original post is a bit over the top. "This thing has a RC62 hardness and is pretty much impossible to break into."

                            It only took 2 minutes with a grinder. If you happen to be close by that is great, but hardly dirtbag proof.

                            I think MattiJ has the right idea. Around here the forest gates have an enclosure around the padlock so there is no way to get to the padlock with a pair of bolt cutter or a grinder.

                            Sucks that you gotta spend time and money trying to keep a hold of your own property.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Maybe you could mount an oversize D ring to run the chain thru. Just spit-ballin here.

                              http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratche...ounting-Ring_6

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X