I must'nt have been thinking---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must'nt have been thinking---

I didn't want to start off with a post titled "Damn, I done something dumb."--But--Every month I get a tool catalogue from Travers, and in it they have these pretty anodised aluminum chuck spacers with built in magnets to hold them to the chuck face. They are supposed to let you chuck up really short pieces in the 3 jaw lathe chuck and grip them "Square and true" to the spindle axis. Well okay--that sounded good to me. They showed 3 different sizes for the low low price of $60 plus shipping. I thought "What a great deal!! I'll order that set"--and I did.---and when it got here, Surprise, surprise--that low low price was for only one of the three they showed--and they sent me the shortest one, 5/8" thick. The jaws on my chuck stick out 1 1/4" from the face of the chuck. Well POOP!!! this damned thing is no good to me and I'm out $60 bucks.

Brian Rupnow

I've been having the opposite problem from Amazon. Order one Dyson vacuum roller clutch, and got two. Same thing with a computer power supply.

Comment

So, its been stuck to the back of my lathes splash apron for a year now, and everytime I walk into my machine shop it jumps up and shouts "Dumb-ass" at me. Having truly ran out of everything else to do this week, I decided maybe, possibly, I can do something to make this thing useable.
      In a perfect world, it would have been 1 1/16" thick, which would let me chuck something in the last 3/16" of my chuck jaws. That means I have to figure out some way to add 7/16" to the thickness of this thing. There is no really good way to bolt another spacer to this spacer, but it does have 3 "lightening" holes in it. Now if a man were to fill them lightening holes with J.B.Weld, maybe something could be done. Remember--the spacer doesn't take any load. It is simply a spacer. Checking my stock rack, I find a length of 1/2" x 1/4" cold rolled flatbar. Now, if I were to cut 3 pieces and weld them together at 120 degrees, and find a way to secure them to the face of that pretty anodized part maybe--just maybe---

Brian Rupnow

Comment

Is it still too deep for the parts you wanted to use, or not deep enough? If it's too deep, you could just machine some spacers that you toss in there before clamping in your part(s). If it's not deep enough, maybe just face mill it down to whatever size you want on your mill.

You can see the single, 3 and 5 sets they sell online:

https://www.travers.com/chuck-stops-...elistname=SITE

Comment

With the 3 pieces of flatbar clamped to something solid that isn't going to let them move while I'm welding them, we proceed with our trusty mig. The hole in the aluminum plate where the 3 bars come together is to give me unrestricted access to the area I want to weld. I know everything is going to squirm around a bit anyway when it's welded, but this doesn't concern me too much, as both sides are going to be machined flat eventually.

Brian Rupnow

Comment

The ends of the arms on the new weldment have been tapped #5-40 and shcs inserted. Now comes the J.B. weld part. I will degrease everything with laquer thinners, apply J.B. Weld to the face of the spider and set the new weldment on top of it, with the shcs extending into the lightening holes in the aluminum. Then I will pour these cavities full of J.B. Weld. After a couple of days for set-up time, I will clamp the ends of the aluminum arms down against my mill table and take a few very light cuts with the mill to true up the face of the new bars parallel to the side of the aluminum clamped to my mill bed.
            Brian Rupnow

Comment

Brian,

Before you fill the holes what about locating pins in the same place as the holes to let it all stay in place as you setup the part and your not having to fiddle with the steel, or will you use the magnets to secure it and not have it hold to the chuck?
              Either way at least you have put your $60.00 back to work for you. Now you just need to make them in different thicknesses to accommodate all situations.

Keep us posted on the functionality. looks like you got it!

TX
              Mr fixit for the family
              Chris
              Last edited by Mr Fixit; 02-10-2018, 01:52 PM. Reason: too slow to post

Comment

Clumsy bastard...

Comment

And there we have it. A rather goopy looking mess at the moment, but when that J.B. Weld hardens up and the new "face" on the non magnet side is machined, I might actually get some use out of that thing.
                  Brian Rupnow

Comment

The new weldment was attached to the non magnetic side. The magnets will still hold the fixture to the face of the chuck as was intended. That last picture actually shows the magnetic side up and the cavities filled with J.B. weld to "anchor" the heads and shanks of the #5-40 shcs.
                    Brian Rupnow

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                      The new weldment was attached to the non magnetic side. The magnets will still hold the fixture to the face of the chuck as was intended. That last picture actually shows the magnetic side up and the cavities filled with J.B. weld to "anchor" the heads and shanks of the #5-40 shcs.
                      A chuck with two piece jaws, so you can use soft jaws. Machine the jaws to exactly what you need.

Comment

That's a nice fix.

But I would have been on the phone right away, claiming false advertisement and fraud. I would not have been happy until they provided a full refund, INCLUDING SHIPPING AND HANDLING charges and paid the full cost of the return shipment. If you don't rattle their cage, they don't get the point and they continue the deceptive advertising.

Heck, I would have even asked for them to pay for my time for shipping it back. They probably wouldn't have gone for that, but you can yield the point when they agree to the rest.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                          I didn't want to start off with a post titled "Damn, I done something dumb."--But--Every month I get a tool catalogue from Travers, and in it they have these pretty anodised aluminum chuck spacers with built in magnets to hold them to the chuck face. They are supposed to let you chuck up really short pieces in the 3 jaw lathe chuck and grip them "Square and true" to the spindle axis. Well okay--that sounded good to me. They showed 3 different sizes for the low low price of $60 plus shipping. I thought "What a great deal!! I'll order that set"--and I did.---and when it got here, Surprise, surprise--that low low price was for only one of the three they showed--and they sent me the shortest one, 5/8" thick. The jaws on my chuck stick out 1 1/4" from the face of the chuck. Well POOP!!! this damned thing is no good to me and I'm out $60 bucks.
                          $60 is pretty high for a single spacer. What did Travers say when you phoned them about it? Did they mess up the order or did you misread something? Either way, Travers is pretty good about fixing issues like this ...

On a side note; a set of these things is actually pretty useful. I use my full set all the time in order to get the maximum possible jaw engagement on short pieces of stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                            Heck, I would have even asked for them to pay for my time for shipping it back.
                            Has anyone ever taken you up on that offer?

Comment

I am missing something.
                              Why not drill and Counterbore the steel for the SHCS. Then transfer and tap into the auminum.
                              Then mount the three pieces and tack them for welding then take off, finish weld and grind.
                              Then mount it back on the red thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X