Be Sure To Lock Up Your Shop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be Sure To Lock Up Your Shop!

Don't want one of these [email protected] invading. I see a Bridgeport and a nice looking lathe but I can't quite make it out... looks like a Monarch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXxrmussq4E

Yup, one of my favorite companies. Boston Dynamics.

Comment

This is my favorite BD creation

Comment

And what's worse is that they are working in packs! ! ! ! !

I hate to say it but with the push for better and more capable AI and the developments in robotics I can see the world getting a new class of inhabitants soon. But will they be like Isaac Asimov's robots with core laws that shape their behavior in a way that guards against them competing with humanity or will they be like Skynet?

Comment

They need tails to wag.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post

I hate to say it but with the push for better and more capable AI and the developments in robotics I can see the world getting a new class of inhabitants soon. But will they be like Isaac Asimov's robots with core laws that shape their behavior in a way that guards against them competing with humanity.....?
            Not even close..... more likely the reverse, for the moment.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

I hate to say it but with the push for better and more capable AI and the developments in robotics I can see the world getting a new class of inhabitants soon. But will they be like Isaac Asimov's robots with core laws that shape their behavior in a way that guards against them competing with humanity or will they be like Skynet?
              Knowing how to train and characterize deep neural networks is an extremely hot area. For the people that actually understand the technology and can drive it within a company, a seven figure salary is quite common.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                Yup, one of my favorite companies. Boston Dynamics.
                I remember these guys during their MIT days. They were always ahead of the game.
                John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Well the guy uses a hockey stick to keep his distance from it.so he must be worried about his safety.

Comment

Do they have teeth?

Comment

Need a minigun on it's back Don't forget it's Gun & Roses day for your Sweetie!
                      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                      country, in easy stages."
                      ~ James Madison

Comment

Depends... if they're smart enough to transcend their programming and do what they want quickly enough, we might be okay. But, if they keep doing what we tell them to do, we're in deep, deep trouble. All the big money is going into making AI and Robots that can do stocks (steal from us) or fight wars (kill us). That said, if they did wipe us out, because we told them to, then the average intelligence of the planet will go up.

I'm hoping the transition to "being smart enough to ignore us" happens quickly. After that, worst case, they'll just leave. I mean, what do we have that a machine would want? Space is where it's at... continuous solar energy, no pesky gravity, lots of resources. Why stay down at the bottom of a gravity well, full of water, salt, and oxygen... and don't get me started about the nasty bio-film coating the whole thing... they get everywhere and some of it even has nuclear weapons. Talk about a lousy neighbourhood for a machine.

David...
                        http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pfff...let 'em in and strip 'em for parts.
                          Len

Comment

I always wanted a dog like that. Just program it so it takes itself for a walk. No more need to feed it, it just plugs itself into a wall outlet for a recharge like a Rhumba vacuum cleaner. You wouldn't even have to get up to let it out. It would just call a friend to come and open the door for it.
                            Brian Rupnow

Comment

Originally posted by fixerdave View Post
                              Depends... if they're smart enough to transcend their programming and do what they want quickly enough, we might be okay. But, if they keep doing what we tell them to do, we're in deep, deep trouble. All the big money is going into making AI and Robots that can do stocks (steal from us) or fight wars (kill us). That said, if they did wipe us out, because we told them to, then the average intelligence of the planet will go up.

I'm hoping the transition to "being smart enough to ignore us" happens quickly. After that, worst case, they'll just leave. I mean, what do we have that a machine would want? Space is where it's at... continuous solar energy, no pesky gravity, lots of resources. Why stay down at the bottom of a gravity well, full of water, salt, and oxygen... and don't get me started about the nasty bio-film coating the whole thing... they get everywhere and some of it even has nuclear weapons. Talk about a lousy neighbourhood for a machine.

David...
                              One word why they won't leave..... "resources". Unless they take up mining the asteroid belt that is. Machines can't "grow" by cell division. So "making a baby" will require gathering all the various elements needed to construct new robots. And that stuff is only available at the bottom of a gravity well or from somewhere like the asteroids if they can find it in the amounts required.

But I agree that the only real reason why intelligent machines would take over and wipe us out would be if we threatened them with damage to them directly or to the environment they would use for mining those resources. But if we left them alone likely they would leave us alone.... unless their intelligence reached a point where they decided that they like pets or that they developed a sense of beauty of nature... in which case our effect on the planet would be seen as an affront to Mother Nature and it would be curtains for us. Or they'd drive us back to a hunter/gatherer base and hold us there. That way we'd just be another part of the flora and fauna.

Or..... perhaps they'd develop faster than light travel and just leave and not give us the recipe so we couldn't venture forth to mess up more planets?

Comment

Working...
                              X