Clear All

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    That is a work of art
    If it does'nt fit, hit it.
    https://ddmetalproducts.co.uk
    http://www.davekearley.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by Davek0974 View Post
      He mentioned warming the engine up before starting it. In fact, there are countless references to warming up these engines before they will start. Ridders instructions make reference too. Brian made no mention of warming his up before starting attempts. Ridders instructions give detailed measurement methods to tell if the engine is "loose" enough also.

Here is a video about warm up with some good explanations in the comments section. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgbFoUE4VyY
      Last edited by Sparky_NY; 03-04-2018, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Interesting,

I would like one of these....

https://youtu.be/Mw1W7f_WtaM
        If it does'nt fit, hit it.
        https://ddmetalproducts.co.uk
        http://www.davekearley.co.uk

Comment

• There are some fantastic flame eaters on Youtube. I did preheat my cylinder. I tried it with some oil. I tried it without any oil. I tried with every conceivable flame height and 95% alcohol. I tried it with every flame position. I've tried clockwise rotation. I tried counterclockwise rotation. I'm now waiting for either a full moon, or to get my machinable graphite.
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• I must have got up on the right side of the bed this morning, because today I have a runner. The only thing different from my previous attempts to make this engine run is that I squirted some WD40 into the cylinder before I tried to run it. I am using methyl hydrate (gasline anti-freeze) for fuel. Nothing has been changed mechanically since I finished the engine earlier this week. I have a stick of machinable graphite on order to make a new valve and piston from, which will replace the current cast iron piston and valve. Oh, I am so happy. There is nothing worse than building an engine and knowing that you've done everything right, and then the engine won't run!!---Brian
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI77...ature=youtu.be
            Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Fantastic news Brian, we just had a full moon a few days ago so perhaps being on the back side of it helps align the polar momentum.

Congratulations!!!

Amazing how particular these little fellows are as to what makes them run or not. Probably something to do with the efficiency and nano-hp output .
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• Good work!
                Cheers,
                Jon

Comment

• Nice work Brian! Runs very smooth and pleasing.

Were you able to speed it up at all?
                  Andy

Comment

• Super!

if you watch the last video I linked, you will see that before running the engine, he "oiled the pistons". Each of the 4 cylinders has a small cup that he put oil in, which presumably went right into the cylinder. I was not clear if the little screw he turned wa a drip oiler or just a valve to let oil in, which is closed before running. I suspect the latter.

It would seem to take VERY little leakage to make the engine not run. Presumably his oil, and your WD40, lubed and sealed the piston enough more to make it work.
                    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Great news Brian, Congrats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                        Super!

if you watch the last video I linked, you will see that before running the engine, he "oiled the pistons". Each of the 4 cylinders has a small cup that he put oil in, which presumably went right into the cylinder. I was not clear if the little screw he turned wa a drip oiler or just a valve to let oil in, which is closed before running. I suspect the latter.

It would seem to take VERY little leakage to make the engine not run. Presumably his oil, and your WD40, lubed and sealed the piston enough more to make it work.
                        What a great post. Now if you'd just figured it out and posted it before Brian figured it out, that would have been great. Could have saved days of angst for Brian.

Brian, congrats on another successful build. YOU are amazing!

Dan
                        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Brian:

I thought you concluded that you WOULD oil the piston? I seem to recall you had started out figuring to run it dry, and I thought you had decided to use oil. If so, maybe the WD diluted it and made it thinner, less "draggy". It wasn't very draggy in the video from before, though.

Looking back at the videos, the one you had where it did not work (that I missed seeing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPiwXM4xSvM

In that one, it did not look nearly as "free" as in the other one where you demonstrated how free it was. I'd say it only coasted about 1/3 to 1/2 as long in that link above as when you did the coasting demo.

Was there any difference in lube?
                          Last edited by J Tiers; 03-05-2018, 01:22 AM.
                          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• As an experiment, put some ice over the cooling fins. I predict the engine will speed up substantially.

Is there an icicle handy?
                            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• I can speed the engine up a bit by relocating the alcohol flame. I'm sure that ice on the cylinder would make it run longer--not real sure about faster. The engine runs for about 20 minutes until the cylinder heats up enough that there isn't much heat differential between the flame and the cylinder temp.--Then it slowly dies and stops.
                              Brian Rupnow
                              Design engineer
                              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• danlb--Thank you. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over, knowing that somebody thinks I'm amazing. I'll go to bed tonight with a big smile on my face.---Brian
                                Brian Rupnow
                                Design engineer
                                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X