X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lew Hartswick
    replied
    Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    I spent the lions share of today making a crankshaft, a crank throw and con-rod big end pin. I called about my bearings but they won't be in until tomorrow. I also drilled the 1/8" hole for the valve rod full length of the cylinder---You can see a 1/8" piece of cold rolled setting in the hole.
    With the "low power" available from these engines, doesn't running that rod through a hole cause some additional frictional losses?? It's bound to rub a bit isn't it?
    ...lew...

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    No--Silver solder
    Last edited by brian Rupnow; 02-20-2018, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sid pileski
    replied
    Did you braze the crank disk to the shaft?

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    I spent the lions share of today making a crankshaft, a crank throw and con-rod big end pin. I called about my bearings but they won't be in until tomorrow. I also drilled the 1/8" hole for the valve rod full length of the cylinder---You can see a 1/8" piece of cold rolled setting in the hole.

Leave a comment:

• BobinOK
    replied
    Leave them alone, look pretty and will add to the surface area for heat transfer.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    In the above picture you can see the chatter marks made by my parting off tool when cutting the fins. Other than a narrow file, does anybody have a better way to get rid of these chatter marks?
    Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
    I use a 1.0 strip of emery folded in a "U"..
    If needed, fold it over a backer, like a paint stick for instance.

Sid

This will work, a popsicle stick comes to mind. A small file as you mentioned would also serve well.
    I would be inclined to use a very narrow HSS tool bit ground to simulate a parting tool. I have several like this ground from either a 3/8" or 1/2" blank ground down to about a .030" width that I use for O-ring grooves or fine detail work much like what you are doing.

My only concern is that being 316ss it may now be work hardened.

Leave a comment:

• sid pileski
    replied
    In the above picture you can see the chatter marks made by my parting off tool when cutting the fins. Other than a narrow file, does anybody have a better way to get rid of these chatter marks?
    I use a 1.0 strip of emery folded in a "U"..
    If needed, fold it over a backer, like a paint stick for instance.

Sid

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Originally posted by vpt View Post
    Guess I should pay more attention, its been on every rendering and blueprint posted.

Besides following the plans is there a reason not to just make the flywheel and shaft out of just a single piece of material?
    Brass is heavy, and very pretty, but you really don't want it for a shaft. It doesn't stand up to that type of use particularly well. Also, brass costs a fortune, and you don't want to be buying a great big lump of it to turn into chips to incorporate the shaft into the flywheel.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    VOILA!!! We have a base for our flame eater engine. I was supposed to go across town today to my "real job" but got a last minute reprieve by email. I hope my bearings come in today.

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    Guess I should pay more attention, its been on every rendering and blueprint posted.

Besides following the plans is there a reason not to just make the flywheel and shaft out of just a single piece of material?

Leave a comment:

• dalee100
    replied
    Hi,

Ridder's plans call for drilling that setscrew hole at a 45deg angle in the hub. I didn't see doing that either and did the same as you, and drilled straight through the flywheel. It kind of detracts from the look of the rim a bit, but it's much easier to do. I think maybe I should make a plug to fill the hole.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Originally posted by vpt View Post
    Is that divot in the flywheel for balancing?

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    Is that divot in the flywheel for balancing?

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    This morning I whittled out a pair of crankshaft bearing stands. Nothing too exotic, but it'll do. I don't have the bearings yet that fit into the stands. I don't know if I have material for the baseplate or not---Will have to search my odds and sods basket to see.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X