No announcement yet.

Brian does Ridders flame eater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are, though.... Once you get an idea, you usually have it built within a couple weeks. I'm not sure this one even took that long.

That's what I find amazing. It usually takes me longer to work out the details, although I have done some things quickly. My first ideas are not usually good ones, and after a few days I see what would be better, so I have learned not to start too early. I have learned I need some "percolation time" to get the best result.

You seem to have the whole thing designed much faster.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
      danlb--Thank you. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over, knowing that somebody thinks I'm amazing. I'll go to bed tonight with a big smile on my face.---Brian
      Hi
      Enjoy the smile on your face... I agree with the above

I too enjoy your build projects and follow along on anything you build. I admire and envy your creativity, tenacity and focus when you are challenged.
      I have a similar mill too the one you are using and was wondering if you have considered a power draw-bar mod for it. I could do with a little enlightened inspiration.

Bert

Comment

• I have never thought about a power drawbar for my machine. Sorry, if I had any ideas on it I would certainly share them.---Brian
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Today I tried some 99% alcohol that I bought from my pharmacy. I thought it might make a difference to how the motor ran, but it didn't. As of the moment, my opinion is that these are wimp arsed little engines that aren't much use for anything. That may change once I get my machinable graphite to make new valve/piston and get my proper wick, both of which are currently being shipped to me. I did want to build and run one of these engines, just to say I had done it, but I am not overly impressed.
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• I have been a way for a few day so I'm playing catch up here. Another great job. Glad to see it run.
            Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

..... As of the moment, my opinion is that these are wimp arsed little engines that aren't much use for anything. .....
              Perfectly correct. You have a cylinder of 0.875" diameter. So the area of it is about 0.6 in^2. So, the absolute best pressure you could get (and never will) is not quite 9 lb, for a perfect vacuum, which you do not have and will not ever have.

In reality, you will get far less. You can estimate the temperature change, and so forth (a lot of variables, most unknown), and get an educated guess of the pressure, but my suspicion is that you have at best a few ounces pressure on the piston. That is not going to be a strong runner if there is anything at all causing a drag.

And I am still remembering the video of it NOT running with a large flame. It surely did appear to get about half as many turns, and stop faster, than in the video where you showed how freely it turned. It appeared that there was a definite difference in free-ness of turning, which I would suppose, if true, has to affect it running (or not).

No certainty here, but might it turn over more easily cold than hotter for some reason? Is there an expansion coefficient difference between the piston material and the SS cylinder?
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Who is Raymond Monohan? He just set me $25 by Paypal and I have no idea of who he is or what engine plan he wants.---Brian
                Brian Rupnow
                Design engineer
                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Who is Raymond Monohan? He just set me $25 by Paypal and I have no idea of who he is or what engine plan he wants.---Brian
                  Email him? Nah, this way is better.

Comment

• When an email form Paypal shows up in my email it gives the amount of money and the name of whoever sent it but doesn't include the guys email address.
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• He's probably not a member of this forum or he'd know that you have multiple sets of plans available. Where else might he have heard of you?
                      Southwest Utah

Comment

When an email form Paypal shows up in my email it gives the amount of money and the name of whoever sent it but doesn't include the guys email address.
                        Log into PayPal (Go directly to www.paypal.com and login, don't click on any links within the Email), select the transaction, click on "Details" and it will give you his email address.

Comment

• Thank you 3phase--I did what you suggested and got it sorted out.--Brian
                          Brian Rupnow
                          Design engineer
                          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have never thought about a power drawbar for my machine. Sorry, if I had any ideas on it I would certainly share them.---Brian
                            Brian

No need to apologize, no problem! Ive scattered a seed and who knows it may very well germinate.

Comment

• I had to go out for an hour this morning.--Wouldn't you know it, when I got back, there was a note on my door from FedEx, saying that no-one was home to receive the shipment, but they would try again tomorrow!!! I'm thinking that is my stick of machinable graphite.
                              Brian Rupnow
                              Design engineer
                              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• My machineable graphite came in this morning, so I immediately took it into the machine-shop and made a piston and a valve. It is incredibly filthy stuff, as the picture testifies, but machines very easy. Everything I had read about machineable graphite recommends using carbide tooling to cut it, and maybe for a great deal of machining this may be so. For the little bit of machining I had to do, HSS tooling worked fine.

Brian Rupnow
                                Design engineer
                                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X