Clear All

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Thank you 3phase--I did what you suggested and got it sorted out.--Brian

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    When an email form Paypal shows up in my email it gives the amount of money and the name of whoever sent it but doesn't include the guys email address.
    Log into PayPal (Go directly to www.paypal.com and login, don't click on any links within the Email), select the transaction, click on "Details" and it will give you his email address.

Leave a comment:

• chipmaker4130
    replied
    He's probably not a member of this forum or he'd know that you have multiple sets of plans available. Where else might he have heard of you?

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    When an email form Paypal shows up in my email it gives the amount of money and the name of whoever sent it but doesn't include the guys email address.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    Who is Raymond Monohan? He just set me $25 by Paypal and I have no idea of who he is or what engine plan he wants.---Brian
    Email him? Nah, this way is better.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Who is Raymond Monohan? He just set me $25 by Paypal and I have no idea of who he is or what engine plan he wants.---Brian

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    ..... As of the moment, my opinion is that these are wimp arsed little engines that aren't much use for anything. .....
    Perfectly correct. You have a cylinder of 0.875" diameter. So the area of it is about 0.6 in^2. So, the absolute best pressure you could get (and never will) is not quite 9 lb, for a perfect vacuum, which you do not have and will not ever have.

In reality, you will get far less. You can estimate the temperature change, and so forth (a lot of variables, most unknown), and get an educated guess of the pressure, but my suspicion is that you have at best a few ounces pressure on the piston. That is not going to be a strong runner if there is anything at all causing a drag.

And I am still remembering the video of it NOT running with a large flame. It surely did appear to get about half as many turns, and stop faster, than in the video where you showed how freely it turned. It appeared that there was a definite difference in free-ness of turning, which I would suppose, if true, has to affect it running (or not).

No certainty here, but might it turn over more easily cold than hotter for some reason? Is there an expansion coefficient difference between the piston material and the SS cylinder?

Leave a comment:

• Cuttings
    replied
    I have been a way for a few day so I'm playing catch up here. Another great job. Glad to see it run.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Today I tried some 99% alcohol that I bought from my pharmacy. I thought it might make a difference to how the motor ran, but it didn't. As of the moment, my opinion is that these are wimp arsed little engines that aren't much use for anything. That may change once I get my machinable graphite to make new valve/piston and get my proper wick, both of which are currently being shipped to me. I did want to build and run one of these engines, just to say I had done it, but I am not overly impressed.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    I have never thought about a power drawbar for my machine. Sorry, if I had any ideas on it I would certainly share them.---Brian

Leave a comment:

• mygrizzly1022
    replied
    danlb--Thank you. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over, knowing that somebody thinks I'm amazing. I'll go to bed tonight with a big smile on my face.---Brian
    Hi
    Enjoy the smile on your face... I agree with the above

I too enjoy your build projects and follow along on anything you build. I admire and envy your creativity, tenacity and focus when you are challenged.
    I have a similar mill too the one you are using and was wondering if you have considered a power draw-bar mod for it. I could do with a little enlightened inspiration.

Bert

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    You are, though.... Once you get an idea, you usually have it built within a couple weeks. I'm not sure this one even took that long.

That's what I find amazing. It usually takes me longer to work out the details, although I have done some things quickly. My first ideas are not usually good ones, and after a few days I see what would be better, so I have learned not to start too early. I have learned I need some "percolation time" to get the best result.

You seem to have the whole thing designed much faster.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    danlb--Thank you. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over, knowing that somebody thinks I'm amazing. I'll go to bed tonight with a big smile on my face.---Brian

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    I can speed the engine up a bit by relocating the alcohol flame. I'm sure that ice on the cylinder would make it run longer--not real sure about faster. The engine runs for about 20 minutes until the cylinder heats up enough that there isn't much heat differential between the flame and the cylinder temp.--Then it slowly dies and stops.

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    As an experiment, put some ice over the cooling fins. I predict the engine will speed up substantially.

Is there an icicle handy?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X