Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Tiers
    replied
    Here is another video with an explanation of what he did and why....and what did NOT work, along with his idea of why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpLDDccROx4

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    I found an hour to play today, so removed the 8 mm rope wick and installed the 6 mm rope wick instead. Now I find that when I flip the engine over by hand to see if it will start, it blows out the flame.--Consistently. I assume that the 95% alcohol will be more apt to stay lit, than the 70% that I currently have. The engine still acts as if it may actually run, but certainly not with the flame going out so easily.
    How high is the wick with respect to the valve opening? Most seem to have th wick just below, so that the flame is in front of the valve, but the wick is a distance below.

The 30% water may also be cooling the flame enough that it is easy to blow out.

This one (linked at least twice already) has a sort of "throttle" that adjusts the location of the wick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Tpgc8LwiU

The lever on the side turns the tank moving the wick closer and down, or farther away and up
    Last edited by J Tiers; 03-01-2018, 10:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    I found an hour to play today, so removed the 8 mm rope wick and installed the 6 mm rope wick instead. Now I find that when I flip the engine over by hand to see if it will start, it blows out the flame.--Consistently. I assume that the 95% alcohol will be more apt to stay lit, than the 70% that I currently have. The engine still acts as if it may actually run, but certainly not with the flame going out so easily.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/me...7127p.html#srp
    AKA: denatured alcohol, methanol, wood alcohol, etc , etc...
    $4.99 for a litre.
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    3Phase--You are absolutely right, that is what is recommended. I didn't think it was that easy to get. I will call my hardware store and see if they carry it.---Brian
    It's also available on Amazon. That's actually where I last bought it.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    3Phase--You are absolutely right, that is what is recommended. I didn't think it was that easy to get. I will call my hardware store and see if they carry it.---Brian

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    No luck today with the 70% alcohol. Engine refused to run on it. I do have some "real" work today, so haven't had much time to play with the engine. I don't think that 8 mm diameter cotton rope is going to do for a wick either. I have to jam it in so tight to get it down the 1/4" wick hole that it interferes with the wicking action. I called the pharmacy about my 95% alcohol that was supposed to come today, and somehow they have lost it--I'm waiting on a phone call. The magnet I have J.B. welded into the engine base does a great job of holding the alcohol tank in place. If I get my 95% alcohol I will try it with the 6 mm cotton rope wick.
    This is what you want to use. Should be available at any hardware store.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    No luck today with the 70% alcohol. Engine refused to run on it. I do have some "real" work today, so haven't had much time to play with the engine. I don't think that 8 mm diameter cotton rope is going to do for a wick either. I have to jam it in so tight to get it down the 1/4" wick hole that it interferes with the wicking action. I called the pharmacy about my 95% alcohol that was supposed to come today, and somehow they have lost it--I'm waiting on a phone call. The magnet I have J.B. welded into the engine base does a great job of holding the alcohol tank in place. If I get my 95% alcohol I will try it with the 6 mm cotton rope wick.

Leave a comment:

• Lew Hartswick
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post
    You can get methyl hydrate (methanol) at Canadian tire Brian, its sold as gas line antifreeze.
    Cheers,
    Jon
    WHY is Methanol (Methyl Alcohol) called methyl hydrate? Do the same people call Ethyl Alcohol ethyl hydrate??? It would appear to me rather stupid. Even the molecular structure is the same form.
    I use to play chemist on TV. :-)
    ...lew...

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    You can get methyl hydrate (methanol) at Canadian tire Brian, its sold as gas line antifreeze.
    Cheers,
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• Seastar
    replied
    Lew--I was born in '46, but the hydro lines never came through our part of Ontario until about 1953 or 1954. Nobody used coal, but then again we were right in the center of Ontario's arboreal forest, so everybody burned hardwood for heat. My father was an Orangeman, and I well remember him and mother taking me to dances at the old Orange Hall in Detlor--It was lit by two great big gas lanterns that hung from the ceiling on hooks. Everybody threw their coats down behind the piano once the hall got heated up by the big wood burning stove, and when I got too tired to stay awake my mother would lay me down on the pile of coats and I would sleep there with the other small kids. Nobody got babysitters back then. People went to dances and took all their kids with them, and it seemed to be the most natural thing to do.---Brian
    That's a great story Brian!
    I was born in 1932 and just yesterday remarked to my wife that I looked at the future until I was 40, looked at the present until I was 70 and now, at 85, I look at the past.
    (probably because I have so little future)
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Cuttings--I have some 95% coming tomorrow.---Brian

Leave a comment:

• Cuttings
    replied
    Brian - The isopropyl alcohol probably won't work. I tried it on my sterling engine. Not enough heat.
    I got some methyl hydrate at a hardware store, which is 99%, works great. A lot more heat.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Lew--I was born in '46, but the hydro lines never came through our part of Ontario until about 1953 or 1954. Nobody used coal, but then again we were right in the center of Ontario's arboreal forest, so everybody burned hardwood for heat. My father was an Orangeman, and I well remember him and mother taking me to dances at the old Orange Hall in Detlor--It was lit by two great big gas lanterns that hung from the ceiling on hooks. Everybody threw their coats down behind the piano once the hall got heated up by the big wood burning stove, and when I got too tired to stay awake my mother would lay me down on the pile of coats and I would sleep there with the other small kids. Nobody got babysitters back then. People went to dances and took all their kids with them, and it seemed to be the most natural thing to do.---Brian

Leave a comment:

• Lew Hartswick
    replied
    I well remember kerosene (we called it coal-oil) lamps. That is all we had when I was a kid.
    Right on Brian. We had the same from the time I was 6 till the end of WWII . Even had a 2 burner "Coal Oil" stove in the kitchen for the summer . Winter was just coal stove. :-)
    ...lew...

Leave a comment:

• Seastar
    replied
    Brian
    Can't wait to see your "licker" running.
    As always your posts and builds are very entertaining!
    Good work!
    Bill

Leave a comment:

Working...
X