Brian does Ridders flame eater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Brian

Did you check Home Hardware? I have bought 5 mm lamp wick from them in the past. Perhaps they may have some thing you can manipulate to serve your purpose.

Bert

Comment

Oil lamp wicks, kero lantern and heater wicks are made from natural fibers. Cotton sash cord, jute cordage or even strips of cotton tea towel braided together would work.

Comment

Just for a test, fire up the propane torch! I use it on my atmospheric engine all the time for quick demo. Go for it OD!

Comment

Exciting video Brian! Won't be long now!

After your video this one popped up and I just had to watch. 3:50ish mark the guy uses a torch to power the motor for awhile. Nice trick for testing stuff I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Tpgc8LwiU
          Andy

Comment

VPT--Thank you for that. I didn't know that I could do that.---Brian
            Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
              Exciting video Brian! Won't be long now!

After your video this one popped up and I just had to watch. 3:50ish mark the guy uses a torch to power the motor for awhile. Nice trick for testing stuff I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Tpgc8LwiU
              Yeah, that's the one with a very different valve that I mentioned earlier.... it is REALLY free running, from the video. I do not think it matters much what the flame is.
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Where is Oldtiffie when we need him? I don't think this wiki article has yet been posted: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_engine
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

I had some "real" work at my office across town today, but before I went I degreased/de-oiled the engine and tried firing it with my propane torch. It didn't take off and run on it's own, but it did give some very heartening effort. It tried to run, which thrilled me all to pieces, but then I had to leave and go earn some money.
                  Brian Rupnow
                  Design engineer
                  Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

And away we go with fabrication of an alcohol tank!!
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Alcohol tank--take-2--and that finishes the steel part of the tank. Next up will be the brass tank top, screw on lid, and wick holder.
                      Brian Rupnow
                      Design engineer
                      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• One more silver soldered joint and some polishing and we should have a finished tank.
                        Brian Rupnow
                        Design engineer
                        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• And Hey presto!! We have a finished tank. Now all I need is my wick. Tomorrow I will counterbore the top of the base for a rare earth magnet and J.B. Weld it into place, so that when I get the tank positioned properly it won't bounce around when the engine is running.--And now you know how I've spent my day.
                          Brian Rupnow
                          Design engineer
                          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Beauty!
                            So this thing runs of an external flame??
                            Does it produce enough power to do any work or this a model type of engine only?
                            Cheers,
                            Jon

Comment

• John--These engines are much like a Stirling engine. They have enough power to run themselves, and that's about all. They are called "flame eaters" or "flame suckers" because they suck the flame in through the port, then the port closes and the flame goes out. The flame going out results in a rapid loss of heat and creates a partial vacuum to pull the piston back up. There is no power driving the piston towards bottom dead center--that is left up to the flywheel. I have never built one of these engines before, but there are dozens of videos of them running on Youtube.
                              Brian Rupnow
                              Design engineer
                              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Amazing!
                                Thanks for the explanation.
                                Cheers,
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X