Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of the great technical descriptions of all time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the great technical descriptions of all time...

I had a guy come into the shop yesterday with a length of tube which was threaded on one end. Pointing to the threads, he said "I want this stuff on the other end". Sheeesh.

"So I took it from him, flipped it around, and said, 'That'll be fifty dollars.'"

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Did he pay up?
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

That was as bad as the guy who brought half of the bandsaw blades he ordered back because the teeth were going in the wrong direction.

Frank

[This message has been edited by PolskiFran (edited 08-21-2004).]

[This message has been edited by PolskiFran (edited 08-21-2004).]

Comment

The best one we did, was when we replaced some common sized drill bits with the left hand type in my friends drill index box.

Comment

I use left hand drill bits all the time, for putting metal back in holes that I drilled in the wrong place...

Ian
            All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Some forty years ago I was a college student working part time as a bicycle mechanic in the local family owned shop when a fellow, who claimed to be an engineer, walked in with a chain ring in his hand.

Stepping up to the counter, he asked us to tell him how many teeth it had.

"Just count them," I said.

"But where do I start?"

I swear I'm not making this up. . .

FF
              Cheers,

Frank Ford
              HomeShopTech

Comment

I was once asked to drill a 1" hole crosswise thru a 3/4" bar.
                I asked which piece they wanted, got a blank stare, and was told the whole bar.........

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x39:
                  I had a guy come into the shop yesterday with a length of tube which was threaded on one end. Pointing to the threads, he said "I want this stuff on the other end". Sheeesh.</font>

Could also mean he wanted it threaded on both ends.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I,at one time, repaired small engines.
                    Had this old guy come into my shop and ask for some bolts for a "red chainsaw".
                    I did not think he was serious so I said I only have bolts for yellow chainsaws.
                    The old guy thank me and left to look elsewhere!!
                    e
                    please visit my webpage:
                    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Frank reminds me of an incident in a bicycle shop that I worked at.

This 35+ year old gal who had some issues would come in every once in a while. I was nice 99.9% of the time, but she would always complain about the price of anything. She also claimed that we were always ripping her off. Anyhow... She had this 3-wheeled bike that had a 3 speed hub on it that she used to deliver newspapers. I always found that 3 speed hubs were funny in that they never seemed to wear out but if a little too much grease or dirt got in them, forget it. They would get stuck in one gear and just refuse to change.

Our standard procedure was to disassemble the hub, clean and reassemble with just a little grease in the right places. Well this gal came in and wanted us to fix this bike. She said that it wouldn’t shift. And she told me that she could see through the hub and she knew why it was not working.

I quickly decided that this was a ploy to accuse us of overcharging her. So I told her that if she could tell me exactly what was wrong, I would only charge a quarter of our normal rate because I would not have to trouble shoot every part in there. She must have thought about it for an hour. Then finally she said, "Its the hoochie wacker! Fix it before I return."

So I took the hub out, disassembled, cleaned, greased and reassembled it. Worked great. I charged her normal rate claiming that the hoochie wacker was is great shape but all of the dirt was holding back the whorod. She paid and my boss, looking at the receipts that evening, couldn’t decide if he should laugh or fire me.

[This message has been edited by rockrat (edited 08-22-2004).]
                      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

"I had a guy come into the shop yesterday with a length of tube which was threaded on one end. Pointing to the threads, he said "I want this stuff on the other end". Sheeesh. "

Whoa, that doesn't seem so bad to me. Pretty straight forward, IMHO. I've had a lot worse.

Comment

What I like is people that want something made and you explain to them that this is an item you can buy for less but they insist. So I go out buy it and charge for my time the part plus profit, easy work.

Mike

Comment

I had this Amish fellow come in and ask me to put a keyway in this shaft, on the right hand end. I handed it back to him with the key facing the left hand, I got this blank stare for a couple of seconds until I turned it around for him..

Comment

"..drill a 1" hole crosswise thru a 3/4" bar..." Hmmm.

John, did you suggest two 1/2" holes as a suitable work-around?

Comment

Working...
                              X